First time shooting a gun, how does it feel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I still lived in Hong Kong as a child, and when my dad told me about how we could go back and shoot guns whenever we want and I got excited. He wasn't a big gun guy, but his best friend was. Old man Bill was a 'Nam chopper door gunner so he knew his stuff, and we flew back to the states on my summer vacation to his farm in Wisconsin. I remember 12ga, .30-30, .45 ACP, and .38 Spl and maybe a few others. Well worth the 16hr flight :ar15:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The first time it goes off its usually a surprise if not downright shocking. For some it's even a bit of a letdown.

But, with practice comes more control. With control comes more confidence. With confidence cones relaxation. With relaxation comes pleasure.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I always thought Canada was "America lite" til I started hearing about the restrictions, and bans.. I once went to a website from a Canadian gun store, and was amazed at the short barreled shotguns, and rifles, then I commented to a Canadian about that being cool, and he told me yeah, but you still need the gubments "permission" to buy/own said firearm.

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    The first time it goes off its usually a surprise if not downright shocking. For some it's even a bit of a letdown.

But, with practice comes more control. With control comes more confidence. With confidence cones relaxation. With relaxation comes pleasure.
    Take it easy, but not easy like a video game

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    My summer camp was all about fishing and cabin on the hill, man....
    We also were taught how to use a basic bow and arrow. The pull required was geared for the strength of a 10 year old. Along with all that came instruction on firearm and bow safety with some demonstration of the dangers if one becomes careless or reckless. Sadly, these things aren't taught anymore. During hunting season, it was common to have rifles in gun racks visible in the rear windows of pickup trucks parked in the high school parking lot -- and we had a high school rifle team with some members bringing their own rifles.

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    We also were taught how to use a basic bow and arrow. The pull required was geared for the strength of a 10 year old. Along with all that came instruction on firearm and bow safety with some demonstration of the dangers if one becomes careless or reckless. Sadly, these things aren't taught anymore. During hunting season, it was common to have rifles in gun racks visible in the rear windows of pickup trucks parked in the high school parking lot -- and we had a high school rifle team with some members bringing their own rifles.
    Minus one point for Canada

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    I always thought Canada was "America lite" til I started hearing about the restrictions, and bans.. I once went to a website from a Canadian gun store, and was amazed at the short barreled shotguns, and rifles, then I commented to a Canadian about that being cool, and he told me yeah, but you still need the gubments "permission" to buy/own said firearm.
    Simply gone worse since Trudeau became the Canada's worst PM, then Trudeau Sr.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have to be honest, I’m not sure what I shot first but it was probably the high standard sentinel .22 pistol. Around 4 or 5? I do remember around 6 shooting a watermelon with a first gen ruger Blackhawk .357 shooting .38spls and dad telling me to go get the bullet and put the watermelon back together.

How did it feel? Hell if I remember 43 years ago lol.

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    I have to be honest, I’m not sure what I shot first but it was probably the high standard sentinel .22 pistol. Around 4 or 5? I do remember around 6 shooting a watermelon with a first gen ruger Blackhawk .357 shooting .38spls and dad telling me to go get the bullet and put the watermelon back together.

How did it feel? Hell if I remember 43 years ago lol.
    Memories count as a part of feelings as well:banana:

SeanT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2024
    Ontario, Canada
    There are others here as well that can arrange for similar experiences as well in various parts of the state. Just let us know where you will be and somebody will probably be able to accomodate you. There is a saying called "Hoosier Hospitality", and its very prevalent here.

Hoosier is the term for people from Indiana... Long story that really doesnt have a definitive answer. We are only slightly less hospitable and polite than the average Canadian.(eh?)

And even though I'm fed up with Trudeau, I'm a frequent visitor up there. I spend a week every summer on Pelee Island. (I only continue to go because my money only goes to the cottage owner Owen Sound Transportation. We dont spend any more money in country)

Oh, and this will probably blow your mind. But INGO has events where we'll all get together at a private range and hang out for the day and socialize and shoot. Members bring ALL kinds of guns to shoot. And generally folks share and will allow others to test drive what they brought. I've seen everything from black powder guns and Derringers, to machine guns and black powder cannon. Its tons of fun.
    thanks for the information, will do if I got the chance!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know like there should be already a post about it, but how does it feel like?
    My first time experience of shooting a gun was last year, and it was pretty staggering. My plan includes 4 types of ammunition, which are 9mm, .308winchester, 7.62*39, and the ordinary 12 Guage, before that I only shot airsoft, so obviously it was a much louder, but also much expensive.... (yeah they charge 4 people each almost 140 Canadian Dollars to four person each...)
    11.png

Top Bottom