• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vacman2036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Tipton
    I recently read a few articles about the striker control device for Glocks. One article was by Lucky Gunner. The "gadget" as some have called it is not supposed to interfere with the firearm's function at all. It is installed on the rear of the slide and you press your thumb against it while you re-holster. This keeps the gun from a negligent discharge.

Typically you are not in a hurry to re-holster your gun after you have used it at least you should not be. I do observe this on the range occasionally however. I always look the firearm into my holster and keep shirts and the such out of the way on the return. I am never in a hurry to re-holster.

Do any of you or someone you know have experience with an SCD? Have you installed one or have you been thinking about doing so? I am just looking for some input here. There is no right or wrong answer. I think they run about $80 on a Gen 5 model. You can get them for a gen 1-4 for about $26. Have a great day everyone and I look forward to some discussion.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) Many many well known and well-respected people in the industry are high on them. That's good enough for me.

B ) Tau Dev group gave up on them a while ago...

C) Langdon Tactical just announced they're going to be manufacturing and selling them going forward - so stay tuned for availability and pricing.

D ) I'm all for safety and safe re-holstering; especially of a firearm that you cannot hold a hammer down; and especially if carrying centerline or appendix.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I guess I get it. Better safe than sorry and all that, but how prevalent is this problem?

I don't carry Glocks, but do carry a striker fired gun (VP9) and have never felt unsafe reholstering. If I did, I would carry a hammer fired HK P30.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    D ) I'm all for safety and safe re-holstering; especially of a firearm that you cannot hold a hammer down; and especially if carrying centerline or appendix.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I recently acquired a firearm with an actual exposed hammer.
    Is holding the hammer down or back a best practice of reholstering?
    By hammer down I would assume a decocked weapon and hammer back as in a cocked and locked 1911 style weapon.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not to hijack the thread, but I recently acquired a firearm with an actual exposed hammer.
    By hammer down I would assume a decocked weapon and hammer back as in a cocked and locked 1911 style weapon.
    It's common practice with double action / single action (DA/SA) guns. With hammer down (not cocked) the gun is in double action mode so the trigger pull cocks the hammer. Keeping your thumb on it lets you feel if something contacts the trigger and begins the action of cocking it. And the pressure of your thumb prevents the hammer from moving further.

These backplate adaptors for striker fired guns essentially do the same thing. They prevent the striker from moving enough to fire the gun if something were to engage the trigger during reholstering.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Best practice? For almost absolute 100% for sure the hammer isn't coming back when reholstering - probably. Especially for AWIB / Centerline carry.

And if ANYONE scoffs at you for adopting that practice, just be all like "Well Excuuuuuuse me for wanting to be safe, ya dink." and carry on.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    More Glock "Perfection?" :tinfoil:
    So by that logic, any aftermarket part being produced calls any firearm into question, just by it's mere existence? (Not saying I do or don't agree with the need for this particular item)

Trying to understand your comment, since this functional discussion would seem to go along with almost any striker fired firearm.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recently read a few articles about the striker control device for Glocks. One article was by Lucky Gunner. The "gadget" as some have called it is not supposed to interfere with the firearm's function at all. It is installed on the rear of the slide and you press your thumb against it while you re-holster. This keeps the gun from a negligent discharge.

Typically you are not in a hurry to re-holster your gun after you have used it at least you should not be. I do observe this on the range occasionally however. I always look the firearm into my holster and keep shirts and the such out of the way on the return. I am never in a hurry to re-holster.

Do any of you or someone you know have experience with an SCD? Have you installed one or have you been thinking about doing so? I am just looking for some input here. There is no right or wrong answer. I think they run about $80 on a Gen 5 model. You can get them for a gen 1-4 for about $26. Have a great day everyone and I look forward to some discussion.

If you are paying $26 you are buying a counterfeit copy made of chinesium. The legit version was sold by Tau Development Group and now by Langdon Tactical.

You are never in a hurry to holster until you are. I've had to 'speed holster' a few times due to changing dynamics were a possible shoot turned into a definite no shoot but a physical altercation was still imminent.

I have one on all of my Glocks except my duty gun, which I can't modify and therefore don't carry except at in-service. I would not carry a Glock appendix without one. I'm less concerned with OWB carry without one. It's a simple risk/reward equation. My odds of shooting myself in the dick are slim but not 0%. I recognize I am not infallible. Using an SCD allows me to further minimize that risk, and given the possible outcomes of shooting myself in the dick I like that minimization. I will not put a gun appendix that doesn't have an external hammer or functional equivalent, but others can draw the risk/reward line where they like.

vacman2036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Tipton
    If you are paying $26 you are buying a counterfeit copy made of chinesium. The legit version was sold by Tau Development Group and now by Langdon Tactical.

You are never in a hurry to holster until you are. I've had to 'speed holster' a few times due to changing dynamics were a possible shoot turned into a definite no shoot but a physical altercation was still imminent.

I have one on all of my Glocks except my duty gun, which I can't modify and therefore don't carry except at in-service. I would not carry a Glock appendix without one. I'm less concerned with OWB carry without one. It's a simple risk/reward equation. My odds of shooting myself in the dick are slim but not 0%. I recognize I am not infallible. Using an SCD allows me to further minimize that risk, and given the possible outcomes of shooting myself in the dick I like that minimization. I will not put a gun appendix that doesn't have an external hammer or functional equivalent, but others can draw the risk/reward line where they like.
    I am not against spending the $80 to be safer. I would never put a price on safety. I think you make some valid points here. Thanks for your input.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't have a Glock so forgive my ignorance but without one of these items holding your thumb on the back of the factory one while holstering doesn't do any good, right? I mean, you wouldn't feel the trigger being engaged or prevent a ND, right?

vacman2036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Tipton
    I don't have a Glock so forgive my ignorance but without one of these items holding your thumb on the back of the factory one while holstering doesn't do any good, right? I mean, you wouldn't feel the trigger being engaged or prevent a ND, right?
    Correct, the piece on the rear slide plate is stationary now from the factory. The picture below has the SCD installed.

Attachments

• img_0784.jpg
      img_0784.jpg
      483.4 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ask because I was reading the other about how some say it's a safe practice while reholstering to put your thumb on back of the slide/hammer. I was thinking that on my M&P I really don't gain anything.

I wonder if they make one for the M&P. I know the design is different between a Glock and the Smith so it may not even be possible.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    So by that logic, any aftermarket part being produced calls any firearm into question, just by it's mere existence? (Not saying I do or don't agree with the need for this particular item)

Trying to understand your comment, since this functional discussion would seem to go along with almost any striker fired firearm.
    Some are "go fast" parts, some are not. Yes, it will likely be made for all striker fired pistols, its just Glock has the market share so it gets made for it first. I've had many Glocks, but I won't own another. I know people love them, just not me.

Last edited:

vacman2036

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Tipton
    I ask because I was reading the other about how some say it's a safe practice while reholstering to put your thumb on back of the slide/hammer. I was thinking that on my M&P I really don't gain anything.

I wonder if they make one for the M&P. I know the design is different between a Glock and the Smith so it may not even be possible
    My understanding is that they only make them for the Glocks. I have not seen them for any other firearms. I have not looked for them for anything else to be open. Maybe they do but I have not seen them anywhere.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I wonder if they make one for the M&P. I know the design is different between a Glock and the Smith so it may not even be possible.

With a hammer, you gain the safety of making it much harder to pull the trigger accidentally should it become obstructed. Without a hammer all you gain is keeping the gun in battery during holstering, something that is not much of a concern with a properly fitted holster. If you are using a smedium leather universal or some other subpar option, maybe more of a concern.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Glock only, but hypotheticals exist for some other options to be developed.

Top Bottom