• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    rpm's makes the volts.....load makes the amps......load = btu's.= hp......more load the btu's you need......

That's good enough for the scope of this discussion. It's true that rpm is responsible for the production of voltage and frequency.

It's also the energy in the fuel that provides the torque to maintain rpm. As long as the energy into the machine exceeds the energy out, you are basically ok (there is a whole other discussion about friction, heat, and sound that also consumes some of the input energy... ).

So say you have a 5hp engine that is running on gasoline and producing 5hp of torque. Then you hook up enough electrical load to equal 5hp (746 watts = 1hp. Again, this ignores other losses). In theory everything should be fine. Now you replace the gasoline with LP. As stated earlier, LP provides less energy than gasoline. Suddenly your engine is only producing 3.99hp. Your engine will likely stall quickly because the energy in the fuel can not keep that shaft rotating with all that load applied.

Hope that helps.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    That's good enough for the scope of this discussion. It's true that rpm is responsible for the production of voltage and frequency.

It's also the energy in the fuel that provides the torque to maintain rpm. As long as the energy into the machine exceeds the energy out, you are basically ok (there is a whole other discussion about friction, heat, and sound that also consumes some of the input energy... ).

So say you have a 5hp engine that is running on gasoline and producing 5hp of torque. Then you hook up enough electrical load to equal 5hp (746 watts = 1hp. Again, this ignores other losses). In theory everything should be fine. Now you replace the gasoline with LP. As stated earlier, LP provides less energy than gasoline. Suddenly your engine is only producing 3.99hp. Your engine will likely stall quickly because the energy in the fuel can not keep that shaft rotating with all that load applied.

Hope that helps.

yep that is what i was saying in a few less words.....more hp's needs more btu's......

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, what you're saying, is that my 18hp generator producing 16.56hp running on LP that has been sitting in it's tank for 36 months will provide 7200 watts of electricity for my house.

Good to know. :)

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    So, what you're saying, is that my 18hp generator producing 16.56hp running on LP that has been sitting in it's tank for 36 months will provide 7200 watts of electricity for my house.

Good to know. :)

Something else that is nice about propane, that you may have noticed. When you change the oil, it may look like new. Propane runs clean as a whistle.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Something else that is nice about propane, that you may have noticed. When you change the oil, it may look like new. Propane runs clean as a whistle.

Interesting side note- it's a Briggs motor and the user's guide recommends 5W-30 full synthetic for an operating range of -30 to 110* F

yep no carbon.......propane is under a buc a gallon now....

It's crazy. It is almost worth buying another tank and filling it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Interesting side note- it's a Briggs motor and the user's guide recommends 5W-30 full synthetic for an operating range of -30 to 110* F

It's crazy. It is almost worth buying another tank and filling it.

i have 2 500 gallon tanks with 80% in each that i heat with......i got it for $.98.99 last week......i have 275 gallons of treated diesel from my gen......

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    i have 2 500 gallon tanks with 80% in each that i heat with......i got it for $.98.99 last week......i have 275 gallons of treated diesel from my gen......

How long can you reasonably store the diesel? I understand if you take air out of the equation, it greatly extends shelf life.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    How long can you reasonably store the diesel? I understand if you take air out of the equation, it greatly extends shelf life.

i have had it for over 4 years with anti algaecide and i test fire the gen very month....fires up and runs for 20min.....still smells and looks like the day i filled.......i have use only about 15 gallons.........power has only went out a few times.....

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    i have had it for over 4 years with and i test fire the gen every month....fires up and runs for 20min.....still smells and looks like the day i filled.......i have use only about 15 gallons.........power has only went out a few times.....

that is pretty good. At work the generators are diesel, I believe that is because the wattage demand is very high just to power critical systems (back to your comments about btu & hp). I don't know how many gallons they store but it is rated for 36 hours of continuous run time. Of course the wattage requirement for my home is really quite low to keep the basic systems running, that is why I can use propane as the fuel source.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    that is pretty good. At work the generators are diesel, I believe that is because the wattage demand is very high just to power critical systems (back to your comments about btu & hp). I don't know how many gallons they store but it is rated for 36 hours of continuous run time. Of course the wattage requirement for my home is really quite low to keep the basic systems running, that is why I can use propane as the fuel source.

yes propane is a better for for long term......the reason i went with diesel was because at the time i was heating with wood only and i got a good deal on the gen.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Living in the city I opted for Gas genny's.
    Have a decent reserve. Also keep the tanks over half full in the trucks. I have a pump to pull fuel if the need arises.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I have #2 fuel oil / off road high sulphur Diesel I have had well over 10 years. Like stated above if a good algaecide is used I see much longer than I have stored it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got a propane generator hard wired with an auto disconnect. When the power quits it comes on automatically and runs some of the house circuits, easy peasy for us geezers.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've got a propane generator hard wired with an auto disconnect. When the power quits it comes on automatically and runs some of the house circuits, easy peasy for us geezers.

I don't recall if you bought that device or fabricated it yourself.? I like that luxury but I've only seen it on the 12kV and above stationary units.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't recall if you bought that device or fabricated it yourself.? I like that luxury but I've only seen it on the 12kV and above stationary units.

The genny setup and manual disconnect at the old house were home made. When we built this house I opted to to go the auto route with 15KW, I don't plan on moving again.

Top Bottom