• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have always had crazy ideas jump into my head and wont go away till i do something, so hear it is.
    A Revolver thats shoots....... wait for it.........
    7.62x54r.
    i figure a judge 3 inch cylinder would be the starting point, a 30 caliber barrel, 2-3 inch will be fine, remember mentally ustable.
    and a really brave/stupid person to try it first, i vote me.
    thoughts?:D

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    and yes we may discuss other rounds, like.303 british perhaps. lol
    .30-30, 7.62x39, .308, they all sound real fun.
    Bruised palms, Broken Wrist, dent in forehead, and thats if it does not blow up.
    Awesome!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I saw a video of a guy firing the pistol he'd built on a PSL receiver. That would be like a 7.62x54 Draco. Yeah, fireworks.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The fireball would probably come from the top strap blowing off. The 45 Colt has max pressures around 14,000 psi. The 7.62X54 maxes out at more than triple that.

There are revolvers that could handle the pressure, but the cylinder would not be long enough. There is also a 600 nitro express revolver out there that could probably be modified for the 7.62X54, but why you modify a revolver to fire a less powerful round is beyond me....

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i would like to get in on this action. i love hand cannons!! i have a S&W 500mag and love the feeling of that monster in my grasp so something BIGGER would be awesome

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Have you guys seen any of the Mosins that people have hacked down to pistols? Two hand firing only! I would love to see one of those firing off in the dark..... talk about a fireball! :alright:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The fireball would probably come from the top strap blowing off. The 45 Colt has max pressures around 14,000 psi. The 7.62X54 maxes out at more than triple that.

There are revolvers that could handle the pressure, but the cylinder would not be long enough. There is also a 600 nitro express revolver out there that could probably be modified for the 7.62X54, but why you modify a revolver to fire a less powerful round is beyond me....
    So step one build our own cylinder, make it very strong. Cut up a mosin for the barrel, dont worry I have a very defective one that does not need it anymore. now for the frame, any ideas?
    o and i have found a way to justify this build.
    1 cause we can!
    2 more powerfull than the hottest 44 mag
    3 a whole lot cheaper to shoot than 44 mag
    4 Round has been used to kill polar bear.
    5 nuff said.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The cylinder would need to be custom to accommodate the bottle nosed cartridge and the only existing rovolver that would accomodate the length you need costs over $10,000

Or you could find someone to build a one off, which would be probably at least $7,500, especially if the builder did it right and used FEA software to design it and analyze the stress tolerance and had all the parts ultrasonic tested.

And in the end, you would save a ton on ammo when all you want to do is outshout a .44 mag and have something powerful enough for bear, which could easily be done for far less.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The cylinder would need to be custom to accommodate the bottle nosed cartridge and the only existing rovolver that would accomodate the length you need costs over $10,000

Or you could find someone to build a one off, which would be probably at least $7,500, especially if the builder did it right and used FEA software to design it and analyze the stress tolerance and had all the parts ultrasonic tested.

And in the end, you would save a ton on ammo when all you want to do is outshout a .44 mag and have something powerful enough for bear, which could easily be done for far less.
    Dont be a dontbe, be a doobe.
    7.62x54r base close to rim is .487. 45 colt is .48, so very minor difference there.
    the rifle round is 3 inch so the judge 3 inch cylinder should work. just needs to be stronger.
    as for the bottle nech cartridge, we could weld a thick washer with the outside diameter .48, inside diameter .33. 2 inches in to the cylinder and this should fully support the ammo and keep it lined up. a judges frame should be able to handle this just as long as the cylinder is strengthed. some grinding to the orrigal barrel where it enters the cylinder and attach mosin barrel, as short as possible, heh heh. let me now guys. did i forget something?

yes i did the washer idea was a brain fart. the case has to be supported all the way around or the case will expand and probably explode, the reason i have a mosin willing to give up a barrel is because of this. damn!
    but not giving up.

Last edited:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    and also more ammo to think about if the 7.62 is to difficult
    .444 marlin- big boom
    .30-30 just cool
    any rifle round with a rim is possible.
    Time to make the thunder roll.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    now that i have started reading about the .444 marlin, i'm a little excited.
    case .4706
    length 2.250
    spec wise it could go in a judge or governor. just need to overhaul cylinder.
    wow there is a real possibility.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    You could make one of these probably for less than having a revolver custom made. I can't remember if it's considered SBR or AOW if you get a virgin receiver and build up or take the rifle and chop down or both. I think it would be pretty awesome either way.

2C71C0CD.jpg

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    You could make one of these probably for less than having a revolver custom made. I can't remember if it's considered SBR or AOW if you get a virgin receiver and build up or take the rifle and chop down or both. I think it would be pretty awesome either way.

2C71C0CD.jpg

a virgin receiver, for a century old rifle? good luck on THAT hunt

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    a virgin receiver, for a century old rifle? good luck on THAT hunt

It may sound bat s**t crazy but I swear I heard a friend of mine say he found a couple. Whether he is telling the truth is not I don't know. He was dead serious about building this thing. This was about a month ago. I didnt look too much into it since I am not interested in building one. I may be telling pork lies and a bag of trop.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

2C71C0CD.jpg
    That is freakin awesome, but i will not settle, i want a revolver that shoots 7.62x54r like that pistol. the cylinder should be the real custom part. i will see if i can find someone onlined to cut it for me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom