• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I was catching up on a thread I posted in(crazy ammo prices) and thought that I would send a note to GM concerning their ammo prices. I went to there site and found out that you can take a survey. I sent them a little piece of my mind about the price gouging that they are doing. Here is the link if anyone else wants to do this.

Gander Mountain® > Contact Information : We Live Outdoors®

the link is right under the bold "contact us" in little green text

Fire

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here is the comment I posted to their website. Hopefully (though I doubt it) I'll get a response.

I recently went in to both your Castleton store in Indianapolis and your Terre Haute, Indiana store. Both locations had the ammunition I was looking for, however the prices were marked up well over 100% over MSRP. While most gun stores are out of certain ammo on a regular basis, Gander seems to always have it; Why? Price gouging. Price gouging by definition is when products are marked up when no alternative retailer is present. My concern is that Gander Mountain believes this to be the case. The fact is that there are numerous retailers who also have ammunition in stock. In addition to the hundreds of online retailers, your storefront competitors (Dick’s, Cabela’s, Bass Pro Shops) regularly get shipments in as well, however they continue to charge the normal MSRP or less on their ammunition. I understand the laws of supply/demand, but Gander is apparently not familiar enough with the supply part of it. While demand is currently high, supply IS out there, and can be found by anyone with a computer, car and a few minutes of time.

For this reason, I have not been into your stores since nor will I until such time as your company decides to charge the normal "going rate" for the products you sell. If this practice continues for any length of time beyond this point, I will likely never return. The best part of being a consumer is that we have the ability to directly affect companies’ bottom lines by voting with our hard earned dollars which businesses we choose to support.
    I have posted my concern on multiple web sites and firearm forums online so that other customers of yours may judge for themselves whether or not Gander Mountains selling practices regarding ammunition are, in fact, sketchy.

I anticipate a response from someone who can adequately explain Gander Mountain's stance on the prices charged for your ammunition products.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    You guys really **** me off sometimes. I work at Gander and have to deal with people like you all the time bitching and whining about ammo prices. If you dont like them dont shop there, its not going to hurt our buissness trust me. But just so you know WE DONT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PRICES OF AMMO! As the demand goes up and the factories run 24/7 the price has to go up as well. So if your going to bitch and whine, bitch and whine to the ammo companies. We have to go by what is sent down to us from the buyers and sellers. Its not like the ammo comes in and the manager is like "oh hey lets mark this up 100%." We all shop there to. You think we like paying that price for ammo? No I hate it but I also understand that it isnt the distributers fault. Its the same at any of the gun stores I go to. The cheapest place I have seen ammo is Dicks and that because its old as hell. People wont buy it, so they come to us or The Outdoorsman.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You guys really **** me off sometimes. I work at Gander and have to deal with people like you all the time bitching and whining about ammo prices. If you dont like them dont shop there, its not going to hurt our buissness trust me. But just so you know WE DONT HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PRICES OF AMMO! As the demand goes up and the factories run 24/7 the price has to go up as well. So if your going to bitch and whine, bitch and whine to the ammo companies. We have to go by what is sent down to us from the buyers and sellers. Its not like the ammo comes in and the manager is like "oh hey lets mark this up 100%." We all shop there to. You think we like paying that price for ammo? No I hate it but I also understand that it isnt the distributers fault. Its the same at any of the gun stores I go to. The cheapest place I have seen ammo is Dicks and that because its old as hell. People wont buy it, so they come to us or The Outdoorsman.

:bs:

Don't fool yourself. I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm having no problem finding $10-12 boxes of 9mm

Dick's ammo isn't old. EVERYONE wants ammo, so they don't have the luxury of keeping old inventory.

We know that it's not your distributor's fault. We know it's not the manager's fault. I for one know exactly who is responsible for your prices. There are dozens of bean counters at your corporate office whose job is to specifically analyze sales.

And while you don't like to put up with us bitching and whining, I'll tell you this; just like you want us to shop somewhere else, if you don't like us bitching, go work somewhere else!

Kinda like the server who complains about her tips. If you ain't making enough money, it's time to re-assess your career path.

And no, the prices do NOT have to go up. Just as it costs more money for them to run their machines and buy more products to produce the ammo, they're selling the **** at a faster pace, thus making more money, too.

It's posts like this that **** ME off. The people are the ones who get **** done. If hundreds (or thousands) of us email them about this BS, someone might figure it out.

Don't think it'll hurt your business if we don't shop there? See Circuit City.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm sure their evil empire will crumble with the results of that survey. I too, work retail and hate the threat of a customer who will never come back. We want the customers who will support us in good times and in bad. Buy it from your other sources!

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009

Don't fool yourself. I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm having no problem finding $10-12 boxes of 9mm

Dick's ammo isn't old. EVERYONE wants ammo, so they don't have the luxury of keeping old inventory.

We know that it's not your distributor's fault. We know it's not the manager's fault. I for one know exactly who is responsible for your prices. There are dozens of bean counters at your corporate office whose job is to specifically analyze sales.

And while you don't like to put up with us bitching and whining, I'll tell you this; just like you want us to shop somewhere else, if you don't like us bitching, go work somewhere else!

Kinda like the server who complains about her tips. If you ain't making enough money, it's time to re-assess your career path.

It's posts like this that **** ME off. The people are the ones who get **** done. If hundreds (or thousands) of us email them about this BS, someone might figure it out.

Dude if you guys arent bitching about the price of ammo, your bitching about the availability of ammo. "Why dont you guys have any ammo instock?" I get asked that everyday. Well sir if our ammo is so over priced why dont we ever have any? Why when I put out shipments on thursdays is most of it gone thursday evening? Write all the emails and letters you want to corporate im telling you the prices have gone up from the manufacturers, there for we have to up the prices about 2% just to sell it above cost and make profit. So for that 2% we apologize! Its part of life. Deal with it and stop crying.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm sure their evil empire will crumble with the results of that survey. I too, work retail and hate the threat of a customer who will never come back. We want the customers who will support us in good times and in bad. Buy it from your other sources!

As a former retail manager, those who don't like the threats have no business being in retail. Don't EVER underestimate someone who threatens to not shop there.

I've stood in front of a car dealership with a sign bitching about warranty work they wouldn't do. Guess what, I got my warranty work and free oil changes for 2 years just to stop running other customers off.

I've stood at a gas station with another sign telling customers where gas is .30 cents cheaper 1 mile down the road. Got a free tank of gas.

Retail is the most fragile business out there. It can all come crumbling down in a matter of months. And Gander is in a REALLY tough spot right now, cuz in this economy, no one's camping and fishing and doing any of the stuff that you cater to.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

And no, the prices do NOT have to go up. Just as it costs more money for them to run their machines and buy more products to produce the ammo, they're selling the **** at a faster pace, thus making more money, too.

:+1:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for the link. It was an excellent chance to share my thoughts on what is, in my opinion, pricing that crosses the line of ethical practices.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dude if you guys arent bitching about the price of ammo, your bitching about the availability of ammo. "Why dont you guys have any ammo instock?" I get asked that everyday. Well sir if our ammo is so over priced why dont we ever have any? Why when I put out shipments on thursdays is most of it gone thursday evening? Write all the emails and letters you want to corporate im telling you the prices have gone up from the manufacturers, there for we have to up the prices about 2% just to sell it above cost and make profit. So for that 2% we apologize! Its part of life. Deal with it and stop crying.

You don't have any because of the chumps who are petrified and feel like they have to pay your prices. No one has any patience and can't think for themselves.

I'm telling you - ammo is EASY to find. I mean easy! I have even bought 500 rounds of the elusive .380 in the past 3 days.

I'm at peace with ammo prices going up from manufacturers. But don't try to tell me you're struggling to make profit on an $80 box of 250 Remington UMC.

You, sir, don't know your business very well if you think you're only marking it up 2%.

And again, if you don't like me "crying" you can either not check this thread or find another job. Other than that, sir, deal with it.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    As a former retail manager, those who don't like the threats have no business being in retail. Don't EVER underestimate someone who threatens to not shop there.

I've stood in front of a car dealership with a sign bitching about warranty work they wouldn't do. Guess what, I got my warranty work and free oil changes for 2 years just to stop running other customers off.

I've stood at a gas station with another sign telling customers where gas is .30 cents cheaper 1 mile down the road. Got a free tank of gas.

Retail is the most fragile business out there. It can all come crumbling down in a matter of months. And Gander is in a REALLY tough spot right now, cuz in this economy, no one's camping and fishing and doing any of the stuff that you cater to.
    Hmmm thats odd....as far as I know and am aware we made bonus the past 3 months. Were 90,000 over budget for the quater and broke 1 billion in sales for 2008-2009. SO please dont try to tell me something you know nothing about. Obviously you have to much time on your hands to stand so many places with signs. Get a life man. Dont shop at Gander if you dont like it, if there is cheaper ammo then go buy it. Until then shut up and stop bitching.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Oh, what a load of crap. I don't care how pissed off you are at your customers, an attitude that says much about why Gander Mountain feels it can get away with it's outrageous pricing. Other retailers are not charging $50-$60 for plinking ammo, $5-$10 for .22s. Such pricing is outrageous, and to defend them ridiculous.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Hmmm thats odd....as far as I know and am aware we made bonus the past 3 months. Were 90,000 over budget for the quater and broke 1 billion in sales for 2008-2009. SO please dont try to tell me something you know nothing about. Obviously you have to much time on your hands to stand so many places with signs. Get a life man. Dont shop at Gander if you dont like it, if there is cheaper ammo then go buy it. Until then shut up and stop bitching.

Hey, you don't have to defend your numbers to me. I'm sure Gander's doing just fine; for now anyway.

As for my time, yes, you are right. I have plenty of time on my hands. I worked the retail world, figured it all out and am pretty much retired at 31.

What I do with my time is get **** done. Even if what I get done is only for the benefit of me, I get it done.

IndyGuns1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    indy
    Lmao, lets not have a war here over ammo. If you dont like ganders prices dont shop there. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Ive got a buddy who works at gander, and he as well hates the prices. Its not his fault. Just dont shop there. There are plenty of people who go spend there money there without bitching.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Oh, what a load of crap. I don't care how pissed off you are at your customers, an attitude that says much about why Gander Mountain feels it can get away with it's outrageous pricing. Other retailers are not charging $50-$60 for plinking ammo, $5-$10 for .22s. Such pricing is outrageous, and to defend them ridiculous.
    The prices I have seen around have been higher and some lower than Gander. There are better and there are worse, I think its funny when people act like its the worst thing ever that ammo prices are up. Again we have to mark up a bit to make profit and again there are more expensive and less expensive. If you can find it less I am happy for you, go buy it. Once more I say that if you dont like the prices on Ganders ammo then dont come in. Your the same people that make a scene in public over some bs because you didnt get your way. If your retired at 31 then you should have the money to pay for the ammo. Stop trying to be a hero to everyone and keep your mouth shut. If YOU dont like the prices then YOU can take your buissness elsewhere. No one at work is going to bend over backwards and give you a discount because your complaining.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Lmao, lets not have a war here over ammo. If you dont like ganders prices dont shop there. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Ive got a buddy who works at gander, and he as well hates the prices. Its not his fault. Just dont shop there. There are plenty of people who go spend there money there without bitching.
    Thank you. Thats all im saying. Posting a thread because you dont like the prices is useless, your acting as if your voice actually counts.

Top Bottom