• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Following this thread my biggest problem
    With kayaks is always the seats after multiple back surgeries. Still looking for a solution…. My one gripe with kayaks besides the seats (that’s a personal issue) is the storage behind the seat is anyone on here actually flexible enough to retrieve things from there while seated on the water !??!
    Vibe Kayaks makes some with a raised seat and storage under the seat that pulls out easily. They’re pricey though

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well I think the trailer I have is gonna be a no go. Just got back from discount tire and I failed to notice that it had a 15" and a 16" wheel on it when I took them off. Between a new set of wheels, the welding required, the cost of the steel tube to lengthen the tongue and how lightweight the frame is I think it's more work and effort than I'm willing to put into it.

Time to hunt for a cheap boat trailer or another utility trailer I can easily convert. Kind of a bummer, I really like the way the suspension is set up on the axle, haven't seen one like it before. Maybe that's a good thing, may not have handled the weight once I got it set up anyway but I'll never know.

Anyone wanna buy a little train wreck, redneck trailer with two different sized wheels meant for emergency spares for cars? Lol, Ugh.....
    Glad to see you back Phylo.

How hard is it to get the Kayak off of your truck with the set up you have? What I'm thinking maybe some ramps that will fit inside the tubes you have on the truck, maybe smaller diameter PVC tubes if they will support the weight, with a boat winch or even a come along mounted at the front. Slide the ramps out and slide the kayak down to unload, then use the winch to slide it back up to load.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Glad to see you back Phylo.

How hard is it to get the Kayak off of your truck with the set up you have? What I'm thinking maybe some ramps that will fit inside the tubes you have on the truck, maybe smaller diameter PVC tubes if they will support the weight, with a boat winch or even a come along mounted at the front. Slide the ramps out and slide the kayak down to unload, then use the winch to slide it back up to load.
    With the lift and tires on my truck it's more than I can swing by myself. I'd planned on a trailer eventually as my wife wants a kayak as well, just gonna have to speed up the process.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Very familiar with that stretch of the river and the fishing is good. Sometimes it's nice nice to just get away and do a quick float. If you're looking for someone to paddle and fish with, don't be a stranger.

6aGYpLb.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wouldn't dare buck the idea of throwing money into a hole in the water, but what if one just bought a cheapy box store yak that was light, easy to toss around and stable in the water?

Without all the weight and bulk from expensive complicated additions, maybe just treat paddling as therapy, without the idea of having to paddle hundreds of yards between casts? For me, casting is harder on the body structure than paddling is. Not to mention shoving around a heavy-assed boat. Paddling actually works towards positive muscle/joint structure, if done smartly in moderation. I could be mistaken, but I believe pedal kayaks still require the occasional paddling? Might be good to have a working knowledge of what paddling works, what hurts and what not to tweek out in the middle of nowhere, when the pedal assembly turns into a weed magnet and you are out of cellular coverage?

When you get too much stuff to haul around, the next thing you know you've turned your relaxing recreation into chore. A chore that will require a whole day devoted to, rather than a quick decision that you have a couple/three hours to fish. Too often, when you have made a monumental effort to get the boat and all the stuff on the water, you feel you have to stay out on a bad fishing day to try to turn it into something to justify the effort. I see gents on the water all the time, hours and hours into a skunked fishing day. The same with changing weather. Folks on the water, when it would be smarter to get off, but they are trying to squeeze something out of their investment of getting all the stuff on the water, then later loaded back up.

Even if seldom used, the "quick and easy yak" might make a worthwhile investment for a quick answer to put friends and family on the water with you.

:twocents:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm an admitted gadget guy and I enjoy upgrading things that I spend a lot of time with/on. Paddling is a hard no for me, my shoulder ended my career much earlier than I'd planned. I've had the shoulder replaced and am enjoying a relatively pain free existence after five years of agony, I don't intend to screw that up.

A very large part of this endeavor was specifically for the excercise. My days of lifting weights, running and swimming to stay in shape are long gone and I'm paying the price for a lot of hard use/abuse. I used to enjoy road biking but the shoulder jacked that up as well.

I've wanted a bass boat since I was old enough to watch the B.A.S.S. tournaments on TV as a kid. Had I stayed in Texas when I got out of the Army I have no doubt that I would have many years of Ranger ownership under my belt by now but when I came back to IN I just didn't have the motivation considering the lack of highly viable bass fishing waters compared to TX so I abandoned the idea.

Nope, I'm perfectly fine with my decision here and I'm more excited about it than I have been about anything in a very long time. The ability to trailer this thing to TX and spend quality time with my son in our only shared passion is icing on the cake. This is perfect for me in every appreciable way.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Following this thread my biggest problem
    With kayaks is always the seats after multiple back surgeries. Still looking for a solution…. My one gripe with kayaks besides the seats (that’s a personal issue) is the storage behind the seat is anyone on here actually flexible enough to retrieve things from there while seated on the water !??!
    I put my bait bucket right behind my seat and blindly reach back for bait. Also I usually have a frozen gatorade and a power bar back there. Beyond that, no, it's wasted space unless you're carrying something that you're going to unpack at destination. I put in a 4" round hatch back there to store my valuables.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm an admitted gadget guy and I enjoy upgrading things that I spend a lot of time with/on. Paddling is a hard no for me, my shoulder ended my career much earlier than I'd planned. I've had the shoulder replaced and am enjoying a relatively pain free existence after five years of agony, I don't intend to screw that up.

A very large part of this endeavor was specifically for the excercise. My days of lifting weights, running and swimming to stay in shape are long gone and I'm paying the price for a lot of hard use/abuse. I used to enjoy road biking but the shoulder jacked that up as well.

I've wanted a bass boat since I was old enough to watch the B.A.S.S. tournaments on TV as a kid. Had I stayed in Texas when I got out of the Army I have no doubt that I would have many years of Ranger ownership under my belt by now but when I came back to IN I just didn't have the motivation considering the lack of highly viable bass fishing waters compared to TX so I abandoned the idea.

Nope, I'm perfectly fine with my decision here and I'm more excited about it than I have been about anything in a very long time. The ability to trailer this thing to TX and spend quality time with my son in our only shared passion is icing on the cake. This is perfect for me in every appreciable way.
    I also have a really hard time leaving something alone.

Check out the Vibe Bixpy for a possible future upgrade. They make a rudder mount, then you would be able to have pedal and motor capabilities.

Good luck and I hope you both have plenty of quality time on the water.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    That's a real nice float you have. I'd stick with the trailer you have. One wheel and a couple used tires is a modest investment compared to a new trailer. Also you could rig that trailer to carry multiple yaks which would be convenient when you and your son decide to float together. If you prefer to carry the yak in the truck, they make various hitch mounted racks or even bed cranes. But they can get pricy depending upon which you style you choose.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Next you need a fishfinder with GPS, an anchor trolley, and a power pole.
    A fishfinder is on the list for sure, I haven't decided on an anchor yet but I don't see me investing in a power pole but who knows. I'm hoping with the ability to peddle and maintain position somewhat hands free I'll be able to get by without one but time will tell.

I've started doing a little research on fish finders but it's a bit intimidating since I have zero experience with them. I'll probably end up picking up a used one in the next couple of months.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't decided on an anchor yet...

I've started doing a little research on fish finders but it's a bit intimidating since I have zero experience with them. I'll probably end up picking up a used one in the next couple of months.

This one is pretty cheap, but has worked well. Tie off on the bottom and run a light breakable zip tie through the top and around the rope. I painted mine yellow...

1677121435832.png

I put this one on my wish list a little over a year ago. It had good reviews and a lot of YouTube info and support. Never ended up getting the yak in the water last year, much less buy the fishfinder.

1677121925454.png

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That's a real nice float you have. I'd stick with the trailer you have. One wheel and a couple used tires is a modest investment compared to a new trailer. Also you could rig that trailer to carry multiple yaks which would be convenient when you and your son decide to float together. If you prefer to carry the yak in the truck, they make various hitch mounted racks or even bed cranes. But they can get pricy depending upon which you style you choose.
    Agreed on the trailer, unless he could sell the one he has for a decent price to offset the cost of another that may be better for him. Rural king has 15" rim and tire for a trailer for $125-150 I think.

And I didn't even think about the bed crane. I think I've seen some removable ones that just drop in the stake pocket. Doesn't do a lot of weight but should be enough for a kayak.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    This one is pretty cheap, but has worked well. Tie off on the bottom and run a light breakable zip tie through the top and around the rope. I painted mine yellow...

View attachment 257675

I put this one on my wish list a little over a year ago. It had good reviews and a lot of YouTube info and support. Never ended up getting the yak in the water last year, much less buy the fishfinder.

View attachment 257677
    Painted it yellow? What a great idea. I'm going to paint mine too. And your advice on how to rig it is exactly right. I am in the process of installing my new Garmin Striker 4.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm cheap. I use a clamp, a 2lb dumbbell and a 'biner. In the canoe I use a jam cleat intead of the clamp.

Basics
    Ooz2a3u.jpg

Tried to find a picture that clearly shows it in use, but this is the best I can come up with.
    1CdMLY6.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A fishfinder is on the list for sure, I haven't decided on an anchor yet but I don't see me investing in a power pole but who knows. I'm hoping with the ability to peddle and maintain position somewhat hands free I'll be able to get by without one but time will tell.

If you are lake bound mostly you can hang a bunch of stuff off the yak and get used to it pretty easy. I can get obsessive with things at times.

I like the more spartan approach of whatever fits in a a milk crate and two rods. Quick in and around. Get to where I think the fish are at and spend time with rods in the water. I can fit a lot in a canoe or kayak but most of the kayaks I have are more river runners than fishing yak’s.

don’t let the lack of having something keep you off the water. Safe and simple often works well. I seem to get lots of bites trolling to a spot and a wacky worm rig early in the year in the warmer water areas.

Top Bottom