• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Question, going to St. Louis with another couple on Saturday and one of them carries. He already knows he has to dearm, but can the ammo still stay in the clip if the gun is out of reach (or does he have to the rounds out of hte magazine also)? We are taking my girlfriends vehicle and it has this area where we can put the gun in the very back of the vehicle.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Question, going to St. Louis with another couple on Saturday and one of them carries. He already knows he has to dearm, but can the ammo still stay in the clip if the gun is out of reach (or does he have to the rounds out of hte magazine also)? We are taking my girlfriends vehicle and it has this area where we can put the gun in the very back of the vehicle.

Must be seperate

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Incorrect.

In Illinois the MAGAZINE can be loaded up but there must be NO loaded magazine in the gun and NO round in the chamber. The gun must be in a case. The gun and magazine CAN be in the case together.

Your ammo has to be seperate from your gun...

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

"Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?

No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card."

But a loaded magazine is ok, as long as it's not IN the firearm - that's how I'm taking this sentence.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

"Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?

No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card."

But a loaded magazine is ok, as long as it's not IN the firearm - that's how I'm taking this sentence.
    And you are "taking it" correctly. Looking up though...he aint...not even close. :rolleyes:

Guess he wasnt born and raised in Il and a resident for 30 something years.....i WAS.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I stand corrected...I lived there 9 years or so, got out in 2001 and only been back a handful of times dince then. Even if I were to be in full compliance with their gun laws, I still wouldn't trust them.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I still wouldn't trust them.

Me neither. I can't see myself saying "Yo officer, I've got a gun locked up in my trunk." It isn't relevant unless you make it relevant, right?

Was it ever answered how the issue of the OP's friend's gun in the car came in to play during the traffic stop? That or I just can't remember. Been reading chemotherapy notes too much.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Was it ever answered how the issue of the OP's friend's gun in the car came in to play during the traffic stop? That or I just can't remember. Been reading chemotherapy notes too much.

My apologies for not getting back sooner, but I want to thank everyone for their input. And I do have more information directly from him.

He was in Mt. Carmel pulling out of the parking lot of a fast food restaurant when a cop pulled him over. He was not speeding, what he says is that someone saw his gun when he took his jacket off and called him in and also gave the police info such as what car he was driving etc. He tells me that he was charged with a class A misdemeanor, not the felony. And he says that he has no criminal record. He also cannot afford a lawyer.

He wants to know if this will effect his owning a LTCH since it is a class A misdemeanor that involves a weapon? And any other advice that might help.

It was buried on page 8 or 9.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    It was buried on page 8 or 9.

First...the kid that was arrested should sell anything he has to, to get a lawyer. NEVER TRUST A PUBLIC DEFENDER!
    Here is what normally happens when a Illinois resident gets arrested for possession of a firearm without a valid or unexpired FOID card. If they apply for one immediately and are successful the courts almost always drop the charges. As far as concealed...well since there is no such "right" in Illinois that is recognized....that is reason enough to get that lawyer! Illinois will make an example of him and turn it into how the county is saving Illinois residents from the bad guys. (you evil people in Indiana that can carry a firearm legally, OC no less)

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've heard that when any LEO checks up on you on their computer, you're carry license will show up, so they will find out. I agree that not knowing about the reciprocity agreements between states is your friends biggest failure.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I've heard that when any LEO checks up on you on their computer, you're carry license will show up, so they will find out. I agree that not knowing about the reciprocity agreements between states is your friends biggest failure.

Especially since IL does not have any.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Someone please tell Borock that Illinois is the last state in the U.S. that DOES NOT have any kind of permit/license to carry concealed nor open. :dunno:
    So there cant be ANY "Reciprocity" agreement for something that DOES NOT exist.

Top Bottom