• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    I need some Glock INGO'ers opinion on this one. I currently own a gen 3 glock 23 and shoot the gun very well. I like the grip and do not have a problem with recoil what so ever. For the last few months I have thought about trading it in on a glock 27 because of the smaller features and ease of concealing, however the 27's grip just felt off to me. Is the 27 actually easier to carry and how does it compare to the 23 when shooting? I am a small framed guy and primarly prefer to CC. Thoughts?

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have a Glock 19 and decided to purchase a 26 because of the same features you described. I hate shooting the 26. I have a hard time keeping it under control. I will continue to practice with it to try and get used to it better so if I need to have more concealable. I know there are grip extensions but if I was going to have them on, I would rather just use the 19.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good question -

I have a G27 and like it a lot. I HIGHLY recommend getting/trying a variety of magazine extensions. Both A&G and Pierce make good quality, affordable extensions. Some add to capacity and some just provide a little bit of pinky room without adding to capacity.
    Shooting with the "dangling pinky" is a little odd at first.
    The shorter grip on the 27 is the gun's greatest asset and its biggest drawback - besides the thickness of the overall frame. (great for ccw, a little odd for handling AND limits ammo capacities)

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    A few years ago I switched from the G23 to the G27 and at first there was a little transition but with regular practice and good marksmanship fundamentals I was able to "tame" the smaller pistol. I did find it easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry than it's larger counterpart but not as much fun to shoot.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have both the 23 and 27 and love both. They both feel great to me and I enjoy shooting both. I wouldn't necessarily say get rid of the 23 to get the 27. If you like the 23 and shoot it well and you say the 27 felt a bit off to you then I would stick with the 23. If you get a chance I would try to shoot a 27 and see how it feels to you shooting it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have a Glock 19 and decided to purchase a 26 because of the same features you described. I hate shooting the 26. I have a hard time keeping it under control. I will continue to practice with it to try and get used to it better so if I need to have more concealable. I know there are grip extensions but if I was going to have them on, I would rather just use the 19.

Good point, HOWEVER, I will point out that even with the extension on, the overall print is still smaller than the G19/G23. Especially in the heel of the gun, which is often what prints the most.
    See pics below:
    _DSC0001.jpg

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Ideally I would love to have both but at this point and time I don't think thats an option. I did see a video Hickok45 did where he talked about not even using his pinky when shooting any of his guns from full size 1911/glocks down to baby glocks. Sounds like what I need to do is get my hands on one and shoot it to see what I truly think.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I have shot the 27 and didn't like it I also am small framed and it was still to small maybe with the grip extension it would be nice but without it I didn't like it at all

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have both the 23 and 27 and love both. They both feel great to me and I enjoy shooting both. I wouldn't necessarily say get rid of the 23 to get the 27. If you like the 23 and shoot it well and you say the 27 felt a bit off to you then I would stick with the 23. If you get a chance I would try to shoot a 27 and see how it feels to you shooting it.

Agreed with this. I picked up a 27 first, but recently also purchased a 23. It is a great combination.

I have only had the 23 for a short time, but I would definitely say that the 23 is an easier gun to shoot than the 27, but the 27 is a great carrying gun.

I also have an Advantage Arms conversion kit for my 27 (hope to get one for my 23 soon), and it helped me to train with my 27 and start to get more familiar with the trigger and grip, etc without dealing with the recoil of the 27 for every practice round shot.

I like the combination of the 27/23 (able to share mags/holsters, common caliber, etc), but I think if I were you and I was going to give up the 23 for the 27, then I would take a serious look at the 26 and making the jump to 9mm. It is much easier to handle in a gun the size of the 26/27 than the .40 in my opinion.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Had both. Just sold the 27. I couldnt tell much difference between the two carrying IWB. It is easier to draw the 23 from the holster. Seems like you get a much better grip.

In my opinion, the 27 wasnt small enough to justify carrying less rounds.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The mid-size Glocks work fine for me. I've never found it necessary to go with the subcompacts; even to conceal under a t-shirt. I'm just a regular size guy, but people vary in their build so YMMV.

Have you considered a better concealment system rather than a different pistol? Something to think about anyway.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you shoot the 23 well then why switch. The 27 might be marginally easier to carry but a person should still rely on a gun that they shoot well. The Glock 19/23 platform is a very versatile size in terms of balancing size and weight.

For what it is worth I have shot a lot of guns in 9mm and .40S&W. Currently all of my pistols are chambered in .40. I carry a Glock 23 and it is one of our home defense guns. The Glock 23 is the smallest gun that I am personally interested in owning in the .40 cartridge. The Glock 27 is a fine gun and one that makes sense as a companion to the full size Glocks. But the G23 strikes a nice balance.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    If I had to have just one the it would be the G27. You can always use larger capacity mags to satisfy that requirement or add +0, +1, +2 extensions etc but you cannot make a G23 smaller.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Ideally I would love to have both but at this point and time I don't think thats an option. I did see a video Hickok45 did where he talked about not even using his pinky when shooting any of his guns from full size 1911/glocks down to baby glocks. Sounds like what I need to do is get my hands on one and shoot it to see what I truly think.
    What part of the state are you in? With the warm weather my 27 could use some range time.

My take on it is, that I would ever trade or sell my G27 (and generally for how long it takes me to save for a gun I put so much thought into them that they serve a purpose and most would be extremely difficult to part with, because I know that I WOULD have regrets after doing so); however I do see a G23 being in my collection at some point in the future. I went through the G27vG23 debate before buying my G27. I've held both, am familiar with both, and spent the majority of the armorers course with a G23 in my hand. The 23 is that not too much not too little not too wide not to thin perfect sized grip, with what is for me an extremely natural grip angle. You can make it a 9, you can make it a 357, you can put a light on it, it's a fine weapon. All that said, I got a G27 first as that smaller grip makes it very easy to hide, heck I've been CCing this afternoon(I know OCers I know) with it OWB in a SERPA and it's more concealed than a G17 IWB with same dress, because of that grip length. That means when I need to truly have it disappeared, then IWB and it's gone; and that's one of the reasons my 27 isn't going anywhere.

I'd say keep the G23, dress around it, and for the most part any non light holster will also be compatible with the G27; save up and add the 27 when you can, but don't give up the 23, and having that full hand does make it easier to control, not that you can't control with a G27 or smaller, but when you have the full hand on there life is simpler.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I just realized you were asking about switching, not adding another.....disregard. I find i can conceal both with pretty much the same effort and attire. I would just keep your 23.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Having personally owned two 23's and two 27's, its hard to say which is better all around. I've traded my 23 for a 27 then traded back to a 23 then to a 27. The 23 is nice if you shoot at the range a lot, the 27 is not. The 27 is nice if you CC a lot. I ended up sticking with the 27. I'd like to get a 23 eventually. I carried the 27 for years. Then I bought a LCP and that was the end of the road for my 27. Moral of the story, buy one of each. Win-win.

Top Bottom