• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Serious question, When you observe a crime and the perpetrators are fleeing, when you radio for backup do you give as complete a description as possible or do you have other units stopping every white, black and oriental they see?

I addressed this earlier. For an unknown, detail is the key. These kids were not unknown to the OP. He knew who they were, and where they lived. He could have just as easily identified them by he building they lived in. INGO membership doesn't investigate crimes, there's no reason to qualify, unless he expects us to track down people he is already intimately aware of. And what's the point of that?

If they had been girls he could have used bevy, Or crows a murder, or bananas a bunch. Gang is simply a word to describe a group.

I utterly reject this premise. I'm not buying beachfront property in Arizona.... some times quotes mean something (unless, it's just yet another punctuation error).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Real question Kut. Why would you care as long as the eviction notice was legal?

A very wise man once said in one of his songs "I'm not gonna spend my life being a color". That sentence is at the core of everything that the vast majority of human beings believe in. Are we completely color blind as a nation yet? No, but we get there one step, one person at a time. I've stepped up to that, can you?

You hit the nail on the head. IS it legal? 48 hour eviction notice? OP infers that this notice came about as a result of this latest instance (straw and camel's back, and all that jazz). I have very serious doubts that IF there is an actual "48 hour notice," it was a result of this. In fact, I'm fairly confident, it isn't related at all. That's not how it works.
    I have no issue with the family being evicted. I myself would push for that. However, you can't willy nilly expel people from their residence without the reasonable opportunity, for them, to find accommodations.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Lots of apartment manager firms know the process cold. They don't need attorneys to do the 48 hour notice (I think, if it is part of the lease). If they do alot of evictions - as section 8 housing management firms tend to do - they only use their lawyer if things get really bad.

If they go to court, they need a lawyer, but they usually have one ready to go. I know the attorneys who represent a well-known Indy lower-income complex that was REALLY bad back in the 90s. The management group knows what they're doing.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Respect reciprocated,

To answer your question, I am trying to figure out why race was important enough to denote in the first place? Here on INGO, people lament when people separate themselves from the group, right? And yet, it appears to be completely acceptable to separate others, for no discernible reason. If you point out race, then by default, you speak in racial terms. If you speak in racial terms, then you are presenting it as something relevant. If I had spoken about a cheating banker and said in parenthesis (Jewish thief), then the fact that he was a Jew would apparently have some bearing, despite it not.

Interesting perspective I hadn't thought about regarding specifying that a banker was Jewish. Wouldn't a more apt comparison just be calling the banker white though? He didn't call them Africans... I am just trying to figure out why we draw lines where we do. Calling a banker Jewish could very well be an assumption based upon a stereotype, while calling the assailants in his story black was a statement of fact. Thoughts?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    While we're analyzing assumptions - what race is the OP?

Kut - ever cross your mind he might've been black?

;)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting perspective I hadn't thought about regarding specifying that a banker was Jewish. Wouldn't a more apt comparison just be calling the banker white though? He didn't call them Africans... I am just trying to figure out why we draw lines where we do. Calling a banker Jewish could very well be an assumption based upon a stereotype, while calling the assailants in his story black was a statement of fact. Thoughts?

Why call them anything at all except thugs or thieves? If they were unknown him, then I probably wouldn't have said anything. But he made clear he knows exactly who they are.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While we're analyzing assumptions - what race is the OP?

Kut - ever cross your mind he might've been black?

;)

Lol, nope... if a black person had said the same, I would have admonished them equally.... actually, I would've given them more grief.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Why call them anything at all except thugs or thieves? If they were unknown him, then I probably wouldn't have said anything. But he made clear he knows exactly who they are.

Like I mentioned in the first reply, a story without details is a skeleton. It was just a detail. That should implicate his story-telling more than his views on race, no? I don't see why it matters whether or not he knows who they are, he is telling the story to a group of people who do not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like I mentioned in the first reply, a story without details is a skeleton. It was just a detail. That should implicate his story-telling more than his views on race, no? I don't see why it matters whether or not he knows who they are, he is telling the story to a group of people who do not.

A story without relevant details is a skeleton. Details forward the story. Details are added so that the reader doesn't have to ask questions. If you tell a story about your neighbor not returning you hedge clippers, do you refer him as your white/black/asian neighbor? When speaking disparaging of a person, especially if they are known to you, the inclusion of their race/religion/beliefs is by default, also disparaged.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    A story without relevant details is a skeleton. Details forward the story. Details are added so that the reader doesn't have to ask questions. If you tell a story about your neighbor not returning you hedge clippers, do you refer him as your white/black/asian neighbor? When speaking disparaging of a person, especially if they are known to you, the inclusion of their race/religion/beliefs is by default, also disparaged.

All fair points. To be clear, I am not trying to argue one side or the other. I'm simply using you to expand my understanding of why these statements are perceived the way they are through your different perspective.

Plus I am padding my post count, so there is that. :)

He also mention that his GF was returning from a BBQ. Clearly an irrelevant detail, but I don't feel it subtracted from the story. Why does mentioning the race do so?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All fair points.
    He also mention that his GF was returning from a BBQ. Clearly an irrelevant detail, but I don't feel it subtracted from the story. Why does mentioning the race do so?

:popcorn:

The spouse and I were talking about this the other night.
    Growing up the news would always give a full description of any person of note that was being looked for at large or had committed a crime.
    These days many details are omitted so as not to offend the snowflakes.....:dunno:

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I don't see anything wrong with the way the OP described the situation in his first post.

He gave the details he thought where relevant to relate the story.

I feel like I understood the jest of what happened.

I don't think he had an agenda in telling it the way he did?

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN

Growing up the news would always give a full description of any person of note that was being looked for at large or had committed a crime.
    These days many details are omitted so as not to offend the snowflakes.....:dunno:

Wait you mean we are not special snowflakes that has to be protected form the harsh word of the world. :runaway:!!!

I was talking with my gf over the past couple of days and how in general society protects us from our own mistakes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think we should all work hard to be conscious of unnecessary racial overtones in our posts. No different than with other possible inappropriate groupings, we as a forum of Indiana gun owners do not want to allow any impression of intolerance.

That said, why does it always have to be INGO's self-appointed Al Sharpton stirring the up the racism pot on even the tiniest faux pas? :twocents:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think we should all work hard to be conscious of unnecessary racial overtones in our posts. No different than with other possible inappropriate groupings, we as a forum of Indiana gun owners do not want to allow any impression of intolerance.
    +1

That said, why does it always have to be INGO's self-appointed Al Sharpton stirring the up the racism pot on even the tiniest faux pas? :twocents:

Ugh.

Oh well.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Yes I am pretty close. I think I know where they live just from seeing the cruiser parked.
    Our area has settled down 95% over 4 years ago.
    I attribute this to the influx of some hard working Hispanic family's buying up the houses and investing in them. They have in effect ran the vermin out for the most part save for those we call the walkers that we know are out of the Apt. complexes looking for the odd item they can come back and take later.
    I would also like to thank the tireless efforts of the local LEO. These efforts have done so much to quite the stupidity. The stupid are having a much harder time remainging in the shadows.

I agree my parents street has gotten better over that past couple years. Alot of the investors decided to sell the properties and the Mexicans bought them and have been fixing them up. Has helped drastically. The old neighbors behind my parents had dea agents raid the house for drugs. Dad always told the department they were peddling big time out of the house and they finally did something. They also were section 8 with 5 or more people living in it that shouldn't be.

Now it's down to fewer rentals then past years but it still sucks because it is a cut through street and he has lost many cruisers to hit and runs and driveby's.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I grew up on the southside. I still can't believe how it's changing for the worse. Churchmouse has it right, the reason is the apartments, section 8, and the welfare state in general. The system is just so easy.

It is depressing to see the southside. If we knew where to move, we would be gone

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been on INGO too long.

I read the OP and knew exactly where this thread would end up.

And yes, it bothered me as well.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale

Eventually it will get to the point where the news will report a crime as someone did something. Until we determine which sex they identify with or race we will withhold the information. Matter of fact we won't tell you a guess on age or height or weight because that's demeaning and hurtful. So someone did something bad but in the world today you can't say anything else without people being offended.

Insert sarcasm if you like makes no difference since people will interpret it the way they feel fits best.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Eventually it will get to the point where the news will report a crime as someone did something. Until we determine which sex they identify with or race we will withhold the information. Matter of fact we won't tell you a guess on age or height or weight because that's demeaning and hurtful. So someone did something bad but in the world today you can't say anything else without people being offended.

Insert sarcasm if you like makes no difference since people will interpret it the way they feel fits best.

There's a really simple formula. Were they caught? No? Ok give all details race, height, weight, religion, hell you can even give the place that they like to eat brunch. Yes? They were caught? Ok post their name and mugshot.

Top Bottom