• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had 3 chickens since June this year. So far, no real issues. Got about 1.5 eggs per day average. Back in September they all molted (feathers EVERYWHERE). Since then, not a single egg. Been 3 months now. These are technically my sister's chickens, so banned from the stew pot.

They have some high-protein food, and get some scratch every other day or so. Plenty of water. Lights inside and outside on a timer (2 hours in the morning and evening, for about 12 hours of light total). Even have a heated perch (electric heat tape on a thermostat, zip-tied to one of their roosting boards). They also get to leave their run a few times per week, especially since the weather has been so mild. They cruise the back yard for a few hours in the evening, and put themselves away for the night.

Any tricks to get some egg production going again?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    How old are they? Don't they stop laying as they get older? They may have just evolved into full time pets. Good luck. Tagging for interest because I think the boss has me talked into several chickens in the spring.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I had two that quit laying while they molted, right around 3 months. Once their feathers come back completely it shouldn't take long for egg production to pick up, but they also slow down significantly in the winter, in my experience. I don't give them a light however, as i've read a lot on how it's better to let them have time off and recoup. With my two starting back up however i am averaging 4 eggs a day out of 6 hens, so not to bad. Give it some time and if they're not to old, they'll be back to laying soon. Good luck

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Take your used eggshells and break them up and put it in their feed, or buy a calcium supplement to mix in their feed. We have 15 chickens and in the summer we got 12 to 15 eggs a day. When the weather takes a drastic change the egg production falls off. We have been keeping a log on our calendar of egg production and weather events.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Lights for 14 to 16 hours per day. Don't give them scratch/corn; just layer feed. Miss water for one day and they will stop laying, sometimes for weeks. Give them some raw apple cider vinegar in their water. If they are not free range birds you can give them some clover or alfalfa. Legumes can be up to 30% of a chicken's diet and the yolks will be dark yellow or orange.

7 Reasons Why Your Chickens Stopped Laying Eggs

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
      IMG_1281.JPG
      80.1 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll have to ask Shib how he handles these issues, he's the go to guy for questions like this.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) Well, I DID split wood right in front of the coop last weekend. Was hoping they would get the point....

2) MORE light? That's easy enough. I'll adjust the timer.

3) The layer feed is supposed to have plenty of calcium (oyster shell, I think)

4) I'll read the rest of that link, dirtfarmerz. Thanks!

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    More light will help but keep in mind that hens need to go through a rest period to get their bodies ready for laying the next year. Egg factories keep lights on 24/7 and the monitor each birds productiveness. No bird in an egg factory setting tends to see their 3rd year of life. Now the average laying life if 3-5 years for a hen. I started out by adding additional light in the winter but have since decided to let my birds go natural. I have birds who are now 8-10 years old who are still laying for me in the summer. I just don't see the point in pushing them past their natural abilities. It's sort of like puppy mills who over breed their dogs.

The layer feed has a proper amount of calcium for the layers, but having a separate feeder just for oyster shell is not a bad thing ether. The will have access to it if they need it.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Good stuff here. We have had our hens since September. No eggs yet but I would hope real soon. We only have 5, one turned out to be a rooster. .......btw......I have a six month old barred rock rooster I will trade for hen less than two years old.��

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    Best layers I've ever had was a trio of ISA Browns. Each gave an egg a day for almost two years. I've also had Golden Comets, Rhode Island Reds, and Buff Orpington's. None could touch the Browns.
    R:patriot:

Top Bottom