• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Wait for sales. GM is just as overpriced as every other large sporting goods retailer. You cant compare them to walmart without being unfair, and you cant compare them to your local guns hops without being unfair.
    Compare them to dicks, cabelas and BPS, and everytime Ive been in all 3, theyre JUST as expensive any day of the week, and just like GM, they have good sales, and thats the only time their prices come down.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    All of you guys who constantly complain about ammo prices continue to show your ignorance by not reloading. You could be saving a ton (if you shoot much at all) of money and not be abused by the prices. You'd learn more and have a sustainable new hobby. Powder, primer, and lead/bullets are easy to find.

28+ cents a round for 9mm...LOL. $40/hundred rounds for 45acp, HOLY $#!^. I can reload it for 8 cents a round (4 cents primer, 2 cents powder, 2 cents cast bullet, free brass). That saves me $20 per hundred rounds for 9mm and $32 per hundred for 45acp. A decent reloading setup can be had for just a couple hundred bucks...and then you're saving money and never searching for ammo.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    All of you guys who constantly complain about ammo prices continue to show your ignorance by not reloading. You could be saving a ton (if you shoot much at all) of money and not be abused by the prices. You'd learn more and have a sustainable new hobby. Powder, primer, and lead/bullets are easy to find.

28+ cents a round for 9mm...LOL. $40/hundred rounds for 45acp, HOLY $#!^. I can reload it for 8 cents a round (4 cents primer, 2 cents powder, 2 cents cast bullet, free brass). That saves me $20 per hundred rounds for 9mm and $32 per hundred for 45acp. A decent reloading setup can be had for just a couple hundred bucks...and then you're saving money and never searching for ammo.

Yep, plus son and I cast our own bullets. Always on the lookout for cheap lead, even though we have quite a bit in stock (500 ~1000 lbs). We also have 30K plus of primers and about 70 lb of powder between us. Lots of reasons to reload beside cost. Most that haven't reloaded would be surprised how much more accurate a firearm can be if loaded with the "right" weight and velocity of bullet. Plus you can download rounds for plinking so that the recoil is reduced, or load hot loads for the new firearms in the old cartridges like the 45 Long colt. All commercial ammo is loaded so that it won't damage or "blow up" the antique firearms for that cartridge. Loading tables specifically for the Ruger or Contender style firearms let you load the cartridge hotter than a normal .44 mag! Many of the legacy cartridges are like that.

Kinda hope everyone don't start reloading, we find more once fired brass in many calibers every time we shoot at the range than we use or need. We do have a few thousand invested in our reloading / casting equipment but have done that in well over a 20 year span. We have a Hornady Lock and Load with all the auto feeders available, Lee progressive loader, Orange crusher, a few other single stage loaders, Hollywood press, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and other dies, scales, heated lubrisizer, tumbler and vibratory bowls, Many molds, 10 and 20 lb pots, etc. It is a hobby in itself.

As I have posted before, I don't dislike GM, they are not really targeting shooters like us. Their customer base is new shooters, people that need / want something right now, and the occasional range shooter that uses 40 ~100 rounds a year. Obviously they are successful in targeting that market or they would change tactics!

Last edited:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Wait for sales. GM is just as overpriced as every other large sporting goods retailer. You cant compare them to walmart without being unfair, and you cant compare them to your local guns hops without being unfair.
    Compare them to dicks, cabelas and BPS, and everytime Ive been in all 3, theyre JUST as expensive any day of the week, and just like GM, they have good sales, and thats the only time their prices come down.

We are talking guns here not camping equipment or shoes so it is absolutely fair to compare them to a local gun shop.

I agree that GM is a joke. If you want the biggest laugh go to their "Used Firearms" Section. I saw a Glock that literally had rust all over the sights, looked like it had been sitting in a bucket of crap for 15 years and they had it marked at $600..

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    We are talking guns here not camping equipment or shoes so it is absolutely fair to compare them to a local gun shop.

I agree that GM is a joke. If you want the biggest laugh go to their "Used Firearms" Section. I saw a Glock that literally had rust all over the sights, looked like it had been sitting in a bucket of crap for 15 years and they had it marked at $600..
    I saw a used berretta 92 with so much holster wear the slide was polished bare metal, $650!!!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    why did you guys even bother?

buy I did get 5k rounds of Winchester M-22 22LR for $55+tax/k last October at Castleton.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Their ammo sales prices can be quite decent. The Evansville GM staff has always been helpful and polite. I recommend them for friends who don't know much about guns, but are in the market for one, along with ammo and accessories. It's one stop shopping, they will show you how to take it apart and get you everything you need for your new weapon. All at a premium, of course, but if the customers are satisfied, then that's good enough.

For those who are more serious about research before buying, I send them to Right to Bear Arms in Haubstadt. Much cheaper than GM, excellent, knowledgeable, friendly and non-intimidating owners plus they will accept any legal online order and only charge $20 cash FFL transfer fee. (That's my route. Thanks slickguns.com!)

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne

I don't shoot enough centerfire to invest the time and money for it. Although I did purchase a 9mm carbine for giggles.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Is that high for a Glock that I can get new for $530?

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    My brother bought a new 12 gauge at GM Greenwood last month. Got if home and found it defective.
    GM did nothing to make it right.

I will pass on visiting GM and spending my $$$ there.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    For those who are more serious about research before buying, I send them to Right to Bear Arms in Haubstadt. Much cheaper than GM, excellent, knowledgeable, friendly and non-intimidating owners plus they will accept any legal online order and only charge $20 cash FFL transfer fee. (That's my route. Thanks slickguns.com!)

+1 I used RTBA for my transfer, and they were great. I also hear from one of the staff that they're planning to build a shooting range...

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon

OK, go to dicks and price their guns and ammo. There **** aint cheap either.

I did see that Glock and I did laughed out loud, pointed at the gun, looked at the guy behind the counter and said, really?
    He had no clue. Welcome to the corporate world. Someone on the other side of the country is deciding what the price of that handgun should be, more than likely.

Im not a GM lover, dont get me wrong. I dont do alot of shopping anywhere other than kroger walmart aldis and local gun shops. But Ive popped my head into GM and dicks and cabelas and BPS and I came away with the same opinion of all of them. I just dont understand why everyone *****es about GM and no one *****es about all the rest. Dunno, must be whats "in" right now.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Some of the same people complaining about ammo prices are probably posting their 22lr for $50 a brick on here.

I agree with Young reload and save a ton. Besides most of my reloaded ammo is more accurate than the standard stuff.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon

Oh yea I forgot to add this to my last reply.

Its unfair to compare a retailer to another retailer when they are not in the same category.

Think of it this way, if GM only sold guns and ammo, it would be fair to compare them to a local gun shop.

If they sold sporting goods and groceries and hardware, and clothes, they would be a fair comparison to Walmart

It is only really fair to compare them to their DIRECT competitors, who are large sporting goods retail stores. Dicks, Cabelas, and BPS, among others.

Id love to start reloading but I feel like I should get a house first. Hell my bedroom already has so much workshop space in it I woory about having people over. I work on electronics and guns. It looks bad enough already in here. If I added reloading, someone would probably freak out and call you know who.

Not that I ever have anyone over.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    OVerpriced but well stocked showroom near Southlake Mall in NWI. I went there with wifey to let her try holding a few different pistols prior to ordering what she wanted online.....

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Just visited the Avon store yesterday for the first time. As expected prices were at best a bit high and sometimes ridiculous. For example, $299 for a S&W 22A pistol. They had a used one for $249. A quick search online finds prices around $210 new which I believe is what I paid for the one I bought my son.

On the other hand, I got a 250 round box of 38sp for $99 on sale. I think my general rule of thumb with them will be to only buy items that are on sale unless there's an urgent need.

Top Bottom