• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I believe that's about as best anyone ever really feels about Big Dots. I have a hard time believing that anyone claiming to "love them" really shoots them very much.

HD's or I-Dot's with the rear U notch (for me at least) are everything Big Dots wanted to be.

I-Dot vs. Big Dot size comparison:

406238164.jpg

Sight Picture: (front stands out better in person, camera kept auto-focusing on the rear)

406237202.jpg

Sounds about right to me. One of my G19s have Big Dots and I really want to love them, but it always takes a while on each range trip to figure out where to hold. Once I get it figured out, I'm ok with them, but with each range trip, it starts all over. I'd probably be Ok if they were on every gun I own, but I'd never do that and so I find myself needing to figure them out on each range trip.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds about right to me. One of my G19s have Big Dots and I really want to love them, but it always takes a while on each range trip to figure out where to hold. Once I get it figured out, I'm ok with them, but with each range trip, it starts all over. I'd probably be Ok if they were on every gun I own, but I'd never do that and so I find myself needing to figure them out on each range trip.

I kind of run into this issue too. It seems to take me a mag or two to get dialed in. After that I fall into a rhythm. I just need to practice more frequently. Like at least once a week for the next few months.

But I did go with Big Dots because I wanted a true combat sight I could pickup quickly under stress. They certainly fit the bill during daylight and low light. The tritium dot is pretty small in pitch black.

20141120_171631_zpsfbfdmejd.jpg

20141120_170942_zpsjdi5ofqy.jpg

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Must be Trijicons, just sent a baby Glock back to Trijicon Inc (Wixom MI), for new lamps. The old ones were put on in 2003, so after eleven years, they still glow to find the Glock at night, but time for a re fresh.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The Trijicon HD's are nice, but I like the Ameriglo CAP front sight better. It's the same as the HD, but square vs. round - and they are much less expensive
    I prefer a square front and square rear notch rear.
    My G19 sports a Novak square notch 2 dot rear sight and a Ameriglo CAP (yellow) front sight and it has a very nice and easy to acquire sight picture.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have night sights on most of my Glocks. I have 2 sets of the OEM Night sights and in the dark, I cannot tell a difference between the OEM sights and the Trijicon HD night sights. In the daylight is when the Trijicon HD's best the OEM sights with the orange ring around the front sight. That said. a bottle of Testor's orange paint will do a whole lot of front sights.
    Ebay has Glock OEM sights for $75, and Trijicon HD for around $135. I have used Glock OEM, Aro-Tek, Meprolight, Trijicon, and Novaks. All great sights. Aro-tek is my favorite, they are the easiest to install and adjust. You don't need a sight pusher to put them in.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Another for the TruGlo TFO's - bright in both night and day.

Until the FO breaks.

I like the concept of TFO's, but the durability is not there. I'm also not a fan of the profile when it comes to one-handed manipulations. They tend to slip off of your belt/pocket more than some of the other options.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have night sights on most of my Glocks. I have 2 sets of the OEM Night sights and in the dark, I cannot tell a difference between the OEM sights and the Trijicon HD night sights. In the daylight is when the Trijicon HD's best the OEM sights with the orange ring around the front sight. That said. a bottle of Testor's orange paint will do a whole lot of front sights.
    Ebay has Glock OEM sights for $75, and Trijicon HD for around $135. I have used Glock OEM, Aro-Tek, Meprolight, Trijicon, and Novaks. All great sights. Aro-tek is my favorite, they are the easiest to install and adjust. You don't need a sight pusher to put them in.

If you want Glock OEM for cheaper than Ebay, then go here: https://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=GLOCK-NSXXXX $57 + shipping.

GT is good to go. They run coupons, etc from time to time.

That said, I still like my Trijicons the best.

rxer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I installed the trijicon 3 dot sight and I found it to be better than the factory glock sights. Haven't tried any others like the HD version which is probably what I'd go with now if I as going to do it again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Most people have not done a significant amount of actual shooting in low light with night sights. I have had the good fortune of doing a significant amount shooting in low light with and without night sights, with and without a white light. Based on my personal experience, here are my opinions:

• Brand and color combinations don't matter too much to me. I've never shot and thought afterward "Gee, I sure liked that sight picture on brand A better than brand B!" Almost all of them work well in dim light.
    • I think "big dot" sights are great . . . on big game rifles. I have no use for them on a pistol and in my opinion, they are a hindrance more than a benefit to good marksmanship.
    • I require a rear sight that I can use to hook on my belt,mag pouch/pocket/trouser seam/any available surface to rack the slide. Novak and other "no snag" profiles are just that . . . no snag. I prefer plenty of snagginess in my rear sight because I might need to snag it on something.
    • With the requirement of being able to snag the rear sight, I base my night sight purchases first on availability and second on price. A distant third would be minor preference in shape, sight picture, front sight width, 3 dot vs something else.
    • If I have the luxury of choosing all the features at the shop where I am getting them installed, I'd specify: 0.090-0.100 inch wide, serrated front sight; bright green tritium capsule with a thin white ring around it in the front; "hooky" rear sight with a subdued green bar on the bottom of a rectangular notch, or tiny, subdued green dots on either side with no white oulines.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Trijicon HD's are nice, but I like the Ameriglo CAP front sight better. It's the same as the HD, but square vs. round - and they are much less expensive
    I prefer a square front and square rear notch rear.
    My G19 sports a Novak square notch 2 dot rear sight and a Ameriglo CAP (yellow) front sight and it has a very nice and easy to acquire sight picture.

I might give a set of these a shot on a G21 I recently bought.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What the heck are you guys doing to your guns?

9-88760.jpg

The FO isn't exposed except for the top of the sight blade. It has steel flanking the sides.
    The FO rod cracks under recoil on the set I had by the end of an 800 round pistol course, the front was totally gone, and one of the rear rods was in two pieces. The instructor said that he had had it happen to some other students in the past as well? As always, YMMV, but it's what happened to me.

Top Bottom