• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    So I am new here... :rockwoot:Thank you Thank you. Good to be around such great people. Anyways I am waiting on my LTCH (New Year's resolution I actually felt I could keep) and I am trying to decide on a gun. I have read a decent amount about how I shouldn't worry too much about a gun as long as I am getting something reliable because chances are I am going to change holsters, positions, wardrobe, and probably carry guns as I progress and figure out what I like. That being said I don't want to drop a TON of money trying to figure out what is best. I understand this isn't a cheap endeavor but I don't want to drop 250 every two weeks because I didn't do my research.

I would like something with decent capacity (more than 7 rounds) but am not necessarily against having 7 with an extra mag or two. I like the idea of a double stack but I have heard that the width makes it more difficult to conceal and if you get a compact double stack you might as well get a bigger service pistol since the width will be an issue before the OAL will be. I would like to stay with a 9mm for the time being since I am out of practice on Target Shooting (Shot when I was a kid with my dad but hinges are rusty... don't worry I plan on training and taking NRA classes in Fort Wayne.) With all that being said I like the idea of...

1.)The Springfield XDm Compact 9mm. I have held this and the XDs the (S) felt great in my hands and would conceal great but I like the idea of more ammo
    2.)I like the Glock 19 4G but I had a good friend say he would not trust this in a defensive situation... what say you?
    3.)And I recently had the suggestion of S&W M&P 9mm but have not read much on it as of yet

I would love to hear some veteran carriers sound off on these... I know that you can dress around any pistol but like I said, if I go double stack should I just get a bigger pistol to double as home/outside defense? Anything else I am missing practically? I would have no issue spending 400-700 on a good gun and set up initially.

Thanks Guys and Thanks for having me.
    GC

Last edited:

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    It sounds to me like you are describing a glock, M&P, or xd. It's all about what you feel the most comfortable with. Glocks and M&P are incredibly reliable and go bang every time. What is the reason your friend gives for saying the glock 19 is bad in a defensive situation? You will find a large group here (including myself) carry g19s quite often and they have been 100% reliable. I'd say which ever gun you pickup and feels good to you, that's the one to go with. Personally, not a fan of XD's, but lots of people are. Id also look at a Glock 26, but the 19 is about the most perfect there is.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    All the guns you talked about are very good guns. I carry a glock 19 gen3, in a cooks iwb holster and It conceals with no problems. I would just suggest you get a quality gun belt and holster and carry it around the house as much as you can to get used to it.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Any of the models you listed would be a great carry gun. The Glock 19 is what I usually carry and I have no idea why your friend would not "trust" it. My advice is to choose a good quality handgun that you like and can carry comfortably, choose a high quality defensive round to carry in it, and then practice with it and become very proficient handling/shooting it.

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My friend said he wouldn't bet his life on a G19 limp-wristed fire if say he were shot in the arm or just for some reason couldn't have a sure grip. I think he meant more of a stovepipe rather than a failure to fire... I haven't held a Glock 19 yet but I everything I have seen on them screams great gun. Sometimes my buddy has opinions and speaks em like Gospel... hey, we all do it.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You have picked three that will work.
    Anyone that says aG19 gen 4 isn't reliable doesn't know
    much about... Well,anything.
    P.S. I don't own a glock and I've had an xds &xdm!

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Pick something you will carry!! Noobs make the mistake of buying into capacity and that means heavy. Heavy gun gets old to carry iwb or owb in the adventures of life. If it is uncomfortable you won't carry. 7 rounds is better than not carrying at all. I don't feel undergunned in the least bit, 7+1 works for me. Plus single stacks are so small a extra mag isn't a issue.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    make sure what you pick is comfortable for you to hold and shoot. All guns listed are great guns. and if you limp wrist any gun it may not function properly. just my :twocents: Also don't forget to look around for a used Sig, sometimes you find them for a decent price!

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've gotta say I just started using a Mills Tactical hybrid leather / kydex IWB style holster for a Sheild 9mm and it's almost like it isn't there. It melts into just about any clothing I'm wearing; jeans & T or slacks & a tucked in dress shirt. The leather was a bit stiff at first + it took some time to figure out the best position but now it's great.

Custom made Kydex works great for holsters & Brian Mills makes all of mine.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    My son was limp-wristing the G17 when he was first learning. The only problems it generated was an occasional hot casing down the front of his shirt. Once he tightened the grip, the casing ejected to the side as designed.

I carry a G26 or G17 depending on attire, situation, etc. FTF has never been an issue with these, I assume the G19 would be no different.

Ultimately it comes down to three things:

1. Does it feel good in the holster. If you are uncomfortable, you will probably not carry it.

2. Does it fit your hands

3. Can you deliver a round reliably to the target with it. This includes reliability of the gun and shooter (get training and practice regularly)

After a while you may change based on conditions, training, or gun-envy.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Try to get your hands on the 3 manufactures everyone has listed and I'll add Kahr to the list. Get to the range with some friends so you can handle and shoot the different models and makes. Some ranges rent guns and you can try various models there if you don't have access to one.. I have spent lots of money figuring out what I like what I shoot well and what carries well. Not all those fit in 1 build there is no 1 size fits all. My 2 prefered carry pieces are a Glock 26 and a Kahr CM9.

And about that "friend" that said you can't trust a Glock well I would look into a new friend as well.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Don't go cheap on your belt and holster. Get training. "Fifty FLAWLESS rounds" isn't even a warmup.

Anyone else want a turn on this soapbox?

Any of the guns you mentioned would be fine. Pick the one you like and shoot it. A lot.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The Kahr CW9 is good - small, 7+ rounds, light, reliable (after break-in if new), good grip, no annoying safety, not too expensive. Not as easy to carry as my old PF9 (I'd for get I had it), but the Kahr is easier to hold and doesn't beat up the hand like the PF9. Easy to conceal for just about anyone.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have a XDm 9 compact and love it. 13 round capacity in the short Mag and carrying it concealed, I don't even feel the weight of it...I can carry it all day, no issues. Reliability is not an issue either.

All three of those choices are excellent, just choose the one you like best.

Last edited:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I would also suggest taking a look at the Sig SP2022. It is probably the most underrated firearm Sig Sauer sells, most likely because it has a polymer frame. It easily fits into the price range you are looking at and is a top tier handgun to boot. I own one in 9mm and one in .40 and have no problems with them and find them to be very accurate. But it always boils down to what feels best in your hand. Find someplace to rent one or someone willing to let you shoot theirs and that will help you determine what is best for you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Medium size, striker fired guns. Good choice! Stay with popular models and resell will be easier if you decide to change. Also holster selection will be better. Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, Ruger SR9, Walther PPQ and FNS are all good choices. You will find that the Glock 19 and M&P seem to have a good following.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I bought a G19 in April of last year, finally started going to the range in October. I've been going pretty much every weekend since and I've not had a single issue with this gun and I've been using pretty week Federal Champion, WWB and reloads a buddy did for me. Not sure about other people's experience, but that's mine. And yes, I recommend the G19, of course after trying all you can out to see what you like best.

Top Bottom