• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brushscrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thank you to all who was able to welcome me in the introductions section. Now onto a question that has been plaguing me since Saturday.

Tomorrow morning I will be finishing up applying for my LTCH by giving my local the money. If all goes well (don't see why it may not), once I receive the license I will be purchasing my first handgun. I have always had my 12 ga shotgun for bird hunting, and a Hungarian M44 Rifle for coyote hunting. But have never dealt with a handgun. I went on Saturday to Beech Grove Firearms and although they were fairly busy they went out of their way to help by showing my some choices. I am wanting to purchase a handgun mainly for personal protection since my neighborhood has been going down for the last couple of years, but I am also interested in possibly getting into competition shooting. My buddy has advised me (he already carries) that he doesn't think there really is a handgun meant for both of the things I want one for.

I would rather purchase for protection now then keep adding later for the other reasons. My problem that I seem to have is that I am not sure in the direction of choosing a good handgun for protection and carry. I can tell you that the sub compacts and medium size I did not like. I have large hands and I felt like I would drop the dang thing.

So now the actual question. Is there a particular gun that would be good starting out with? I am looking around 700 or less in budget (I know this limits me on somethings). I really would prefer something larger caliber than 9mm. Or is there some direction that I should go to? Any help would be appreciated (I'm thick skinned lay it on me)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    People with big hands like me really seem to like the Beretta 92fs (M9). It retails for about $650 new I think, but there are tons of used ones too. It is full size, and very accurate. It's not so great for personal protection, since it is hard to conceal because of its size, which is why I added a Beretta PX4 Storm as my CCW.

Other highly popular, and recommended pistols with adjustable back straps are the S&W M&P, and Springfield XDM.

I recommend 9mm, since the recoil is manageable. 40 caliber is too much recoil for me, and worse, it costs a lot more. Plan on shooting 200 rounds each time you go to the range.

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    $700 is a good budget for a first handgun.

Sounds like you are looking for a full-sized gun in .40 or .45. If it is your first handfun, look for a gun with a fairly simple manual of arms (not a lot of levers and gizmos). You might favor a single action auto (like a 1911 - Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc.), or double action only/safe action (Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD, etc.).

I am a Sig man myself, but it is a DA/SA and maybe not the best choice for a first handgun. It is double action for the first shot, and then all subsequent shots are single action. The Beretta 92 and many of the older smith and wesson semi-autos (39, 5906, 4506, etc) are this way too. Most DA/SA autos also have safety levers, decocker levers, or levers that do both. Once you get good with a pistol, these aren't hard guns to learn to use at all. Many people use them all the time and use them well. I like this setup, but not everyone does.

A 1911 type gun will have a safety only and will have a single action shot on every trigger pull. It has to have the hammer cocked to fire.

A Double action only is just that. Every shot is double action. Glocks and Springfield XD's are "sorta" in this category. They have a consistent trigger pull for every shot, but don't have exposed hammers, so they are "the same but different" than traditional DAO models.

BTW, Single action is called that because pulling the trigger accomplishes only ONE action (dropping the hammer). Double action is called that because the trigger performs TWO actions (cocking the hammer and dropping the hammer).

All in all, my opinion is to check out:

Springfield XD in .40 or .45

Springfield or Kimber 1911 in .45 - 1911's can get pricey, but you can find good ones within $700.

Glock 22 (.40) or 21 (.45)

Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 or .45

There are many others, but the above would be a good starting point I think.

Now, this is assuming you are talking a semi-auto. If you might like a revolver, I could do another post just on that!!LOL

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    By the way, the guns I mentioned could be used for home defense, carry, or competition. I don't mean to disagree with your friend, but I know a few people that carry full-sized guns concealed.

I myself have CC'd: Sig P226, H&K USP .45, Full-sized 1911's, Sig P220 and probably a few others I am forgetting.

These days, I carry a Sig P229 or P225 usually. These would be "mid-sized." But, if the mood ever hits me, I would carry a full-sized gun again and not think twice.

As for competition, it depends on what type you want to do. IDPA competition could be done with any of the mentioned guns. They have different categories depending on what type of gun you have.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Any particular reason you don't want a 9mm?? You want something to carry for self-defense then you need to be proficient with it. That requires practice and a lot of it. You can shoot 9mm all day long for a lot cheaper than say a .40 or .45.

The Beretta 92 is an excellent choice. It is large framed and would be great for someone with bigger hands. Ultra reliable, incredibly accurate, and just about the smoothest shooting pistol out there. They also make the 96 which is basically the same gun in .40 if you're hell bent on not owning a 9mm, although I can't see why you don't care for them. I'm a average sized guy, not big or small really and I effectively carry the 92 every day concealed and/or open without a problem.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I concur with the suggestion of a Beretta. It's nice for it's size and not really hard to conceal if you dress with conceal in mind. I can carry mine in a Galco Jackass shoulder rig without any problems.

The Beretta 96 is .40 cal and a great gun that has 11 round mags.

If you're not into a Beretta I would next suggest an XDm 40. Similar size to the Beretta 96 and in .40 cal the mags hold 16 rounds, which is awesome in my book. Hence I have one. The XDms are nice because they come with 3 different sized backstraps to help you find a size that works for you. Also they come with a over the waistband kydex holster and a double mag carrier. Another nice thing with the XDm is that you can swap out the barrel only and go from shooting .40 cal to 357 sig, which is a pretty nice round, and use the original mags without issue.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I would look at the FNX or FNS series guns. It has ambi controls and interchangeable backstrap inserts. 9 MM should be fine...especially with 17 rounds in the magazine.

Also, what sort of competition are you interested in? That makes a big difference. For IDPA and similar, you can get a carry gun that will also work for competition. For Bulseye, that is a different story...

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have carried many. 1911 Kimber and Colt. .380 S&W Bodyguard. M&P 9C and a Sig P239. Many good choices. Get one that feels goOd and points well. Try to shoot it first. I am still amazed with my Sig. Reliability and accuracy is amazing

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Go to a range and rent various handguns.

Shoot them.

Find out what feels good and what platform makes sense to you.

If you can, set aside $100-$150 of your allotted cash for a nice holster and gun belt if you plan to carry.

Your choice of holster is nearly as important as your choice of handgun.

Good Luck my friend.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    People with big hands like me really seem to like the Beretta 92fs (M9). It retails for about $650 new I think, but there are tons of used ones too. It is full size, and very accurate. It's not so great for personal protection, since it is hard to conceal because of its size, ....SNIPPED

Just curious here but how does it's size make it not great for personal protection? Seems to me it might make it more difficult to conceal as you stated but conceal-ability has nothing to do with it being good for personal protection.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    do it right the first time and buy a Glock. if you prefer large frame pistols and do not want a 9mm then the Glock 22 would be a good choice for you. this pistol is a full size .40 cal that has a mag cap of 15 rounds. if you would like something bigger than that there is also the Glock 21 witch is a .45 auto with a 13 round mag cap. you cant go wrong with a Glock. it is the preferd choice of law enforcment offices and comp shooters alike.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    do it right the first time and buy a Glock. if you prefer large frame pistols and do not want a 9mm then the Glock 22 would be a good choice for you. this pistol is a full size .40 cal that has a mag cap of 15 rounds. if you would like something bigger than that there is also the Glock 21 witch is a .45 auto with a 13 round mag cap. you cant go wrong with a Glock. it is the preferd choice of law enforcment offices and comp shooters alike.

alos the new gen 4 Glocks have interchangeable backstraps similar the the smith & wesson M&P.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Find someplace like Indy Trading Post, where you can rent a few different guns, and try them on the range. At least pick up and hold as many as you can and see how they all feel in your hands. A bonus we have at ITP is if you rent from us and decide to purchase a gun, we will take your full rental price off of the purchase price of your new gun!
    You didn't mention your location, but if you near the south side of Indy, and I can be any help to you, let me know!

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I'm going to recommend Glock. I chose Glock for my first handgun with the G-26.

First off, is there a reason your want a larger caliber then the 9mm? I recommend 9mm for anyone who is beginning to shoot. It's cheap so you can get a lot more practice then more expensive calibers and you can become very proficient. The next handgun you get, you can choose a larger caliber (I took this route). I'm not looking to start a caliber war, but I'm very confident carrying a 9mm handgun compared to larger calibers. Please rethink your caliber choice.

You can have a sub-compact or compact handgun and it will be just as accurate as a full-size, in my opinion your friend is wrong. I plan to get into competitions with my G-26 which is a sub-compact. I wouldn't feel my handgun lacks what other shooters are using. You need to try as many handguns are you can get your hands on. There are all good recommendations here. Go to the range that rents, ask others on here if you can meet up with them I'm sure they'd be glad to help! You really want to be happy with your handgun, don't rush to buy just any. It took me 3 months to decide my first handgun.

I'm going to recommend the Glock 23 which is a compact .40.
    Along with that I'm going to recommend the Glock 19 which is a compact 9mm.

I still going to recommend a Glock 27 which is a sub-compact .40 which can be rented at Indy Trading Post. Also the Glock 26 which is a sub-compact 9mm which can be rented at Pop Guns.

I choose the sub-compact because I can always turn it into a full-size with a mag. from a full-size handgun and a flush mag. ext. so the mag doesn't show. You can't make the full-size smaller. Though please try any of these models I listed, you will be impressed. You can't go wrong with a Glock! Simple and reliable.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Personally i would go with a Sig and with a $700 budget i would get a Sig Pro 2022 in 40 s&w. At 400 bucks there is money left over for a nice belt and holster. Not to mention plenty of practice ammo. I got my Sig Pro for under 450 shipped and transfer fees paid with a box of Winchester white box. It might be a polymer framed Sig but for the price its still a sig and its fun to shoot. Been my EDC since they day i received my LTCH.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well with a $700 budget you have several very good options to choose from.
    Step one: you have already handled some and ruled out a compact or subcompact sized handgun. :yesway: Nothing wrong with that, it needs to feel comfortable to you!
    Step two: you kind of have an idea on what caliber you want. another :yesway: I will note that the 9mm. is nice for cost of ammo, but if you don't want 9mm nothing wrong with that, again it is your gun, get what you want.

I would get a list of possible makes and models and see if you can at least handle them to see how they feel and if at all possible shoot some of them.

I am a Glock guy so my first pistol to recommend would be the G22, but that's just me ;)

Glock 22 or Glock 21
    XD40 or XD45 fullsize
    Beretta 96
    Sig
    all are great choices, just see what feels best to you and go with what you like. Do you want a striker fired or a hammer?

Don't rush into anything. Keep doing what you are doing and research as much as possible.
    Best of luck with your decision. :ingo:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Any particular reason you don't want a 9mm?? You want something to carry for self-defense then you need to be proficient with it. That requires practice and a lot of it. You can shoot 9mm all day long for a lot cheaper than say a .40 or .45.

+1 to this

Shooting isn't cheap and being a somewhat new OWNER... practice is the key.

1box/50rds 9mm = $10 - $13
    1box/50rds .45 = $18- $22

One trip to the range = 2+ boxes of ammo... the savings start to add up fast.

Bigger rounds also mean less shots per clip. I personally would feel every bit as confident with a 30rd clip of .22 mag being woken up in the middle of the night by burglars, in a large dark house as I would with a 7rd clip of .45acp. But thats just me....

Not to make a ton of debate because obviously this subject has been run into the ground...

but bigger caliber isn't always better for everyone....

As far as guns... since you prefer a larger gun. Seriously check out a 1911 of some sort. Even if you end up shelling out a little bit more. The more I shoot semi-auto the more I realize that they have been going strong for 100+ years for a reason. Pure magic!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom