• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Follow-up question, what do ya'll like to hunt with? I am a lefty so i was considering 12 gauge or lever-action 30-30 now that it's an option.

You would be equally well served with either, as long as you don't mind the empties ejecting across your line of sight, assuming that you don't go to the trouble of getting the uncommon southpaw version of the pump or auto shotgun.
    Don't forget that southpaw versions of bolt actions are quite a bit easier to obtain, and they greatly expand your options with the newly legalized calibers (.243 or .308 bore and 1.16 minimum case length), so you would have probably the ideal artillery piece if you can find one built with the bolt on the "wrong" side.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome!

Great advice given so far. For your first hunt don't over think it. Yeah, there are all sorts of things you can do to increase your chances for harvesting a deer, but the time tested method of being patient still probably wins out. Its easy to get discouraged early and think about moving stands, trying calls, etc. Hunt the wind and know how it can hurt an help you, but don't get in a hurry to change things up if you don't see any deer immediately.

If you haven't actually field dressed a deer or other medium game before, definitely talk to someone who has, and even check to see if you can find someone to show you how if you are fortunate enough to take an animal. The internet is great, but there is nothing like doing it in person to really get a feel for it. I know the first time I field dressed a deer I was being very careful as I didn't want to do something wrong. The person coaching me said "relax, its already dead, you can't hurt it." :)

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    You would be equally well served with either, as long as you don't mind the empties ejecting across your line of sight, assuming that you don't go to the trouble of getting the uncommon southpaw version of the pump or auto shotgun.
    Don't forget that southpaw versions of bolt actions are quite a bit easier to obtain, and they greatly expand your options with the newly legalized calibers (.243 or .308 bore and 1.16 minimum case length), so you would have probably the ideal artillery piece if you can find one built with the bolt on the "wrong" side.

Rounds flying in front of my line of sight is a cross i have to bare anyhow, haha. Good point on the bolt action though..i thought about that too since cheaper models like the Ruger American jumped on the LH train but..if i'm being honest i'm a sucker for a lever action.

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    Welcome!

Great advice given so far. For your first hunt don't over think it. Yeah, there are all sorts of things you can do to increase your chances for harvesting a deer, but the time tested method of being patient still probably wins out. Its easy to get discouraged early and think about moving stands, trying calls, etc. Hunt the wind and know how it can hurt an help you, but don't get in a hurry to change things up if you don't see any deer immediately.

If you haven't actually field dressed a deer or other medium game before, definitely talk to someone who has, and even check to see if you can find someone to show you how if you are fortunate enough to take an animal. The internet is great, but there is nothing like doing it in person to really get a feel for it. I know the first time I field dressed a deer I was being very careful as I didn't want to do something wrong. The person coaching me said "relax, its already dead, you can't hurt it." :)

Thank you very much, i appreciate the knowledge. I just got into firearms in general a few years ago and hunting is something i'd really like to participate in. Grew up in a house without guns and no hunting so i'm starting from scratch here. My father-in-law used to hunt so if/when the day comes i bag one i might just drop by his house for a field dress lesson! haha

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lefty and righty...........

Not a lever action, but it has a level...............falling block.
    Ruger #1's are pretty (but not cheap).
    You could go TC Contender or Encore, break open single shot w interchangeable barrels (not the bargain they once were IMHO).
    CVA scout is a single shot that gets good reviews and isn't high priced (my hunting bud runs one in .35 rem- trimmed to be legal).

On field dressing a deer..............it's just a giant rabbit.
    In fact, with the stuff being bigger, I think them actually easier.

If you've done small game, don't sweat it. If you haven't...........watch a couple of youtube videos.

Zach757

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2015
    Inidanapolis
    BTW, I like to hunt with a bow, recurve especially.
    Gun season is fun, but it's just different.

Thanks for the input, I've looked at that CVA a time or two and price-wise i think it'd be a good choice. Helped a little with small game for friends in the past so maybe i wont be as helpless as i think. haha

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Rounds flying in front of my line of sight is a cross i have to bare anyhow, haha. Good point on the bolt action though..i thought about that too since cheaper models like the Ruger American jumped on the LH train but..if i'm being honest i'm a sucker for a lever action.

There are lots of good reasons to like a quality lever gun...my own Marlin 1894 .45 Colt, used to take three deer so far...
    In dress attire:
    DSCF0591.jpg

In hunting attire (wearing the excellent and now sadly discontinued Kane Gun Chaps):
    Marlin_1894_45_Colt_Camo.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A clean #1 for less than 700 is gonna be a tough find.
    Since Ruger has reduced #1 offerings, they're kinda drying up.
    Used to be 6-7 pages on Gunbroker. Now it's down to maybe 1 or 2.

The nicer the wood, the more they cost.
    Redpads seem to do better sale wise, but they might not have as good of barrels.
    Old redpads with killer wood..........that's what folks seem to want.

Mine's an '85 model, but proly the most boring wood ever seen on a #1.

I let a '77 #1B with gorgeous wood slide by on GB a couple of yrs ago.
    It haunts me to this day.

I'd have babied it, only hunted chucks with it.

The RSI since it has bland wood, will be a deer hunting machine. I aint worried about dinging it up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    #1's can be a PITA to scope, are heavy, single shot......with a funky forend attachment.
    And they usually cost a chunk o' change.

Silly/stupid/whatever.

They get into you blood. You'll buy one, it might shoot great, might suck. Doesn't matter. You sell/trade it off and always want another.

They have a certain feel.

Gotta have at least one in the safe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, I've had an 1894 Marlin. It shot well too.
    And I've had a couple of Winchester 94's (Big Bore .307 and a Canadian Centennial)
    and at least three 9422M

The ONLY lever gun I'll ever buy again...........maybe, MAYBE.............as Savage 99. Even if I did I'd have to have a custom buttstock for it.
    An old one, worn, in .300 Savage, with high comb stock for scope usage, maybe an old K4 on it.

That'd be cool.

I dislike scopes on the Winchester 94's. Think a scope on a Marlin could be tolerable.
    Stock isn't set up right for that IMHO.
    Usable, but not ideal.

My little 1894 wore a scope and it shot great. But the look and feel said "bye bye".

Honestly, I like my little Contender rifle way more.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In .44 mag I'd rather run a Ruger auto (old sporter/fingergroove model).
    They have crappy triggers and so-so accuracy.
    Look super cool though.
    Should be a 100 and in rig (depending on sighs- one I shot had HUGE front bead and peep, so was a 75 yard and in rig).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy bought a BLR (Browning Lever Rifle).
    It's in .308 or 243 (can't remember).
    Might even be a newer take down model.

He LOVES it.

I think they are homely as sin.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, I sold two guns to buy the #1.
    Did OK...........both were good shooters. Proly should have kept them ( 3 screw SBH and High Standard .22rf).
    I did not buy the RSI because I like 'em. I bought it to rebarrel and change forend. Then the state changed the regs and it's usable as is.
    I wanted a 1A (22" bbl instead of 20") and have it custom made in .35 Remington (because they never made 'em, and it's a cool old cartridge).
    Nonneman's said he'd rebarrel it for 500-550.
    Looked and looked for a Alex Henry forend used, couldn't find one (did not ask Nonneman).

So it stays original for now.

I'd rather it wear an AH forend though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I wanted a #1 for deer, under current regs, a 1A in .243 win would get the nod.
    Just never saw one around.
    Was looking for one to do the .35 rem conversion.
    Or get a CHP #1 and just have it rechambered.
    Prices on that collectible have gone crazy.
    CHP #1 without the logo (lesser quantity than CHP logo model) are $1500 plus.
    And that used.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My current hunting spot is small (used to hunt bigger ground).
    A rifled bore 20 ga 870 would work just fine, heck proly a smoothbore.
    Trim enough to give a rifle feel IMHO (LW receiver, not the old full size model).
    Shots proly 75 yards or under.

Top Bottom