• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Just curious here but how does it's size make it not great for personal protection? Seems to me it might make it more difficult to conceal as you stated but conceal-ability has nothing to do with it being good for personal protection.

I just meant that it is hard to conceal, which might mean you prefer to leave it at home, and therefore perhaps not the best choice. I am thin, but a heavier built guy would probably have no problems concealing a full sized M9.

I haven't been to the range to find out if my Px4is as accurate as my M9, but it is surely a bit smaller, but still full sized actually.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    just buy a glock the first time JMHO. I have owned all sorts of guns looking for that perfect carry gun. Everytime i get let down except with my glocks. I would get a g19 but if you are against 9mm go with a g23 in 40 or a g30 in 45

Knight 1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    South indianapolis
    I agree with trying first whatever you can barrow or use at the range. Your first impressions are often just that, first impressions and will most likely change with time. Take a little time.

Brushscrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for all your comments and help in guiding me into a direction plus help me think of things a little clearer. I know there were some comments regarding 9mm, let me clarify that I don't totally object to them I was just considering something larger. I may feel that a 9mm feels just right. Also I know a larger frame is going to be harder to CC but I am willing to OC also. This I will have to still put thought into.

Went to the library and got me some info to read up on. I started reading last night the "The Gun Digest Book of the Glock". I'm finding the information very interesting to read regarding Gaston Glock's start and how they have come about. I wasn't necessarily interested in the Glock to begin with, the one I held at BGF felt nice, but after starting to read about the company I am starting to consider them a lot more. I will be writing down a lot of the suggestions that were made and looking at them.

I agree that with those who suggested hitting a rental/range and trying different handguns out. A little money output is worth spending a lot on something you find out you really don't like then don't use.

I will say this: It takes me a little time to make a decision on something like this. Just because this morning they told me I should expect my license in 10-14 days does not mean that I will be running out and buying anything willy/nilly. It took me a year and half before I bought my Canon T2i camera, did a lot of research before I bought that and glad I did. I plan on researching just as much before I purchase my first handgun (hopefully won't take near that long 2-3 months hopefully). Then will be seeking classes and range time before I start actually carrying. (A little too much? I don't think so, I want to be happy and safe)

I appreciate those who responded to this question and if someone has something else to throw in I will be glad to hear it.

Thanks again. :)

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    The best advice I can give the OP is to try some out and see what you like. There are places where you can rent guns. You can also see if family or friends will let you try theirs. That's what I did.

I started out with a FN Five-Seven. It's was large and shot a .223 type cartridge. I've since sold it and purchased two .380s. I use these for CC. I also have two .45s. the first one is a 1911 type and the other is a Glock 21. The two .45s are for in the home defense and the range. Like the OP I'm looking to do competitive shooting and I plan to join IDPA in the not too distant future.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I wasn't necessarily interested in the Glock to begin with, the one I held at BGF felt nice, but after starting to read about the company I am starting to consider them a lot more.

I was just like you! I told myself I won't hop on the bandwagon, I felt like they we're over-rated! Though after trying different handguns and doing my research. I realized Glock was best for me. I realize now why their so popular.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I like my 45 caliber 1911. I also like frame safeties. I may change my mind on that, but considering where my shooting grips places my thumb atop the safety its a lot comfortable for me to shoot that way.

I have medium to smallish hands. The G26 and the G19 are good handguns, but the grip just isn't comfortable to me.

The M&P series felt a LOT better in my hand than a glock. I do not have one yet, but its my next purchase after I get my AR lower receiver.

I chose a 1911 as it really is a fantastic machine, and it can also be a great work of art.

Also, try a few calibers before you try, and if you are only shooting once a month, is cost really that great lf a factor for ammo (except for classes)?

I would go 9 in a polymer, or 45 in a steel frame. 40 might be too snappy for a novice to control. Not saying you can't, its just that the newbies I see shooting a 40 are borderline unsafe during recoil.

PokerMack1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Terre Haute
    First hand gun experience I would recommend a 22 also. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot.

I would also recommend the FNX series. I don't care what anyone says about 9mm. If you are good with your equipment and you can pick your shot placement then a 9mm will do the job just fine

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Go to a range and rent various handguns.

Shoot them.

Find out what feels good and what platform makes sense to you.

If you can, set aside $100-$150 of your allotted cash for a nice holster and gun belt if you plan to carry.

Your choice of holster is nearly as important as your choice of handgun.

Good Luck my friend.

Best advice so far.^^^^^^^^

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    My first was a Ruger P85 and over the years and many handguns later, I'm very partial to Springfileds and Kimbers. You just can't go wrong with a good .45, good stopping power and a time and time again proven round. Many law enforcement agencies are switching from .40s to .45s because of this. With the right round, all you need is one shot...

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Take a good look at Stoeger Cougar 9mm for $400 you get A LOT of gun. Great trigger, easy to shoot, accurate.

Might also look at the Ruger SR9c 9mm it is another excellent gun.

Stoeger also makes a .40 and .45

So does Ruger

Last edited:
    Top Bottom