• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Still doesn't result in triple helices.

The X and Y synthetic neucleotide pairs are still pairs and only compatible with one another and not intercompatible with any existing neucleotides.

Nice try, though. These synthetic neucleotides are by far more likely to result in novel human biological changes than some farcical triple helix, or indeed any form of DNA other than the established double helix form.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying. They will always be in pairs, but in a triplex DNA one strand binds to a B-form Double Helix. I don't want you to take this knowledge as a pill from me and just swallow it, but have an open mind and go research it because they are pages on pages of articles, experiments, research, interviews, and published results saying that DNA Triplex's have been created.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not only is it impossible...

I appreciate the fact that you at least appear willing to contribute to the forums after having chased that Aimpoint so doggedly, but ...

Of all the insane things mankind is doing with genetic research these days, making triple-helixed DNA is not and cannot be among them.
    :): ^ :lmfao:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are misinterpreting what I am saying. They will always be in pairs, but in a triplex DNA one strand binds to a B-form Double Helix. I don't want you to take this knowledge as a pill from me and just swallow it, but have an open mind and go research it because they are pages on pages of articles, experiments, research, interviews, and published results saying that DNA Triplex's have been created.
    I did read that PopMech article. I didn't read anything in there about "B-form Double Helix"es. How could I misinterpret something that wasn't there?

Triple helices are impossible using DNA. Don't believe me, or what I wrote upthread. Read what HeadlessRoland is cooikin'.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    “Living chromosomes function just like solitonic/holographic computers using the endogenous DNA laser radiation.”

This sentence is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever read. At no point in its rambling, incoherent jargon was it even close to anything that can be considered a rational, scientific fact. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it.

I award you no rep, and may god have mercy on your soul.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ok smartguys (smartgirls) but what about quadhelixed DNA!? Yeah, chew on that one. 4 is better than 3 which is better than 2.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only thing that I can visualize as a "quadruple helix" strand of DNA is if you have two discrete strands of DNA zippered together. They're physicly interleaved, but not actually chemicly joined. I'm not sure the covalent bond strength in the phosphate deoxyribose backbone can take such stresses.

The G-quadruplex structures are just knots tied in an ordinary double-helix strand of DNA, usually in the end to keep the double-helix from unravelling, but they can appear in a long run of DNA, where they act as stops to prevent the genetic read-write heads from transcribing that area. They have no genetic information in and of themselves, being as they are rich in guanine. It would be like claiming the landing zone of a hard drive platter is rich in information, even though the only information it's permitted to contain is 0xAA55AA55AA55AA55…

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, so DNA is a string of base pairs. Pairs. Are we going to come up with more nucleotides (or different ones?) that can form up in threes? And this is just for some of the strands, or was I missing something? And what do these propellerheads think is going to be accomplished by doing this? All this crap about telekinesis and telepathy is, at this point, junk science handwaving to (presumably) extract money from the information-proof consumers of astrology etc. Then, wouldn't we have to build new types of ribosomes and whatnot to take them apart and put them back together? How is it to be determined which parent contributes one, and which two strands? Will there have to be three parents? Which parent, then, is left out of those old fashioned two strand ones? I'm-a thinkin somebody is pulling all this out of his rectal orifice, and it bears the appropriate resemblance to what usually comes out there.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    This could convey significant benefits. If genetic inheritance worked for this triple helix, as it does for our double helix, then you would need all three copies of a genetic sequence to be defective for a bad gene to be able to express itself. If you inheritted just one bad copy of a gene from one of your three parents, you're still golden, since your other two parents have your back (assuming such a creature has a back to have) with their good copies of the gene. Even if you inheritted two bad copies of a gene from two of your three parents, you're still golden, since your third parent still has your back with their good copy of the gene. You would have to inherit not one, not two, but three copies of a defective gene in order to wind up succumbing to a genetic disease like sickle-cell, breast cancer, parkinson's, etc.

Unless one mutated copy expresses a constitutively active oncogenic receptor, in which case even that one mutant copy gives you cancer. Other examples of a one-hit disease are easy to point out.

Don't go trying to instill sense and logic into one of the most retarded threads I've encountered on the internet...and that's saying a lot.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Is this one of those psych experiments to see who knows some buzzwords about molecular biology, or who really knows something about molecular biology?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Is this one of those psych experiments to see who knows some buzzwords about molecular biology, or who really knows something about molecular biology?

Okay, I tried to pass on this thread, but I can no longer restrain myself. Your very astute question asked at-large is precisely what's been killiing me since the moment of inception of this thread - the article/transcript that OP posted doesn't even have anything to do with biology! It's a metaphor! 'Triple strand of DNA' in the context presented is a metaphor for modernizing the healthcare system, using the 'triple strands' of reformed delivery and payment, responsive customer support, and modern information technology. It is absolutely nothing to do with DNA or actual manipulation of DNA. To put it as politely as I possibly can, I am at the very least superemely disappointed that the public education system could fail anyone so much, so hard, so intensely, as to lead to the lack of reading comprehension being put on display by OP. It's one thing to make an honest mistake: it's another to cling onto that same delusion and to repeat it and double down on it and then just start making things up. I know that INGO frowns upon certain phrases, but my best and only hope is that OP is just baiting everyone, being fully aware that what he posted has nothing to do with the context in which he wound up describing it. If not, I am genuinely concerned and sincerely worried about the future of education in these United States of America. Totally. All of which brings me to a point which is just as tangential and pointless as this entire thread has been: deny the State - homeschool.

bait.png

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    you're a closed-minded prick

You lack the most basic form of critical thinking

spineless douches like you

don't disappoint me who is probably half your age with your childish insults.

Please go enlighten your below average and obsolete mind on the link I posted above.
    You know that crap isn't allowed here...right?
    :mods:

Top Bottom