• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    However the wholesale cost of ammo has gone through the roof.

I don't think anyone here is blaming you, the independent gun store owner. We know how retail works. I make a pretty strong case in post #85 why its not the manufacturers. I have become convinced it is the distributors who are gouging.

Write this down: ALL BUBBLES END BADLY.

This ammo bubble will crash and burn just like all the rest. Watch and see.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I don't think anyone here is blaming you, the independent gun store owner. We know how retail works. I make a pretty strong case in post #85 why its not the manufacturers. I have become convinced it is the distributors who are gouging.

Write this down: ALL BUBBLES END BADLY.

This ammo bubble will crash and burn just like all the rest. Watch and see.

I hope it does.....

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Stopped into the Gander in Greenwood today, 200 rds UMC .223 was $50 higher than Dicks. Small can of RemOil was $5.99, what a bargain when you can get the large can at Walmart fo the same price.

GM did have the bases for my Lansky sharpening set, but figured it would probably be 20% cheaper somewhere else.

Sorry Gander, no money from me!

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    'Gouging' is simply the free market assuring that supply will rise to meet demand. If I ran an ammo company and COULD pay for overtime, bring new lines into production, etc., but then some whiners get the gubment to pass a law against 'gouging' I'm not going to take the risk financially. Not buying from a store due to the high prices simply helps adjust the price downwards, but often 'not buying' turns into legislation to forbid 'gouging'.

The 'extreme' profits allegedly being made by the ammo plants right now might just encourage them to double production, which will result in prices falling.

I knew then quit teaching about the Second Amendment in school, but don't they teach economics in the public schools anymore...?

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Thank you. Thats all im saying. Posting a thread because you dont like the prices is useless, your acting as if your voice actually counts.

You guys really **** me off sometimes. I work at Gander and have to deal with people like you all the time bitching and whining about ammo prices. If you dont like them dont shop there, its not going to hurt our buissness trust me. But just so you know WE DONT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PRICES OF AMMO! As the demand goes up and the factories run 24/7 the price has to go up as well. So if your going to bitch and whine, bitch and whine to the ammo companies. We have to go by what is sent down to us from the buyers and sellers. Its not like the ammo comes in and the manager is like "oh hey lets mark this up 100%." We all shop there to. You think we like paying that price for ammo? No I hate it but I also understand that it isnt the distributers fault. Its the same at any of the gun stores I go to. The cheapest place I have seen ammo is Dicks and that because its old as hell. People wont buy it, so they come to us or The Outdoorsman.

Hmmm thats odd....as far as I know and am aware we made bonus the past 3 months. Were 90,000 over budget for the quater and broke 1 billion in sales for 2008-2009. SO please dont try to tell me something you know nothing about. Obviously you have to much time on your hands to stand so many places with signs. Get a life man. Dont shop at Gander if you dont like it, if there is cheaper ammo then go buy it. Until then shut up and stop bitching.

How does my vote on your reputation count? If you have something to say you can do it in a civilized manor. You my friend, are just trying to stir turmoil... you do realize that this is a public site and anything you write may be seen by your higher ups from gander mountain, and let your higher ups see how you treat potential customers... and since it is a small world, im very sure they may take the approiate measures to ensure you do not offend customers with the foul language you have used. A big negative rep for you.

Last edited:

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    ...maybe these guys don't 'really' work for GM????

Sorry, but I had a slight tinfoil moment. :D

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    I went in to Greenwood today.......

Can't say I was real impressed.

Although I found a couple of guys to ask questions of, the one on the floor was somewhat friendly, the one behind the counter, well, I was just taking too much of his time, I roasted him in the survey.

I would not call the selection great, but I picked up several types to try prior to the Auburn Appleseed, which reminds me, neither one of these guys had ever heard of Appleseed, what is it with firearms employees having no knowledge of firearms terms and or events?

I bought ammo there for two reasons, one to hopefully find a good target ammo, which when I said " You probably won't have any more when I need it", the guy behind the counter says " oh, you can find ammo everywhere" really?

The other reason is to see how their customer service improves. The manager was very quick to call me after my last experience, let's see this time.

We'll see.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    You guys really **** me off sometimes. I work at Gander and have to deal with people like you all the time bitching and whining about ammo prices. If you dont like them dont shop there, its not going to hurt our buissness trust me.

thats ok, because i wont shop there anyways! and it isnt because of your ammo prices, which are insanely high btw (yesterday it was $1/round of .38 Special!). its because of your customer service (i am talking about the Castleton store in Indy). it blows. i bought 1 gun from you last year and that was enough. if you dont like people complaining, get another job -or- change your prices. its not like people are complaining without reason.

now i will admit i had a much better experience when browsing one day at the greenwood store. and the gunsmith Mark at Castleton seemed like an exceptionally nice guy....too bad he doesnt have time to run the counter, and the register, and...

as for dick's, they dont have anything...ever (castleton and noblesville).

rant off.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You guys really **** me off sometimes. I work at Gander and have to deal with people like you all the time bitching and whining about ammo prices. If you dont like them dont shop there, its not going to hurt our buissness trust me. But just so you know WE DONT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PRICES OF AMMO! As the demand goes up and the factories run 24/7 the price has to go up as well. So if your going to bitch and whine, bitch and whine to the ammo companies. We have to go by what is sent down to us from the buyers and sellers. Its not like the ammo comes in and the manager is like "oh hey lets mark this up 100%." We all shop there to. You think we like paying that price for ammo? No I hate it but I also understand that it isnt the distributers fault. Its the same at any of the gun stores I go to. The cheapest place I have seen ammo is Dicks and that because its old as hell. People wont buy it, so they come to us or The Outdoorsman.

It is sad that you seem to believe what you just said.

I find it interesting that Wal-Mart has not raised the price on their ammunition by even a nickel over the past year. I can still buy 9mm ammo for less than $9 per box of 50, and 40 acp for less than $13 per box of 50.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Try Greenwood/County Line Gander, one of the guys behind the gun counter was an arrogant, pompus ***, I wont be back for any gun items thats for darn sure

They won't care, and I don't blame them. The last time I was in there, the gun counter was surrounded by people, and a good number were interested in buying.

GM prices are high as hell, but there is a demand, so I don't blame them. I don't think it is gouging. If they can sell used HK USPs for $675+, there is a reason for that. I know how the system works. I can go on gunbroker, find an HK USP that looks good, communicate with the seller and get a feel on them, have an FFL that (used to at least in the past) will do a transfer for $10. I can beat GM on all their guns, but then again, I am:
    #1: Taking a risk buying on-line
    #2: Doing all the above work myself and not getting paid.

Folks who buy at GM get to hold/see/test (dry fire) most of the guns there. They, hopefully, get a knowledgeable sales person who can answer questions. They likely don't have to worry about getting a stolen firearm. If they can pass the background check, they are walking out the door with a firearm that day. They are also rewarding the guy behind the counter with benefits, not just an hourly wage.

As far as ammo goes, they had hollow point/self defense ammo in stock when others didn't. They didn't have a ton, and I believe that is because even with the "price gouging" (Laughable), people who really wanted and needed this stuff was able to get it. I don't think GM is the sole seller of anything that is common. There is just _one_ kind of .308 ammo that Walmart and Meijer is selling, GM had like 20. Costly as hell, but at least they are doing something to make sure they have it in stock. I can't see their prices being that much higher than what they are paying for it. They might be the only place in town with ammo, but surely the distributors know they want to be the only game, meaning I think distributors are raising prices as well.

I am well versed on prices, and have decent knowledge of a product before I buy. As such, I have no problems going on-line, doing some work, and making a much cheaper on-line purchase. Some folks need the brick and mortar stores and those stores are going to have over head costs.

Can you tell us a little more about your trip? Why was the guy an @$$? Are you _sure_ you won't be back? Be honest now, you are telling us that you will _never_ step foot back in that store?

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    To those of you who believe complaining will do more than maybe get you some personal relief ,one time, IE the poster who got free gas...did they drop the price for all? Did you pay less or get anything free the next time? Don't get me wrong, I am not shy about complaining about service...however complaining about price to a chain making a profit....I give you Don's Guns! Never read anything good about them and nobody here admits they buy there...but they seem to be doing ok.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    oh yeah.
    i worked retail mgmt. for several years and will say to the 2 GM employee's, you can THINK whatever you want....keep your mouth
    (and fingers) shut. I really do know where you are coming from, but even if people are lined up out the door throwing money at you...and they are ALL a-holes, keep it to yourself.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gander has some interesting ideas on how to run a business, that's for sure.

They will probably not get anymore of my business, due to their employee's actions INSIDE and with this thread, OUTSIDE the store. It takes only one person to mess it up. I was yelled at by one of the counter folk (older guy, southside Gander) when I dry fired a used Glock they had for (in all honesty) a reasonable price (at the time). I put the gun on the counter, told him to read the manual and left the store. Another time, they had some primers hidden behind shotgun ones. I asked the counter dude to get them. He tirades on and on about how we are vultures, picking the carcass clean. I asked if he handloaded. I got a yes. Apparently, he was POed because he was hiding them for himself... (his words, northside Gander, youngish guy).

StrayDog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    South West
    GM is the closest store that has the things that I need. I have a GM mastercard, so I get reward points. They have screwed me over time and time again and I've just about had all I can take of that place. The only reason that place is still in business is because they have the market dominated in smaller towns, and they think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. I think it might be time to get a Cabelas card..

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I would love to shop GM, close to my office, large selection, etc... Last time I went in there I was ready to buy a new rifle, plastic in hand. I stood for an hour in the gun section while several employees milled around chatting with each other completely ignoring me. Not once did one say "can I help you?". Even though their prices were higher, they had what I wanted in stock. I walked away empty handed and never went back. That was 2 years ago.
    I called around and found a gun store in Mooresville that had what I needed and I drove the extra 2 hours round trip. They were very helpful and I even saved enough to pay for my gas.

Top Bottom