• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Been away from INGO for some time now working on getting my head straight. I'll probably never be finished in that regard but part of the process has been reprioritizing things in my life and recognizing what is healthy and what is not. My wife and I went down to Austin, TX back in October to visit my son. He was raised down there while I was up here so I was never able to really be a father to him like I would have preferred but one thing I was able to instill in him is a passion for fishing. While we were there he and I spent two days on the water, me in his kayak and he on is paddle board. I've owned kayaks before but never fished from one and I really enjoyed the experience so I decided then and there that I was going to buy one and start spending more time doing something that is good for my soul, something I haven't done with regularity in a few decades.

I picked up a 2022 Nucanoe Pursuit last week off of FB marketplace. Since I've had a shoulder replaced, paddling for any length of time doesn't work well for me and I had decided that I wanted a peddle kayak. Nucanoe offers the only models (that I know of) with the ability to attach a pedal system to without having a hole in the bottom of the boat. The peddle system (Pivot Drive they call it) runs off of a cable to the back of the boat so propulsion is from the rear which offers a great deal of maneuverability. After weeks and weeks of research I decided this was the system I wanted and got a pretty good deal on this one already well decked out. I ordered the Pivot Drive system for it yesterday and can't wait to get this thing on the water.

sjo1udnh.jpg

The one thing I wasn't prepared for was how heavy this thing is. I rigged up a system I though was going to work to haul it around in the bed of my truck but between the weight of the boat and the height of my truck it was a no go. We got it up there for the trip home but there's no way I'd be able to do it by myself so I started thinking about a trailer.

dVSwGrth.jpg

I have a small little trailer I paid $50 for a couple of years ago that's just been sitting so I pulled it out and started looking it over. The frame is pretty lightweight but I think it'll work out fine for this purpose. I'm going to have to extend the tongue by several feet so I'm in the process of trying to locate some square tubing to have it welded in place. Once I have that I'll buy a boat winch frame to bolt on to it, a new wiring harness and lights and I plan to build a plywood 4'x8' box with a big slide out drawer to sit on top of it. The drawer will hold my rods, PFD, paddle, etc and I'll use PVC and Unistrut channel on top of the box to hold the kayak in place. Eventually we'll have another kayak for my wife so I plan to set it up for that eventuality from the get go.

hjKI8iMh.jpg

Figured I'd pop in, say hello and maybe get some pointers from the experienced kayak fishermen. I've got a public access ramp to the White River less than 10 minutes from the house and I'm told it's a fantastic smallmouth fishery so I figure I'll spend a good bit of time there. Morse is only 10 minutes away and Geist less than 30 so I plan to hit those regularly as well. Hopefully once we have a second boat I'll be able to entice my son up here more often.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Following this thread my biggest problem
    With kayaks is always the seats after multiple back surgeries. Still looking for a solution…. My one gripe with kayaks besides the seats (that’s a personal issue) is the storage behind the seat is anyone on here actually flexible enough to retrieve things from there while seated on the water !??!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Following this thread my biggest problem
    With kayaks is always the seats after multiple back surgeries. Still looking for a solution…. My one gripe with kayaks besides the seats (that’s a personal issue) is the storage behind the seat is anyone on here actually flexible enough to retrieve things from there while seated on the water !??!
    Haven't had mine on the water yet but sitting on it in the grass I can reach the box behind me pretty well. Hopefully that doesn't change too much once I'm afloat.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Haven't had mine on the water yet but sitting on it in the grass I can reach the box behind me pretty well. Hopefully that doesn't change too much once I'm afloat.
    Maybe it goes back to my back issue lol I just feel like you have to be a yoga master to get to it not ruling out me being the problem

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have contemplated going the kayak route myself. Easier to store and haul than my boat and with my health launching and loading the boat is not getting easier.

I would not venture on to a river without a motorized one though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Maybe it goes back to my back issue lol I just feel like you have to be a yoga master to get to it not ruling out me being the problem
    They offer a swivel seat for these which I'll wait to invest in until I find I need one. Spending enough money on this already lol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have contemplated going the kayak route myself. Easier to store and haul than my boat and with my health launching and loading the boat is not getting easier.

I would not venture on to a river without a motorized one though.
    I won't be going out when the water is moving quickly. When I do the plan is to peddle upstream and float back down. Worst case scenario I call my wife and/or daughter, have them go get my truck and pick me up downstream lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not a fisherman but a kayaker. You can turn that trailer into a nice kayak trailer. There are lots of ideas on the internet for converting all kinds of trailers into kayak haulers or adding racks to utility trailers to haul them.

My kayak is not heavy but once I get my utility trailer rebuilt, I may rig up a removable rack to haul mine so I don't have to throw it up on my roof.

Or I may just toss it in the trailer, lol.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well I think the trailer I have is gonna be a no go. Just got back from discount tire and I failed to notice that it had a 15" and a 16" wheel on it when I took them off. Between a new set of wheels, the welding required, the cost of the steel tube to lengthen the tongue and how lightweight the frame is I think it's more work and effort than I'm willing to put into it.

Time to hunt for a cheap boat trailer or another utility trailer I can easily convert. Kind of a bummer, I really like the way the suspension is set up on the axle, haven't seen one like it before. Maybe that's a good thing, may not have handled the weight once I got it set up anyway but I'll never know.

Anyone wanna buy a little train wreck, redneck trailer with two different sized wheels meant for emergency spares for cars? Lol, Ugh.....

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yep those are torsion axles like Rookie said.

If it was me I would stick with that trailer and just get matching wheels. I would just get it useable at first. After you use it for a summer you will then know how you want to modify it to better suit your needs. That will help keep you from having to redo something you already did.

Top Bottom