• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    I think it was asked before, but did we ever find out how the LEO discovered the weapon?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I think it was asked before, but did we ever find out how the LEO discovered the weapon?
    The guy must have disclosed in some way. Otherwise he would not have have consented to a search and not answered any questions, or disclosed any information, about weapons in his vehicle...as is his rights to do. They would have never known if he stuck to his rights.

NEVER disclose any information to an officer about anything you are not legally required to. NO good can come of it. Case in point.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I bet your friend is in Mt. Carmel, IL which is just a hair on the Illinois side. Since they're so close to the state line, this is probably a common occurrence.

Either that or he could mean Carmi, IL as well. It's not far from Mt. Carmel. If there is any bright side to this, it's almost as far from Cook County as one can be. Attitudes towards gun ownership are much different in that area than they are up north. Praying your friends oversight will not land him in prison with a felony.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I've said it before and I'll say it again ... there is something immoral about laws that turn you into a felon by the simple act of stepping over an imaginary line.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I've said it before and I'll say it again ... there is something immoral about laws that turn you into a felon by the simple act of stepping over an imaginary line.

^^This^^
    I am very fortunate to have been born on the right side of that imaginary line. My parents missed it by a few feet. :rockwoot:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    sorry about your friend.

Everyone should join the USCCA. They pay for all lawyers and fees in this type of situation.

They will give you 100% of your legal fees in case this ever happens. I believe there defense fund could help in this situation.
    Get a hold of the nearest firearms attorney away.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    If you are a law enforcement officer in Indiana. Can you carry your gun in IL. Pretty much cops are on duty all the time. And most carry while off duty.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It depends. I will make this story as brief as I can. One of my customers that comes into the shop works for an electric company. About twenty of them were in Chicago after a blizzard a couple of years ago helping the state get their power back up. While they were working they were approached by some disenfranchised youth that try to relieve them of their money. A handful of the workers drew weapons and informed the youths that they were going to keep their money for hamburgers and such. Said youths called Chicago's finest to tell their story of woe and said officers then went to the scene to arrest the Hoosier Hillbillies with their awful weapons. The Hoosiers said you can kiss my buttocks, and you better get on the phone with Daley and tell him if our guns go, we go, and we take our trucks and other equipment with us. Officers stated that after confering with the Mayor's office said Hoosiers can remain armed and continue their needed service to the state.

He said it was an interesting hour and that it does show that common sense can prevail when folks have 0 degree weather and no power.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Your friend definitely needs an Illinois criminal defense lawyer who fully understands Illinois gun law and has a positive working relationship with the local prosecutor's office.

Guy

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I bet your friend is in Mt. Carmel, IL which is just a hair on the Illinois side. Since they're so close to the state line, this is probably a common occurrence.

Tell him to get a lawyer and shut up.

I've heard of Indiana folks basically walking away on "No FOID" and "Unlawful Use of Weapon" charges in Illinois. If he's that lucky they'll confiscate and destroy anything related to firearms seized during the stop and give him a year of court supervision. YMMV
    I have run into plenty of thugs from Cook County with gun charges (or dealing charges, or what have you) "stricken without leave," so it's hard to see why the State's Attorney there would feel the need to crucify the OP's friend.

But he does need to do some penance for not being wary of other states' laws.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    There was a guy I worked with who took his loaded gun into Illinois. It was in the trunk in a shoe box. He was pulled over by the Illinois State Police and they asked to search the car. He gave them permission :facepalm:. They found the gun and told him that if it was unloaded and locked in a box separate from the ammo it wouldn't be a problem. But, since it was loaded, they confiscated the gun. He still has his ltch but they still have his gun. I'm not sure what he was formally charged with.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    There was a guy I worked with who took his loaded gun into Illinois. It was in the trunk in a shoe box. He was pulled over by the Illinois State Police and they asked to search the car. He gave them permission :facepalm:. They found the gun and told him that if it was unloaded and locked in a box separate from the ammo it wouldn't be a problem. But, since it was loaded, they confiscated the gun. He still has his ltch but they still have his gun. I'm not sure what he was formally charged with.

A shoe box? Really?

So they stole his weapon.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

We have laws of that sort here in Indiana. In fact, not only are some lines invisible, they may vary by time of day and the intended use of the property. (I'm speaking specifically about the laws pertaining to firearms and schools and the distinctions between church activities and school activities on the same property).

Top Bottom