• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I really like the idea of that double male cord plugged into the porch outlet. If that is a way to go, why are folks throwing so much money at switches, boxes and the like?

Because with out common sense being used serious injury and damage can be done. A standard receptacle is usually a 15 amp service rating. Lighting up half of a 100 amp box even if you just use select breakers it will overload that receptacle.
    Add to this if you (not you but) forget to open the main breaker you will back feed the lines and could injure or kill anyone working on them to restore power.
    I used to do this but not anymore for the above reasons. Dedicated cords to measured loads.

It's called a dead mans cord for a reason.
    Using a double male cord is the worst way to go when it comes to temporary power.

Here's the rest of the story boys, i said when I use a double ended male cord II am by myself at the farm first of all and I need just the basics.
    And I was using a Honda Super Quiet.
    The Honda is a 650 watt genset. 650 watts not 10,000...
    That's around 5 1/2 amps. So nothing is anywhere close to being overloaded.
    The main breaker is shut off by ME. The main breaker is turned on by ME.
    With this I have basic lighting and TV in the home. I can cycle the fridge a few times a day also.
    There's just me and sometimes my son, and he also understands how this work to. When I remodeled the home I wired it so this could be done..

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I dont think the first post really applies to us (USA). Things are much different here then say Europe. Though some of the points were good. But i vbleieve back roads are better then main which will be blocked. Also i think being in the middle of a city if a SHTF situation is worst case unless your out quick.

Let's see...

1. It definitely does apply. Regardless of specific location, human nature, which is always the driver in a SHTF, applies universally.

2. If things are bad enough to require significant numbers of people to move, do you really think all the country folk are just going to let every warm body roam through their space unchallenged? Only two things are required for an effective roadblock: A tree and a chainsaw. Even without this, I have noticed over the last 25 years, country roads in a rural county supporting more traffic in an hour than they used to all day. If you want a realistic picture, consider the normally unused rural roads in Parke County under normal conditions and then consider them under Covered Bridge Festival conditions. The latter is what you are likely to find in a mass movement, especially when the primary roads get jacked up one way or another, even if the locals don't do anything to inhibit outsiders from cruising through and/or squatting.

3. I will agree on not taking comfort in being in the middle of a city, although I would also believe that there are ways to deal with the situation is that is what you have to work with.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Let's see...

1. It definitely does apply. Regardless of specific location, human nature, which is always the driver in a SHTF, applies universally.

2. If things are bad enough to require significant numbers of people to move, do you really think all the country folk are just going to let every warm body roam through their space unchallenged? Only two things are required for an effective roadblock: A tree and a chainsaw. Even without this, I have noticed over the last 25 years, country roads in a rural county supporting more traffic in an hour than they used to all day. If you want a realistic picture, consider the normally unused rural roads in Parke County under normal conditions and then consider them under Covered Bridge Festival conditions. The latter is what you are likely to find in a mass movement, especially when the primary roads get jacked up one way or another, even if the locals don't do anything to inhibit outsiders from cruising through and/or squatting.

3. I will agree on not taking comfort in being in the middle of a city, although I would also believe that there are ways to deal with the situation is that is what you have to work with.
    Not only that, but who said there aren't bad-actors in rural areas who would play 'high-way man' and rob refugees? Just like in an urban area, the authorities will be on the main roads first, leaving the thugs to prowl side/back roads unless the gov't abandons it's presence on the main roads (nature abhors a vacuum). I think, excepting some natural disaster--fire, flood,etc--you're probably better off 'bugging in' and networking with your neighbors regardless of whether you're in an urban or rural area; and then if you HAVE to bug out, you can organize your own 'mad max' convoy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For me the genny is a part of rural living, although electricity here in The Great Southern Forest has proved more reliable than it was in Hancock County. I don't worry about the rest, the county road creeps out most visitors.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Indeed! I've got two boxes of mothballs in there now. No worries on pets or kids, as the doors stay locked.
    Hadn't thought of the residue though. Great point! Now I have to think of a muffler exhaust plumb to the exterior. ugh. :)

Stub a "dummy" gas water heater or furnace pipe through the roof and run car style exhaust up through it

Top Bottom