First time shooting a gun, how does it feel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    I know like there should be already a post about it, but how does it feel like?
    My first time experience of shooting a gun was last year, and it was pretty staggering. My plan includes 4 types of ammunition, which are 9mm, .308winchester, 7.62*39, and the ordinary 12 Guage, before that I only shot airsoft, so obviously it was a much louder, but also much expensive.... (yeah they charge 4 people each almost 140 Canadian Dollars to four person each...)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I know like there should be already a post about it, but how does it feel like?
    My first time experience of shooting a gun was last year, and it was pretty staggering. My plan includes 4 types of ammunition, which are 9mm, .308winchester, 7.62*39, and the ordinary 12 Guage, before that I only shot airsoft, so obviously it was a much louder, but also much expensive.... (yeah they charge 4 people each almost 140 Canadian Dollars to four person each...)
    Take a visit to Indiana, Northwest part of the state. I'll schedule a meet and shoot around your visit and you'll get an awesome experience in shooting many various calibers. And the best part, won't cost ya a thing (other than the expense of the trip)

Calibers I'm pretty sure you could try

22lr
    22wmr
    .380acp
    9mm
    10mm
    .45acp
    357/38spcl
    223/556
    7.62x39
    6.5 grendel
    6.5 creedmoor
    450 bushmaster
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

I'm sure there'd be some others as well

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take a visit to Indiana, Northwest part of the state. I'll schedule a meet and shoot around your visit and you'll get an awesome experience in shooting many various calibers. And the best part, won't cost ya a thing (other than the expense of the trip)

22lr
    22wmr
    .380acp
    9mm
    10mm
    .45acp
    357/38spcl
    223/556
    7.62x39
    6.5 grendel
    6.5 creedmoor
    450 bushmaster
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

There are others here as well that can arrange for similar experiences as well in various parts of the state. Just let us know where you will be and somebody will probably be able to accomodate you. There is a saying called "Hoosier Hospitality", and its very prevalent here.

Hoosier is the term for people from Indiana... Long story that really doesnt have a definitive answer. We are only slightly less hospitable and polite than the average Canadian.(eh?)

And even though I'm fed up with Trudeau, I'm a frequent visitor up there. I spend a week every summer on Pelee Island. (I only continue to go because my money only goes to the cottage owner Owen Sound Transportation. We dont spend any more money in country)

Oh, and this will probably blow your mind. But INGO has events where we'll all get together at a private range and hang out for the day and socialize and shoot. Members bring ALL kinds of guns to shoot. And generally folks share and will allow others to test drive what they brought. I've seen everything from black powder guns and Derringers, to machine guns and black powder cannon. Its tons of fun.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The first firearm I used was a .22 single shot rifle at a YMCA summer camp when I was 10 years old. It was exhilarating to be punching holes in a target and learning one could do it accurately using the proper techniques.

Spin forward to 8 years later with a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver. The recoil I'd expected, but it was louder than anticipated, with a substantial muzzle flash. Shortly after that was a 7.62mm M14, which was a long, heavy beast compared to anything else I'd handled to that point. Recoil and report heavier and louder than I'd anticipated, but not enormously so. Since then I've fired numerous small arms, many military, including some very heavy weapons. It cost me some of my hearing. Protect yours.

Now I enjoy maintaining my proficiency with a range of calibers from .380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt and .357 Magnum in handguns, and 5.56mm, .300 Blackout, .350 Legend, and 12 gauge shotgun slugs in long guns. The heaviest recoil with loudest report of them all is shooting slugs with the 12 gauge shotgun.

I encourage you to try a number of revolver, pistol, and rifle calibers, plus a 12 gauge shotgun.

Last edited:

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I started with a Romanian .22 Trainer rifle before moving into an old Glenfield. Handgun-wise my dad taught me on a Colt Diamondback and a Colt Ace. I never did much with shotguns and still don't but I do plan on getting into sporting clays as soon as I get a few other projects done.

When I trained my girlfriend she used the same Romanian trainer that I did but hasn't shot since then.

My niece and nephew both learned on 10/22's and are now shooting AR's

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada

22lr
    22wmr
    .380acp
    9mm
    10mm
    .45acp
    357/38spcl
    223/556
    7.62x39
    6.5 grendel
    6.5 creedmoor
    450 bushmaster
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

Dang Sure I will let you know when I get to Indiana :thumbsup:

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    I started with a Romanian .22 Trainer rifle before moving into an old Glenfield. Handgun-wise my dad taught me on a Colt Diamondback and a Colt Ace. I never did much with shotguns and still don't but I do plan on getting into sporting clays as soon as I get a few other projects done.

When I trained my girlfriend she used the same Romanian trainer that I did but hasn't shot since then.

My niece and nephew both learned on 10/22's and are now shooting AR's
    See, this is totally a family-friendly recreation activity! I don't get it why some people would put hate on this

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    The first firearm I used was a .22 single shot rifle at a YMCA summer camp when I was 10 years old. It was exhilarating to be punching holes in a target and learning one could do it accurately using the proper techniques.

Spin forward to 8 years later with a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver. The recoil I'd expected, but it was louder than anticipated, with a substantial muzzle flash. Shortly after that was a 7.62mm M14, which was a long, heavy beast compared to anything else I'd handled to that point. Recoil and report heavier and louder than I'd anticipated, but not enormously so. Since then I've fired numerous small arms, many military, including some very heavy weapons. It cost me some of my hearing. Protect yours.

Now I enjoy maintaining my proficiency with a range of calibers from .380 ACP, 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt and .357 Magnum in handguns, and 5.56mm, .300 Blackout, .350 Legend, and 12 gauge shotgun slugs in long guns. The heaviest recoil with loudest report of them all is shooting slugs with the 12 gauge shotgun.

I encourage you to try a number of revolver, pistol, and rifle calibers, plus a 12 gauge shotgun.
    My summer camp was all about fishing and cabin on the hill, man....

Top Bottom