• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah Ouch!

My Best Friend is a Cop in Lansing, IL and always Stresses to NEVER bring any of my Guns in Illinois, unless stored properly.

Mag, ammo, and Gun Stored seperatly and out of reach from vehicle occupants

If that is how your friend told you they had to be stored, he is either wrong or lying to you. The requirements are unloaded and encased. The center console/glove box as long as it has a latching lid is considered a case and mags/ammo can be kept with it. Here is a IL SC case about it.
    http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2009/october/106367.pdf

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    It depends. I will make this story as brief as I can. One of my customers that comes into the shop works for an electric company. About twenty of them were in Chicago after a blizzard a couple of years ago helping the state get their power back up. While they were working they were approached by some disenfranchised youth that try to relieve them of their money. A handful of the workers drew weapons and informed the youths that they were going to keep their money for hamburgers and such. Said youths called Chicago's finest to tell their story of woe and said officers then went to the scene to arrest the Hoosier Hillbillies with their awful weapons. The Hoosiers said you can kiss my buttocks, and you better get on the phone with Daley and tell him if our guns go, we go, and we take our trucks and other equipment with us. Officers stated that after confering with the Mayor's office said Hoosiers can remain armed and continue their needed service to the state.

He said it was an interesting hour and that it does show that common sense can prevail when folks have 0 degree weather and no power.

Just came across this post and Im loving it:):

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    To answer your question

#1. Felony
    #2. No
    #3. No

It is YOUR responsibility to know the law when traveling through other states, everyone who regularly carries especially in Indiana is aware of Illinois being a state you should absolutely avoid carrying in.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I shudder to think of all the times I've just popped over the line for lunch or something when I used to work occasionally on the west side of the state. I usually had a gun in my car, and I had no idea of the harsh penalties back then. Stupid. Lucky.

When I go to Cabelas I always have the thought in the back of my mind "what if the exit is closed for construction" or "what if a bad accident shuts down the right lanes and all traffic is funneled into Illinois?"

Agree with some other posters, how do you "forget" that Illinois is hostile to gun owners?????

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    When I go to Cabelas I always have the thought in the back of my mind "what if the exit is closed for construction" or "what if a bad accident shuts down the right lanes and all traffic is funneled into Illinois?"

Agree with some other posters, how do you "forget" that Illinois is hostile to gun owners?????

Umm, because it's hard to believe that we live next door to a state which is so hostile to the American ideals?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

You better be making an illegal u-turn

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

You best follow all laws while you get turned around and get back into Indiana.

You better be making an illegal u-turn

Not possible on 80/94 there, unless you can jump the concrete barrier.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I live in Munster. You have to be careful on the residential roads, as there are no signs that directly state you are crossing into IL. In fact, I literally work on state line. Walking a few feet off the property of my workplace and I am in IL. I would ALWAYS be careful when nearing the state line.

YUP, I grew up in Munster. Literally one side of the street is Indiana, the opposite side is Illinois. I currently live in south lake county and am 1 street east of the state line. Driving on state line road is a common occurrence, I typically keep a "gun vault" in the car so I can lock up my gun, unloaded.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If that is how your friend told you they had to be stored, he is either wrong or lying to you. The requirements are unloaded and encased. The center console/glove box as long as it has a latching lid is considered a case and mags/ammo can be kept with it. Here is a IL SC case about it.
    http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2009/october/106367.pdf

I actually read this, and kept up with it till the last page, then it lost me. Not sure what it all means. Could someone explain just the last page to me? Pg. 8. Please keep it simple. lol

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    A friend of mine forgot that Illinois doesn't recognize an IN LTCH and was arrested because he had his pistol with him when he was pulled over for speeding.

Neither I nor he know much about Illinois law, what we want to know is 1. Will he be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony? 2. Will he ever be given back the possession of his pistol? And 3. Is there anything he can do?

This happens when you travel to the peoples republic of Illinois without zee papers. The only way to be in "safe compliance" with Chinanois law is to make sure your weapon is completely dismantled down to the last piece... lock the frame in a 3 lock box... put it in a trailer behind your vehicle.. put the remainder of the parts in a FedEx box and mail them to your destination. Buy bullets when you get there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you're going to carry in another state you have a responsibility to know the laws - especially in a place like IL- the absolute worst state for denying 2A rights. How could anyone make this mistake?

Last edited:

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is a cautionary tale for those who say silly things like "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6." Turns out the 12 may judge you for things having nothing to do with defending yourself.

The OP's friend was carrying, presumably, for self defense. What he failed to realize is that his greatest threat in most of Illinois is the state of Illinois.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I thank God often that my parents had the wisdom to move out of that hellhole Illinois when I was in 4th grade. We lived in Tinley Park, the place where gun laws work so well that six women could be slain in cold blood with no sheepdog there to intervene. My relatives up there tell me the killer hasn't been caught.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    IL can go die in a fire as far as I am concerned but, if your going to carry, do some reading, it's not like they hide their stance on the subject...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    This happens when you travel to the peoples republic of Illinois without zee papers. The only way to be in "safe compliance" with Chinanois law is to make sure your weapon is completely dismantled down to the last piece... lock the frame in a 3 lock box... put it in a trailer behind your vehicle.. put the remainder of the parts in a FedEx box and mail them to your destination. Buy bullets when you get there.

Hopefully you just forgot your purple. If not then this if full of FAIL!

Top Bottom