• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Shot at my first IDPA match. What a blast! Also very stressful. Didn't shoot too terribly, was quicker than a few others and had fewer penalties than a few others. One stage just totally sucked. The beginning was to shoot a popper until it fell down which would cause a silhouette to turn which you had to shoot three times before it finished turning. Normally I can hit a target that size all day until the barrel melted, but yesterday that wasn't the case. I finally got the popper down and was so surprised that the rotating target had turned so far I could only hit it once. The other parts of that stage were shooting strong hand only and weak hand only. After getting the popper down and shooting the silhouette I did a tactical reload before engaging the next two targets on the right, two shots in each, then going way back to the left and engaging two more targets with my weak hand. I was so flustered that I had started to fall back into old habits such as not focusing on the front sight and severely anticipating recoil. When that magazine was empty I just called it quits and took the penalties for any poor shots without making any up. I was already toast on time. Being a hot day with no breeze, add nervousness to the equation with the beginnings of dehydration I'm not surprised I screwed up that stage. After I got some water in me I started doing much better.

This afternoon I'll find out how I did. Definitely not the best but I don't think I was dead last. And I'm already registered for the next one in August! I'll be better prepared then, in the lands of equipment, nerves, and making sure the human machine is ready.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Congrats on your first match. It's a great way to find out what skills you need to work on!
    You will never look the same at just target shooting ever again.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    To be honest, it'll be hard to go to the range anymore and just punch holes in paper. But it'll be a good place to practice weak hand only, strong hand only, trigger control and just getting on target.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Let me join in and congratulate you as well! Competitive shooting is such a blast and a wonderful tool for showing you both your weaknesses and strengths! Keep going and let us know how it goes!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Welcome to the sport from a fellow IDPA N00B. I found that its more fun at this stage if you simply have one goal in mind; DONT DQ!!!!

Relax, have fun, do your best, and dont worry about anyone but you. (and staying safe) Once you learn to concentrate strictly on getting your shots and staying safe, you'll have more fun. Eventually the rest (climbing the leaderboard) will take care of itself.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Congrats on taking the step into competitive shooting. I'm still trying to figure out the game and ways to improve.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    IDPA is great. SO much different from just shooting paper! Keep at it and you'll continue to improve. I shot a few matches last year, but haven't had the time this year. I hope I can find the time next season as it's a lot of fun.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Welcome to the sport from a fellow IDPA N00B. I found that its more fun at this stage if you simply have one goal in mind; DONT DQ!!!!

Relax, have fun, do your best, and dont worry about anyone but you. (and staying safe) Once you learn to concentrate strictly on getting your shots and staying safe, you'll have more fun. Eventually the rest (climbing the leaderboard) will take care of itself.

Getting a DQ is my biggest worry.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It's not the end of the world. My problem is I'd beat myself up over it until the end of time.

You'd be joining a very long and distinguished list, Rob Leatham, Jerry Miculek, me , etc, ad infinitum :) .

A buddy who is a gun safety instructor told me once that "anybody who spends enough time at the range will occasionally do something stupid" . I think he is right, fortunatly if you follow the rules you pretty much have to do two stupid things at the same time before something bad happens.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    You'd be joining a very long and distinguished list, Rob Leatham, Jerry Miculek, me , etc, ad infinitum :) .

A buddy who is a gun safety instructor told me once that "anybody who spends enough time at the range will occasionally do something stupid" . I think he is right, fortunatly if you follow the rules you pretty much have to do two stupid things at the same time before something bad happens.

:+1:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It's not the end of the world. My problem is I'd beat myself up over it until the end of time.

I think a lot of people would feel this way. You definitely don't want to develop bad habits that would lead to a DQ in a match but the opposite end of the spectrum is worrying about earning a DQ to a point where it stops you from progressing as a shooter. You want that threat to always be there and have it force you to always be mindful of where you are and what you are doing. but what you don't want is when it becomes your sole focus while participating in a match instead of trying to improve your other skills. As was said earlier, sooner or later your brain takes a turn south and you earn it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'd suggest studying the rules at www.idpa.com and then in a safe environment with unloaded gun, practice handling the gun as per the rules. Maybe this would help alleviate some concerns.
    I also, suggest that you go to a couple of matches simply to observe and not shoot and get a sense of what it is all about.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

There is an old saying adapted to practical shooting sports: there are two kinds of shooters - those who have been disqualified at least once and those who will be disqualified some day.

Very few people go more than a few years in the shooting sports without at least one DQ. Mine happened on the last stage of a USPSA state match when I tripped on a fault line. As I was going down, I decided to drop the gun in the gravel to use both hands to save my pretty face. I was DQ'd, but I survived!

Top Bottom