• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    We have laws of that sort here in Indiana. In fact, not only are some lines invisible, they may vary by time of day and the intended use of the property. (I'm speaking specifically about the laws pertaining to firearms and schools and the distinctions between church activities and school activities on the same property).

I know. They're immoral too.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    If you are a law enforcement officer in Indiana. Can you carry your gun in IL. Pretty much cops are on duty all the time. And most carry while off duty.
    Well, here's where it's funny, IL plays differently so you may need to check. My Dad is retired CPD and in order to carry in the state he helped protect for over 30 years he has to qualify every year. The test is a joke and he says you'd have to be blind not to pass so thinking it's more about the fee he has to pay but somehow every other state seems to recognize that he is retired LEO.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Well, here's where it's funny, IL plays differently so you may need to check. My Dad is retired CPD and in order to carry in the state he helped protect for over 30 years he has to qualify every year. The test is a joke and he says you'd have to be blind not to pass so thinking it's more about the fee he has to pay but somehow every other state seems to recognize that he is retired LEO.
    Isn't that a federal thing? I'm in-lawed to a retired NY state trooper who lives in Phoenix. He can carry anywhere in the US including IL and DC but has to renew it yearly.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Misread what you wrote. Does the renewal involve qualifying with a firearm or is it more of a I'm still alive thing?

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It depends. I will make this story as brief as I can. One of my customers that comes into the shop works for an electric company. About twenty of them were in Chicago after a blizzard a couple of years ago helping the state get their power back up. While they were working they were approached by some disenfranchised youth that try to relieve them of their money. A handful of the workers drew weapons and informed the youths that they were going to keep their money for hamburgers and such. Said youths called Chicago's finest to tell their story of woe and said officers then went to the scene to arrest the Hoosier Hillbillies with their awful weapons. The Hoosiers said you can kiss my buttocks, and you better get on the phone with Daley and tell him if our guns go, we go, and we take our trucks and other equipment with us. Officers stated that after confering with the Mayor's office said Hoosiers can remain armed and continue their needed service to the state.

He said it was an interesting hour and that it does show that common sense can prevail when folks have 0 degree weather and no power.

I think it's a hoot that the thugs called the cops to complain that someone wouldn't let themselves be robbed.

It says a lot about the Illinois Mentality.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    It's scary as hell that there are places like Illinois that completely thumb their nose at the United States Constitution. What's even scarier is they get away with it. I have family that live just on the other side of the Mississippi river. I used to wonder why nobody lived in Illinois until I learned more about the place. I always heard that "just outside the state of Chicago is the town of Illinois".:noway:

agreed, it also doesnt help that our current president used to be a senator from Illinois...makes me angry, i feel bad for this guy that got pulled over...but like everyone else said...make sure you familiarize yourself with state laws

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about your friends unfortunate incident. That really sucks. Hope it goes as good as it can for him.

It is so stupid that we have to even worry about this issue! :xmad:

Best of luck to him

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    How do you "forget" something like that? Don't know what the penalty is, but I imagine it can't be good.

Indeed. I could see maybe forgetting you had left the range bag in the trunk or something, but truly forgetting ILLINOIS of all places doesn't allow carry is close to negligent stupidity.

Having said that, Good luck to your friend and I am deeply saddened by the fact he is in trouble because Illinois does not recognize the constitutional right he has bear arms.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    My apologies for not getting back sooner, but I want to thank everyone for their input. And I do have more information directly from him.

He was in Mt. Carmel pulling out of the parking lot of a fast food restaurant when a cop pulled him over. He was not speeding, what he says is that someone saw his gun when he took his jacket off and called him in and also gave the police info such as what car he was driving etc. He tells me that he was charged with a class A misdemeanor, not the felony. And he says that he has no criminal record. He also cannot afford a lawyer.

He wants to know if this will effect his owning a LTCH since it is a class A misdemeanor that involves a weapon? And any other advice that might help.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Never said it was in a shoebox, why would anyone carry a perfectly good glock in a shoebox? :dunno: Wouldn't it blow your foot off?

Although he did have it on his person along with two extra magazines.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Never said it was in a shoebox, why would anyone carry a perfectly good glock in a shoebox? :dunno: Wouldn't it blow your foot off?

Although he did have it on his person along with two extra magazines.

My bad, I got another story in this thread mixed up with the OP, lol

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    I've said it before and I'll say it again ... there is something immoral about laws that turn you into a felon by the simple act of stepping over an imaginary line.

Yes, It's immoral. Think of all the immoral money it will generate for all the immoral lawyers, judges, and courts. Also the immoral industry that makes and enforces these immoral laws. Made by immoral law makers. All paid for by infringed upon, mistake making, and generally speaking moral tax payers. Wat a mess. Maybe your friend should get ahold of the N.R.A. maybe they can help out ?? Good luck.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Scutter he may or may not have known this, he was barely in the state in an attempt to see his son for the first time in a couple of years and wasn't thinking about laws.

Roadie I kinda guessed that but couldn't help pointing it out.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I think that he still needs a lawyer. They charged him with a misdemeanor but I think that they could upgrade the charges to a felony due to the fact that it was loaded.
    If you cannot afford lawyer one will be appointed to you. Do you understand your rights as I have read them?

Top Bottom