• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    After reading this thread I have started to make sure that my registration and my handgun are in separate locations. I would like to keep it on me, but I haven't found a holster that I can stand sitting in my car with.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I will NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN tell an officer I am carrying. I had a very bad experience with an IPD officer when pulled over for speeding on 38th st. I DID NOT offer the information. I was specifically asked, and I said "Yes, but I have a license to carry". She then made me put my hands on the wheel, called for backup, had two officers disarm me with hands on my head in the middle median, (while driving my full wrapped company truck, by the way). It got worse from there, but the rest was my fault.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that all LEO's know the gun laws, and do not fool yourself into believing that all LEO's agree that YOU have A RIGHT TO CARRY.

The law is YOU DON'T have to inform. Very little good can come from informing, in most situations.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    I will NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN tell an officer I am carrying. I had a very bad experience with an IPD officer when pulled over for speeding on 38th st. I DID NOT offer the information. I was specifically asked, and I said "Yes, but I have a license to carry". She then made me put my hands on the wheel, called for backup, had two officers disarm me with hands on my head in the middle median, (while driving my full wrapped company truck, by the way). It got worse from there, but the rest was my fault.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that all LEO's know the gun laws, and do not fool yourself into believing that all LEO's agree that YOU have A RIGHT TO CARRY.

The law is YOU DON'T have to inform. Very little good can come from informing, in most situations.
    I doubt it would have turned out better if you had lied (not even sure if this is legal) or had avoided answering the question. Sounds like you just got unlucky with who pulled you over, seems like it would have been a crap-situation anyway you look at it, if the officer directly asked you.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying 6 years ago, but I had already learned the hard way to temper my sarcastic nature.
    Getting pulled over by a Rookie in Carmel years ago for one of my license plate lights being out, then answering his question about what was in my back seat with "Oh, just a dead body" did NOT go over well :(

I still remember looking down the barrel of his sidearm while it was pointed at my face..

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Had a coworker get pulled over several weeks ago (well, former coworker now, since I changed jobs...)
    He was about to reach for his registration and remembered he had his loaded 9mm in the glovebox, so he informed. Officer asked to see his LTCH (lifetime), then had him exit the vehicle, sit on the ground against the back bumper (where he couldn't see what the officer was doing) and the officer got the registration out of the glovebox himself...

Sounds a little extreme to me and an easy way for an officer to search without consent. Granted, the coworker is a 19 year old, but a pink paper is a pink paper.

I was always advised that IF I had something in the glvoebox or something the officer would EASILY discover in the open, hand over the LTCH with the license just so the officer didn't feel "surprised"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Anyone listen to the Garrison Show? I am the guy that got pulled from his car gun pointed AT MY HEAD and cuffed on 465 because the State Police officer saw my pink LTC. I am 65 years old, live in Hamilton County, have Disabled Vet plates, and drive a BMW............I ain't a home boy. He took my gun and license back to his car, leaving me sitting on the guardrail IN HANDCUFFS. Everything, gun, registration, insurance, was up to par he just didn't like seeing that pink LTC. He un-cuffed me handed me my gun and license and walked away without saying a word.

Garrison said report him and NEVER show your LTC unless it's asked for. I didn't do the former, I know how that game goes You get pulled over EVERY SINGLE TIME you leave the house but I do keep my license buried deep in my 'George Kastanza' wallet.

Great, so if I pull over anybody else fitting that description, I'll just assume there's no way on earth that you could possibly be a threat.
    Gundoc, where you live, what you drive, and your military status (of which I am thankful), entitles you to no more rights than the homeboy you referenced. Your rights were violated, and if you were a homeboy, that wouldn't change.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    And you filed a complaint with ISP I assume?

No way on earth. I have seen this game in action. A friend filed a complaint in Ohio years ago and his info went on the dash of the majority of LEO's in the area. He was pulled over like 6 times in a week and was finally told" you know one of these days I may spot a bag of coke on your back seat." My friend got the 'hint' and moved to upstate N.Y.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying 6 years ago, but I had already learned the hard way to temper my sarcastic nature.
    Getting pulled over by a Rookie in Carmel years ago for one of my license plate lights being out, then answering his question about what was in my back seat with "Oh, just a dead body" did NOT go over well :(

I still remember looking down the barrel of his sidearm while it was pointed at my face..
    Rookie is like that, he means serious bidness.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a fine line between asserting your rights and being a dick,this guy just may be on the wrong side of said line.
    First, how does one person have so many interactions with LEO's?
    Second, how many tickets did he rack up by acting like a jerk?

And in that first video, why is the guy huffing and puffing like he just ran a mile? Oh, wait, I see the answer.

I am disappointed that I had to wait unit 5:00 to hear, "am I being detailed?

The title's a bit misleading, "How to Survive a Traffic Stop" as generally everyone who's not a jerk also "survives".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can escape major catastrophes And not end up with a ticket and/or detained if you are polite and honest. Even if the officer doesn't understand the law completely. I found that out the hard way today. But I'll start my own thread later when I get to a real computer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No way on earth. I have seen this game in action. A friend filed a complaint in Ohio years ago and his info went on the dash of the majority of LEO's in the area. He was pulled over like 6 times in a week and was finally told" you know one of these days I may spot a bag of coke on your back seat." My friend got the 'hint' and moved to upstate N.Y.

Why thank you officer. I knew investing in this recorder would pay off. Thank Jello that it uploads to the cloud and my lawyer has the access to it.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    To me the Douchebag in the video is an attention whore who likes to rile police up to see how far it will go. Just like the idiots who open carry rifles into restaurants and video tape the resulting LEO interactions. Yet another shining example of fine citizenry.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    To me the Douchebag in the video is an attention whore who likes to rile police up to see how far it will go. Just like the idiots who open carry rifles into restaurants and video tape the resulting LEO interactions. Yet another shining example of fine citizenry.

Because LEO's don't need to be tested by those they have power over, right?:rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

These people used to hide in basements. Thanks, You Tube.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I've only had my LTC a few years. Took a great class with Sheriff Ken Campbell in Lebanon. Asked him what to do if you get stopped while carrying. He told me about him getting pulled over in NM and telling the officer he was The Sheriff in a county in Indiana and he had his gun. Even said he'd show the officer his badge if he wanted to see it. Said the officer freaked out and had him spread eagle across his car. He said after that experience he didn't know if he'd tell another officer he was carrying or not anymore.

A few months ago I was pulled over close to my home in Carmel and both myself and son were carrying. When the lady officer approached the car I told her I and my son both had LTC permits and we both had our guns. She was cool and said where were they. We both told her in our right pockets. She said ok just leave them there and walked back to her car. . She gave me a warning for a license plate issue and then I thanked her for not freaking out when we told her we were carrying. She said no problem. The next day I called her Lieutenant and told him how cool she acted and he thanked me for letting him know.

I have a few friends that are cops and they all told me they thought it best to let a Officer know if you were carrying if pulled over so I plan on telling them until my mind gets changed.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was pulled over about three months ago for speeding. I handed the officer my DL, registration, LTCH and told him I had a firearm in the vehicle. He asked where it was and I told him in a holster on my right hip. He said that was fine and to just leave it where it was. He returned with a ticket which sucked like a straw factory, but thanked me for letting him know about the firearm. I posted my positive experience about how things went. I got the usual other side debate, but until I have a reason to change my mind I will be as good to officers by informing as they will let me be.
    What do you mean by " good to officers"?
    obviously, you can do what you want, but personally after having MY pistol thrown onto the roof of my van after being forcefully taken from me and pointed at/toward my wife and me, I will NEVER again inform an officer of something that is NONE OF HIS FREAKING BUSINESS!!!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Classic! Got into an aurgument with a very close LEO buddy of mine. At that time he took possesion and ran numbers on every gun he came across. (he no longer does this.) His excuse was that him having the gun was safer becaue he KNEW where the gun was. So I asked him about the backup weapon or other guns in the car. By the look on his face he sorta missed that one.

Or better yet a cop asking about my gun but completely forgetting about my wife in the vehicle with me.
    ^this!
    the cop that took my pistol didn't ask nor ever new about the back up in my waistband, the rifle right between the front seats, the range bag with six or seven other handguns or the s**tload of ammo within reach.
    he felt perfectly "safe" as he turned his back on me, and walked back to his car with ONE of my guns in his possession.

Top Bottom