Gas for a penny a gallon due to glitch: do you buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy?

• Total voters

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Probably the same people that will take the wrong amount of change when they know they're being given too much money back.
    What's the difference in stealing a nickel or $100 bill? Isn't stealing.....well stealing?

Yes it is, in my opinion. And judging by some of the reactions my wife and I have received by business owners when we've corrected them (giving us too much change or ringing up the wrong amount), honesty must not be something they're used to encountering.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Half of INGO does not care if they hurt someone, sad indeed.

Yeah. To those who would fill up: If the store owner were standing in front of you, would you reach into his pocket and take his money? Taking advantage of a price glitch on the pump is just a coward's way of robbing him.

For some reason thy think they are sticking it to the big oil companies, (the big oil company got their money when the tanker put the gas into the storage tanks), but in fact they are taking it from the avg mom & pop store owner trying to put 3 kids through school, college, and still have some left over for retirement. It kind of makes you wonder who here really are considered to be of the "proper person"? :scratch:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I would, but at that same time, I wouldn't be shocked to see my card charged for the correct amount shortly thereafter. You can't tell me that they don't have any means to fix the glitch, and charge the difference..

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    honestly i dont see it as theft or as a crime. every time you go to buy gas there is a legal transaction. there is a product (1 gal of gas), there is a set price ($3.XX) you engage in buying a product for a set price. legally if they have a product priced at 1c then that is the price they are selling it at even if it is an error. i would deem it very unwise for the gas station owner to post charge the people who took advantage. i think he would face some serious legal issues.

the second part of this is peoples moral compass seems to be messed up. this is not sticking it to the man or getting some back from big oil. this is taking from someone. if you are ever confused as to your actions, just ask yourself if you would be happy if someone did this to you.

i believe this was a costly mistake for the owner. be it a mistake, a final F U from a unhappy employee but a lesson learned!

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I probably wouldn't, because I value my time and wouldn't sit in a line to get the cheap price. I always think that when gas starts to jump and you see people lined up 3 and 4 deep waiting to fill up at a gas station, I mean how long you willing to sit an wait to save 5 bucks?

I can see both sides of this argument, but is it any different then going in a store and the price tag on the shelf in front of a product says $4.99 then when you get the register it rings up $9.99 and you inform them that the tag on the shelf said $4.99 and they give you that price? Its the price advertised right?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thievery is stealing. This is underpaying. While perhaps also unconscionable, they are two distinct activities.

You're right but....I would hate to think I'm depriving some kid of shoes or a warmer jacket because I took advantage of someone's mistake.
    And just as bad...I wouldn't want my kid to go hungry or cold either.
    KNOWING it's a MISTAKE and not doing the right thing is WRONG.
    I may be old and ugly but I'm not ashamed to look at this weathered old face in the mirror.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Am I undergoing deja vu? I could have testified under penalty of perjury there was another recent thread about this exact same thing and I cannot find it.
    Anyhow, to re-iterate what I said then, virtue, markets, von Mises, guard alligators, dog collars, etc.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm surprised to see the polls as close as they are. I figured it would lean a lot more heavily towards the don't buy side. Personally I wouldn't buy. I wouldn't appreciate somebody taking advantage over me if I made an honest mistake.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I can see both sides of this argument, but is it any different then going in a store and the price tag on the shelf in front of a product says $4.99 then when you get the register it rings up $9.99 and you inform them that the tag on the shelf said $4.99 and they give you that price? Its the price advertised right?

I'm not sure the price was "advertised." - It's more like what happened to me at ace hardware. I bought 2 gallons of paint and some misc stuff but the total seemed very low. Not wanting to insult the cashier (I was a cashier in college) I said "wow, did you get everything?" She said yes. I completed the transaction and when I got into the parking lot I checked the receipt. sure enough I was only charged for 1 gallon. I went back in, said I'm sorry but it looks like I was only charged for one gallon, she apologized and I paid for the second.

I just don't get people who try to get over on someone else. Just seems like a crappy way to go through life. I dunno...

Top Bottom