• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I disagree. Just because the 380 doesn't have a place in YOUR arsenal doesn't mean its not a viable option for self defense. By your standard, why carry a 9mm, why not .45 acp. and why stop there, why not carry a .460? different people tolerate recoil differently. The millions of .380 rounds sold every year seem to back my point up quite nicely.

Wow, you're reading a lot more into my post than what was said.

If a .380 is the most you feel comfortable with, I still applaud you for taking responsibility for your own safety. However, I'd be willing to bet with very minimal training, that you'd be able to handle 9mm .40 or .45 just as effectively.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I think that the Glock 42 does fit into the gun market for people who want a small caliber pistol that they can handle. Therefore, I think they will sell a bunch of them. Hopefully, this a pre-cursor to them making this same frame available in 9mm next.

As for making a splash with gun enthusiasts (who buy most of the guns in this country), they definitely missed the boat (and the bus to take them to the boat). Super-compact .380's were the fad before the single-stack 9mm fad, which has been in full swing for a while now. If the 42 was going to be a single-stack 9mm, I would have already been down to my LGS to get on the waiting list.

Between Glock (non-innovative company who's guns are available everywhere) and Kel-Tec (highly-innovative company who's guns you cannot find anywhere)....I am ready to pull my hair out.

PS...my hope of Glock ever producing a pistol-caliber carbine just went down the crapper. poop.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    personally, I think its a miss. why go with this pistol when sacrificing just a smidgen more in size will get you twice the rounds in 9mm?

it will sell to the glock fan boys and such but, I definitely wont give up my G27 for this.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Wow, you're reading a lot more into my post than what was said.

If a .380 is the most you feel comfortable with, I still applaud you for taking responsibility for your own safety. However, I'd be willing to bet with very minimal training, that you'd be able to handle 9mm .40 or .45 just as effectively.

I agree that with most ppl, you can train them into a larger caliber. But remember, there are alot of people who have problems racking the slide, even on a 9mm. Lighter recoil spring requirements for 380, means its easier to actuate the slide. Also, alot of people are not "operators" They do not WANT to train themselves in order to feel comfortable with a larger caliber, when they can shoot 380 just fine, and honestly, theres nothing wrong with 380.

That being said. I think it should have been 9mm, because its a nato round, and totally doable in a small handgun these days.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Looks like glock is trying to cash in on that market . Like Kahr , lcp , lcr and so on . I would like to see it and hold before I make any rash decisions on a new pistol
    I think it will sell by the bucket full to the masses

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    True, Shields are starting to come around (still in low #'s)..but show me 9mm XD's in any kind of wide availability.

Glock would see more success with a single stack 9mm, a 380?, not so much.

ZX in Fort Wayne had a case full of XDS. Not sure how many were 9s though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    For my money, 41 a hit and 42 a miss.. BUT I didn't have any 380s to start with . I'm sure someone will be excited about the 42 but since I'm carrying a G-35 or a 1911 "teeny" is not a issue for me. 42 might be a great pistol for a gurley man. For those of you that don't understand the purple I'll put my flame suit on just in case. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I don't have any interest.

It's only .5" shorter in slide length compared to a G26. And the length of a handgun slide is the easiest part to conceal. And I would assume that .5" is because it has a .5" shorter barrel than a G26. For me, it does not seem like a beneficial trade off.

It is the same height as a G26. So since the grip is the same height, not much of a difference in ease of concealment there.

It's only benefit is the width. It is 1/4" slimmer. That is such a small change that the thickness of your holster used could make up that difference compared to a G26. Example...thin Kydex holster vs. Thick leather holster.

And for the 1/4" savings...you loose 4 rounds. Again..IMHO...Not a worthwhile trade off.

Not to mention that you now have a proprietary magazine that will not work with any other Glock model.

So even if Glock comes out with a 9mm model...I don't see much of a benefit. At least that is my:twocents:.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What will the price tag be?

They havent even officially been announced yet. This is all scoops due to folks getting a peek at the teasers between when they are printed/uploaded and when they are mailed/published respectively in magazines and on youtube.

Official announcement to be made at the SHOT show in a week or two. I'd expect a solid price then.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I think all the Glock haters have come to these threads to say "I hate Glocks" or "gun X is better". The title was Hit or Miss-can't you just explain its a Miss in your opinion?

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    For me personally this is a miss simply because it's chambered in .380 instead of 9mm. Now that isn't to say they can't or won't release another model with the same dimensions but chambered in 9mm. If they do that, I would probably pick one up to compare to my Shield. Until that day, however, my Shield's place as my deep concealment option will not be threatened. :)

Top Bottom