• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've gotta say I just started using a Mills Tactical hybrid leather / kydex IWB style holster for a Sheild 9mm and it's almost like it isn't there. It melts into just about any clothing I'm wearing; jeans & T or slacks & a tucked in dress shirt. The leather was a bit stiff at first + it took some time to figure out the best position but now it's great.

Custom made Kydex works great for holsters & Brian Mills makes all of mine.

I am thinking of buying a Shield for IWB carry. I see you really like your hybrid holster. Do you think it is necessary for a gun like the Shield? My nephew and my brother carry either a Sig 938 or a Walther PPK and they carry in one of these:

Tuck-N-Go-O-L_t.jpg

They say they are comfortable and inexpensive. What are your thoughts? Have you tried a minimalist style like these?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    For what it's worth I have an xd subcompact in 9mm and am trying out a glock 19 to replace it. The grip is a little longer on the glock which makes it easier to shoot and the glock has a better trigger.

Whatever gun you go with, get a proper gunbelt. I tried a few that I did not like (I got a pretty crappy one from the NRA store) until I got one with a kydex stiffner that I love Gun Belts & Apparel - products new home - Kydex Reinforced Contour Belts .

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I am thinking of buying a Shield for IWB carry. I see you really like your hybrid holster. Do you think it is necessary for a gun like the Shield? My nephew and my brother carry either a Sig 938 or a Walther PPK and they carry in one of these:

Tuck-N-Go-O-L_t.jpg

They say they are comfortable and inexpensive. What are your thoughts? Have you tried a minimalist style like these?

I've tried holsters like that even for my full size guns. I'm OK with them IWB at about the 5 o'clock position. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to appendix carry though. You can re-holster the weapon if you use Kydex + the gun kind of snaps in and stays put better imo. Mills version like that in Kydex is ~$52.

Appendix Kydex Holster

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Tuck-N-Go-O-L_t.jpg

I've been using a DeSantis very similar to that and while it's good for occasional light wear, over time it gets to be a pain. From advice from this forum and other resources online, I've found that a hybrid holster, like a CompTac, CrossBreed, or Alien Gear work better for long term wear as they spread the weight over a larger area. I ordered an Alien Gear myself and I'm awaiting it's arrival. I went with it, over other options, due to the price and reviews stating it is very good for the price. Only ~$10 more than a holster like you posted (I've seen my DeSantis for $25 and the Alien Gear is $35).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like you are on the right track with the three you are considering. Your buddy does have a point in regards to the G19 being susceptible to limp-wristing, but that is pretty much the case for most lighter handguns. It also tends to happen with target ammo as opposed to SD ammo. If carrying a good quality SD round, you should not have to worry much about that. There are a lot of good mid-size guns on the market today. My favorite in 9mm is a CZ 75 Compact. It's one of the most comfortable handguns to shoot available. They are heavier than a polymer gun, but that weight makes them a dream to shoot by damping the recoil somewhat.

I'll add yet another voice to the 'buy good gear' chorus. You will be amazed at how much you can spend on holsters by trying to spend as little as possible. A good belt designed to carry a gun is a must. Nylon holsters are a complete waste of money and will let the gun flop all around, even with a good belt. If you go with a Glock (or any gun without an external safety), a hard shell holster is better than a holster of a type of leather that can soften over time. Molded horsehide is an exception to that since it is more like a hard plastic than soft leather and makes one of the best holsters available. Holsters that can soften have lead to accidental discharges when the holster folds and gets caught in the trigger guard.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've tried holsters like that even for my full size guns. I'm OK with them IWB at about the 5 o'clock position. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to appendix carry though. You can re-holster the weapon if you use Kydex + the gun kind of snaps in and stays put better imo. Mills version like that in Kydex is ~$52.

Appendix Kydex Holster

Yeah, I am planning on carrying at 4-5 o'clock. Re-holstering no biggie for me.

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Well it sounds like I need to start shooting... Anyone around Fort Wayne know of good shops with ranges that rent guns?

Thanks in advance!

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    My advice is the smaller the better. Smaller guns are more comfortable to carry. It's just a fact. I know someone will come and say that guns are meant to be comforting not comfortable, but I am in the "the best gun is the one you have on you" camp.

Do note that smaller guns are harder to shoot though.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I would just add the Ruger SR9c to the mix. All the advice about a good belt is spot on. I prefer OWB...couldn't get used to a gun jammed in my pants :dunno:

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot the Ruger SR9c and found it to be very unreliable but I don't know how well he kept it cleaned. But FTF and FTE abounded with that gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have shot the Ruger SR9c and found it to be very unreliable but I don't know how well he kept it cleaned. But FTF and FTE abounded with that gun.

I picked up a Ruger SR9c to test. I found it to be a well constructed gun. Definitely a best value. I wish you were closer I would check that gun out for you. Would also let you try out the Glock, M&P, SR9c side by side.

gjclark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My experience with the Ruger isn't the end all discussion obviously, but I think I would like to get a Springfield or Glock. I appreciate the offer to check them out! That really is the next step for me.

like I said if my buddy has an opinion he speaks it like gospel. Gotta love him though. I trust his opinion on a lot of stuff but he may have had an experience like I did with the Ruger

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yeah, Im not even a big fan of Glocks, but I cant say that they are unreliable. Sure they have the same issues that any other similar pistol would have, but they are a quality machine with a very reliable track record. Outside of operator error, or bad ammo, they are pretty boringly reliable.

The other options listed in the OP are equally reliable, and would most likely be very reliable as well.

The only thing I would say about a first time SD pistol for carry, bigger isnt always better. A smallish pistol will most likely be more comfortable to carry, and as a result be something you will be more apt to carry more often.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would suggest a medium sized gun to start. The larger gun will be easier to shoot well. Once you are comfortable with that then you can add a smaller. Remember that you are responsible for every shot that leaves your barrel. The G19 and M&P full size are not hard to carry unless you need to deep conceal.

Regarding the XD series of guns. I have seen several instances when a person did not get a proper grip and the gun would not fire. So there is the achilles heel of tbat design. I mention this only to illustrate a point about guns and opinions. Overall the XD, Glock, M&P or SR9 should be reliable. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So you would more quickly suggest an XDs or a similar single stack purely for comfort?

I recently picked up a G26 "baby Glock" thinking it would be better for carry than my G19. There is a difference, but it's so small I find myself carrying the G19 more often. A compact gun like the G19 (and many others) is great for home defense, great for the range and comfortable for EDC as well, especially with the right holster. There are certainly thinner and/or lighter guns out there for carry, but I'm not sure if they would be as versatile as a compact sized handgun. I don't think I'd enjoy firing a gun that small as much as I do the G19. YMMV though.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I recently picked up a G26 "baby Glock" thinking it would be better for carry than my G19. There is a difference, but it's so small I find myself carrying the G19 more often. A compact gun like the G19 (and many others) is great for home defense, great for the range and comfortable for EDC as well, especially with the right holster. There are certainly thinner and/or lighter guns out there for carry, but I'm not sure if they would be as versatile as a compact sized handgun. I don't think I'd enjoy firing a gun that small as much as I do the G19. YMMV though.

A big part of your carry gun choice can be simply how deep does the concealment level have to be? For instance, when I'm at work, I'm allowed to carry by the owners, but nobody can know. The deepest concealment option for me has to be in play. When away from work, I carry my FNS. Depends on what carry method works for you, too - IWB offers greater concealment than OWB, for instance - but doesn't work for all people or situations, myself included. You can probably get away with just about anything as far as IWB - but if you've got to have a tucked in shirt, for instance, just how accessible is your gun to draw if the need arises? It's not a magic talisman, it's a tool that you'll need access to when the balloon goes up. So for me, at work is pocket carry (tucked in shirt part of the dress code) but away from work is OWB or less frequently IWB with untucked shirts for cover garment.

YMMV. WHATEVER you decide on, train on THAT gun and carry method - a quick draw and rounds on target from your competition OWB rig doesn't matter at all if you always carry in the pocket, for instance.

Last edited:

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    it comes down to what you feel is most comfortable. i was in the same boat as you, out of practice wanting a 9mm, and looking at essentially all the major choices. You just need to get hands on, in my case i went with the m&p

Top Bottom