• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think it is hilarious to see everyone type about having "permits" to protest!!! Last I checked it was a protected freedom under the Constitution to protest peaceably. But oh yeah....I forgot about that pesky H.R.347 that congress passed that made it basically illegal to protest anything, anywhere. Whether you support the reason for the protest or not (Westboro Church losers), it is a protected right.....well it was. Might as well erase that freedom from the Bill of Rights.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think it is hilarious to see everyone type about having "permits" to protest!!! Last I checked it was a protected freedom under the Constitution to protest peaceably. But oh yeah....I forgot about that pesky H.R.347 that congress passed that made it basically illegal to protest anything, anywhere. Whether you support the reason for the protest or not (Westboro Church losers), it is a protected right.....well it was. Might as well erase that freedom from the Bill of Rights.

It just depends on the message of the protest on whether permits are good or bad.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Would the reaction here be the same if cops in full riot gear showed up to one of the INGO open carry events?

Only if the police violated our rights for no reason. The police in the video gave notice to disperese, the protesters refused, police action was then justified. AND the "scary" police didn't do anything but stand there and look scary.

As said before, the keyword is "peaceably". These activists were not being peaceful (Non-violent, yes. But so were the police.) Occupy ___ is the reason for congresse's over-reaction in the form of HR347, do I agree, NO. And the Westboro people are more peaceful than these guys, despite their hateful message.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, I have less sympathy with the pro-murder crowd than I do with rabid coyotes. That said, if they can be forced to pay for the privilege of standing on a sidewalk airing their grievances, so can any of the rest of us. I find it alarming that a right has become demoted to a privilege available only with a paid permit in a designated 'free speech zone' which is usually in a location only marginally more conspicuous than assembling inside someone's garage. No matter how reprehensible their message, they do have a right to say it. My first question is why the police need to show up in the first place ready for war. After all, does that not fly in the face of presumption of innocence, or at least seem excessive compared with starting with officers in normal uniform? What is this with the face coverings? I can predict that arguments, but anonymity breeds a distinct absence of accountability. Do we really want anonymous individuals armed more heavily than the average soldier in a combat zone turned loose on our streets? Do we really want them to have armored vehicles, even if they are pretty sissified compared with real tanks? The balance has already shifted too far in favor of a police state. Do we really want to sit here trying to justify letting it go even further? I think not!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We're guaranteed the right to speech. We're not guaranteed the right to an audience. If people ignored them, they'd go away. It's no different than any of the heated debates taking place here. 2 people debating know that the other side will not change their mind but you are just the right person to convince them. Kind of hard to have a heated debate by yourself.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Doesn't the vast majority of violence on this issue originate from the right?

It seems as if the right wing will go as far as killing you in a church.

George Tiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't buy the violence arguments that are being tossed about as a legitimate reason to trample the 1st amendment.

Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition, this group did apply for permission and it was granted. This group simply stepped across the arbitrary line where their rights were granted. Apparently the lawn was okay, but the steps constructed by Thomas Jefferson are not a free speech zones.

History dictates that the police should have been protecting the protesters form right wing extremists. You know, since history is an indicator and all that jazz.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Permits are about MONEY.

Whether or not the protesters have been sufficiently taxed and granted "permission" to protest, does not change the fact that you could walk around the crowd.

Its ironic that you think peoples' "rights" have been "trampled" when they walk a few feet out of their way, but are perfectly willing to make people PAY for their right to assemble in public.

what...$10 to pay for the adminstrative costs? please

blocking a sidewalk for a peaceful protest is no different that blocking 465 for a peaceful protest...should i just drive around them?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I need an explanation on the "interrupttionless" (completely made up word) protest and its subsequent effectiveness. A protest without interruption is an email. Here is another tidbit, your leaders don't care about your emails. Send them one everyday. Their staff will send you the same form letter response. Get on the news? Drudge? Different story. Your emails do not make it onto the five o'clock news.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Peaceful protesters demonstrated at a pro-choice rally in Richmond, Virginia. The SWAT were called out to make arrests and intimidate the crowd.

I can just imagine the briefing that morning ....
    "Alright Men, your assignment today will be to make arrests and intimidate the crowd. ... any questions?"

Yeah .... I'm sure that's exactly what happened. The other side is just pure evil, right? If you did believe in the devil, you'd probably say they were possessed.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I can just imagine the briefing that morning ....
    "Alright Men, your assignment today will be to make arrests and intimidate the crowd. ... any questions?"

Yeah .... I'm sure that's exactly what happened. The other side is just pure evil, right? If you did believe in the devil, you'd probably say they were possessed.

That's kind of what I was imagining. And then they passed out the submachine guns and grenades.

SWAT TEAM!! PREPARE FOR GLORY!!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Looks to me like they did not block more than half the stairway.
    Looks to me like they got approached like they were terrorists.
    Looks to me like way overkill or a "show & tell day" for police grants.

But mostly,
    Looks to me like the future.

Top Bottom