• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The heck with Nobel Laureates; their immediate impact on average people's lives is pretty minimal, anyway. Let's really put this idea to the "Big Picture" test: as Alpo points out, we don't need to theorize about this subject. We already have a working laboratory where this idea has been tried and applied, right here in America, for decades.

Is Big-Picture life better in California than in the rest of the U.S., from the standpoint of the "average" person? Do average Californians have more to show than the rest of us, for the incredible expenditure of public resources which has been made on the California (Education) Dream?

It seems like they should have. If you're a Cal State employee with a Pension, I'm sure you can see it. But what about everybody else?

So folks such as William Shockley, Charles Townes, and Brian Josephson haven't had an immediate impact on your life? Use electronics much?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So folks such as William Shockley, Charles Townes, and Brian Josephson haven't had an immediate impact on your life? Use electronics much?

Read the rest of my post much? That's the point. California is supposed to be the Ur on the Hill that education proponents have been predicting all along, if they just got the per-capita education spending they always hoped for. They got it. And, in terms of the life of an ordinary citizen, it's pretty much just another state. Maybe a damn sight worse.

I think the proponents of free education need to explain why.

(P.S. - Herbert Brown said "Hi" to me in the Chemistry building at Purdue one day. So there).

Top Bottom