• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EddieV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Hey INGOers, I'm relatively new and don't post a lot but have been reading a bunch on the forums and have picked up some good advice, so thanks! I'm considerinig a new range handgun, I want to go full size as I think it'll help my control, and want to stick w/9mm as I don't want to spend a fortune on ammo. I like the Glock 17 and the Ruger SR9, any tips on how much I should expect to spend, pros and cons on either, or thoughts in general? If I've missed this on another thread somehow-mea culpa! Thanks in advance!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    depends, they are almost the same gun. but the glock has a messed up grip angle, and the SR9 has a normal grip angle.

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    the g 17 cost around 500.00 the sr 9 cost around 400.00. you should also look at the cz75. they are heavier so the recoil will be felt less. They cost around 500.00

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i cant say enough good about my glock 17L. i have no experiance with the ruger. but i will say my glock makes it look like i know how to shoot a pistol, when in reality im probably one of the worst pistol shots on this site. but i never pratice with a pistol wich i would say is alot of my problem. i bet i dont shoot 800-1000 rds a year out of a pistol

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    The SR 9 has a "magazine safety", so it will not fire with the magazine removed. I do not favor this feature, but I assume someone (besides Ruger's legal department) must like it. The Glock will fire either way.

Good luck, and welcome to INGO!

Very easily removed from the SR9 though.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Personal preference, both are great guns. I would go with the G17 no decision, but I carry Glock and that is what I am most familiar with.

What do you already have? If your carry gun is a G19 then I would say stick with what you are comfortable with.

Can't really go wrong either way you choose though. Good luck with your decision.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    As someone else said, the SR9 is going to be cheaper. I believe they are both perfectly reliable sidearms. The determining factor IMO is which one fits you better or which one you shoot better. The SR9 is a slimmer, more upright grip whereas the Glock is a blockier, forward-canted grip. I personally favor the SR9, but it's mostly a personal decision between two good handguns. One other thing to consider is that the Glock will have more aftermarket stuff if you like to tinker, but there's enough out there for the Ruger to keep you busy if you really wanted to. haha

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The SR-series of handguns are all really good guns. I shoot IDPA with several people that use the SR9, SR40 and the SR9c and I've never seen any have an issue. All have used factory and the owner's own personal hand loaded ammo and they just keep chugging away. I'm impressed with the trigger on the SR9 that I've shot, it's a very crisp with very little travel; it's actually thrown me off since it does have very little take-up and I've pulled a little too hard on it and it's gone off before I've expected it to being used to shooting Glocks and M&Ps. Like scottka said, you will find that there aren't as many holster and aftermarket parts out there like there will be for a Glock; mag pouches are a non-issue since they are standard sized double-stacks but trying to find the perfect holster can be more of a challenge for the Ruger.

The Glock is pretty well the standard by which all other pistols, both steel and polymer, are compared. You can hate them but you simply cannot deny them. I love Glock pistols but a few features make them hard to shoot for some individuals. The lack of a beaver tail on the back of the Glock can cause the webbing of your hand to ride high up and get scraped a bit by the slide during recoil. I have this problem with my 9mm Glocks but the larger frame Glocks in .45 and 10mm don't do that to me. Some people can't get past it's grip angle but that is probably the exception rather than the norm. There really isn't a con to owning a Glock; if it fits your hand you are absolutely good to go right out of the box. I've owned a total of 7 Glocks so far and have thousands of rounds through them and I always entertain the idea of one more Glock when I get the urge to bring a new gun home.

When it is all said and done the Glock has the edge but that isn't taking anything away from the Ruger at all. You are comparing a relatively new gun to one that has set the standard in just about every area. Both will give you several lifetimes worth of service and both are from companies that have set the standard for what customer service should be.

srandrews80

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Plainfield
    I have had an SR9 for about 6 months. I have ran about 800 rounds through it with no problem. I have tried win, tul, wolf, and federal ammo. I have smaller hands and the ruger is the slimest full sized 9mm i could find. I have fired a glock and just didn't like the way it felt in my hands. I only paid $379 for my sr9 and have used it as a carry gun until monday when i got my first 1911. I would say go to the store and handle them both and see what fits in your hand best.

EddieV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback...I think I'll take another stroll out to Bradis and look at these again. Truth to tell they both felt pretty good in my hand, I'll have to reevaluate the grip angle issue. Based on what I'm seeing it doesn't sound like I can lose either way!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    pick both guns up and pick a target on the wall (of course in a safe direction).close your eyes and aim to that point with each gun one at a time. Open your eyes and see which gun is pointing closest to that point or which sights lined up better. That usually will tell you which grip angle fits you better for natural point of aim.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    pick both guns up and pick a target on the wall (of course in a safe direction).close your eyes and aim to that point with each gun one at a time. Open your eyes and see which gun is pointing closest to that point or which sights lined up better. That usually will tell you which grip angle fits you better for natural point of aim.

Interesting advice, very good idea...

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    The case for the SR9, Safety. When I look at the top (or feel in the dark) my ruger I know in an instant if it is hot or not. The 1911 style safety locks the slide in place so that it does not move during some reholstering and makes me think before fireing. I am not a super sniper commando with an esp connection to my weapon so I like safeties. Did i mention the SR9 has thin 1911ish grips and runs as flawless as a glock. Made in the U.S.A.

Indianajeff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Indiana
    Hey INGOers, I'm relatively new and don't post a lot but have been reading a bunch on the forums and have picked up some good advice, so thanks! I'm considerinig a new range handgun, I want to go full size as I think it'll help my control, and want to stick w/9mm as I don't want to spend a fortune on ammo. I like the Glock 17 and the Ruger SR9, any tips on how much I should expect to spend, pros and cons on either, or thoughts in general? If I've missed this on another thread somehow-mea culpa! Thanks in advance!

IMHO there is no comparison between the two, the Glock is the way to go. Glocks have EARNED the reputation they have as an easy to shoot, reliable to a fault handgun. You can find Glock parts easily, and anyone can work on one. Mags are plentiful and cheap, and all of mine will eat anything.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The case for the SR9, Safety. When I look at the top (or feel in the dark) my ruger I know in an instant if it is hot or not. The 1911 style safety locks the slide in place so that it does not move during some reholstering and makes me think before fireing. I am not a super sniper commando with an esp connection to my weapon so I like safeties. Did i mention the SR9 has thin 1911ish grips and runs as flawless as a glock. Made in the U.S.A.

I don't need to look at OR touch my Glock to know if it's hot or not. It's ALWAYS hot. One benefit Ive found with the non-standard grip angle of the Glock, is that it forces me to lock my wrists down to get the point-of-aim to where I need it to be, which in turn automatically locks out my elbows. YMMV

Top Bottom