• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is an old saying adapted to practical shooting sports: there are two kinds of shooters - those who have been disqualified at least once and those who will be disqualified some day.

Very few people go more than a few years in the shooting sports without at least one DQ. Mine happened on the last stage of a USPSA state match when I tripped on a fault line. As I was going down, I decided to drop the gun in the gravel to use both hands to save my pretty face. I was DQ'd, but I survived!

^^THUS^^ Other than the pretty face part LOL. Seriously though If/When a DQ happens don't take it personal it is just the rules. Think of it as a crawl, walk run thing. The majority of folks have nevr done anything close to an IDPA/IPSC/ICORE etc etc match where there is "running with a loaded gun and some thought process"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well you have to set priorities and a face that pretty doesn't come along every day. Jim.

You, sir, are clearly an erudite and perceptive individual.

^^THUS^^ Other than the pretty face part LOL. Seriously though If/When a DQ happens don't take it personal it is just the rules. Think of it as a crawl, walk run thing. The majority of folks have nevr done anything close to an IDPA/IPSC/ICORE etc etc match where there is "running with a loaded gun and some thought process"

Well said!

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think a lot of people would feel this way. You definitely don't want to develop bad habits that would lead to a DQ in a match but the opposite end of the spectrum is worrying about earning a DQ to a point where it stops you from progressing as a shooter. You want that threat to always be there and have it force you to always be mindful of where you are and what you are doing. but what you don't want is when it becomes your sole focus while participating in a match instead of trying to improve your other skills. As was said earlier, sooner or later your brain takes a turn south and you earn it.

I'd suggest studying the rules at www.idpa.com and then in a safe environment with unloaded gun, practice handling the gun as per the rules. Maybe this would help alleviate some concerns.
    I also, suggest that you go to a couple of matches simply to observe and not shoot and get a sense of what it is all about.

I've been practicing gun handling since the match. Working on everything that I know makes me nervous or slows me down. Such as drawing, reloading and holstering.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There is an old saying adapted to practical shooting sports: there are two kinds of shooters - those who have been disqualified at least once and those who will be disqualified some day.

Very few people go more than a few years in the shooting sports without at least one DQ. Mine happened on the last stage of a USPSA state match when I tripped on a fault line. As I was going down, I decided to drop the gun in the gravel to use both hands to save my pretty face. I was DQ'd, but I survived!

I'm just taking the whole thing slow and letting the skills progress. Practicing and just going to have fun at each match. If I DQ, well I'll have to see how that goes with my brain and how it works. Just try not to dwell on it and learn from it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My recommendation on any shooting competition. Every event is as much mental as anything else. Start by concentrating on getting everything right and shooting a clean match. Once the mental habits are in place, you can make speed/sccuracy improvments without fear of penalties due to mistakes or doing anything dangerous. jmho.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm just taking the whole thing slow and letting the skills progress. Practicing and just going to have fun at each match. If I DQ, well I'll have to see how that goes with my brain and how it works. Just try not to dwell on it and learn from it.

You will be fine, While a lot of IDPA shooters do take themselves a little too serious there are a lot of great folks that will help. Simply let the range officer/match director know you are learning, keep your eyes and ears open and they will walk you through it. At most clubs Unless there is a blatant safety violation they usually take it easy on the judgement calls on new shooters compaired to the call of duty 3 champion that actually got off their couch.

Good luck

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Second match finished yesterday. Time of my first match was 186.somethingorother and yesterday's was 172.38. Not bad, I don't think. Yesterday's match was intentionally harder so the faster guys get some more challenging practice before the state match in a few weeks. Each stage had moving targets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Second match finished yesterday. Time of my first match was 186.somethingorother and yesterday's was 172.38. Not bad, I don't think. Yesterday's match was intentionally harder so the faster guys get some more challenging practice before the state match in a few weeks. Each stage had moving targets.

As you know now, the overall time can vary widely based on the specific courses of fire for the day. Gauge your performance and progress relative to how the others finished for a given match.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    As you know now, the overall time can vary widely based on the specific courses of fire for the day. Gauge your performance and progress relative to how the others finished for a given match.

I get what you're saying.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    rhino; Missed you Saturday at Wildcat, you pre-registered but didn't show. Did you get caught up in the mase of Indiana road closures? I had one detour so that wasn't too bad but some there had a horrible time. Jim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    rhino; Missed you Saturday at Wildcat, you pre-registered but didn't show. Did you get caught up in the mase of Indiana road closures? I had one detour so that wasn't too bad but some there had a horrible time. Jim.

I couldn't make it again. I sent a withdrawal request through Practiscore and email to Larry to let him know I wouldn't be there.

This whole adult responsibility thing is still new to me. It gets in the way of my life and I have not yet learned how to effectively manage the two at the same time.

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I went to a few IDPA and USPSA matches last year at the North Porter County Conservation Club and I had a great time. They were the first times I've every shot competively and I really enjoyed it. I usually fall in the middle of the pack so to speak when it comes to scoring. My speed is probably average, accuracy average, and usually don't have to many penalties. I haven't been this year yet, but I'm hoping to go this Sunday to a IDPA match.

Top Bottom