• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    That was pretty apparent. Just was trying to understand how your comment really pertained to this thread topic.
    Lol, come on dude, everyone says that in every Glock thread basically. They're so perfect people spend thousands on aftermarket parts. Again, a common saying, but... I need to be cancelled for telling jokes. We need a 10 commandments for Glock I think, could be hilarious. Charlton Heston coming down from the mountain type meme.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lol, come on dude, everyone says that in every Glock thread basically. They're so perfect people spend thousands on aftermarket parts. Again, a common saying, but... I need to be cancelled for telling jokes. We need a 10 commandments for Glock I think, could be hilarious. Charlton Heston coming down from the mountain type meme.
    I don't even EDC Glocks anymore. It just gets kind of old when someone comes into a thread drops a bash and nothing more no matter if it's Glock, 1911, or whatever. It's one thing to criticize in a meaningful way, just gets old when all it is, is a bash with no substance.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Some are "go fast" parts, some are not. Yes, it will likely be made for all striker fired pistols, its just Glock has the market share so it gets made for it first. I've had many Glocks, but I won't own another. I know people love them, just not me.
    The Glock striker is not fully "cocked". The trigger bar finishes drawing the striker back and releases it. This is what the "gadget" senses and if your thumb in on the hinged slide cover plate you can feel or prevent the striker from being released. The fact that the striker is not fully cocked is one of the safeties.. If I'm not mistaken a S&W M&P striker is completely cocked when released by the trigger so this type gadget would not serve as a safety for the M&P. It theory if the striker falls from it's normal position there won't be enough energy to fire a cartridge. Many striker fired pistols start with the striker fully cocked and the trigger bar does nothing but release the striker so this type of gadget would be of no value.. I carry a Glock every day and I don't feel the need for this item. I see any altering of the design as a possible failure point.. I was taught draw quickly and re-holster CAREFULLY. I understand BBIs concern from a law enforcement standpoint.. There may be a time where reholstering quickly may be necessary for a police officer but from a civilian standpoint I don't see a situation where I might need to go hands on with someone after I have drawn my pistol. To each his own, be safe and train regularly.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, this is by far not the worst gadget Ive ever seen. I could take it or leave it.

This is probably one of the worst. (holster for carrying without one in the pipe)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Yeah, this is by far not the worst gadget Ive ever seen. I could take it or leave it.

This is probably one of the worst. (holster for carrying without one in the pipe)

Exactly right, If you are terrified carrying with a round in the chamber get a pistol with a design that makes you comfortable with a round in the chamber and as always, train.
    Speaking of training, I wonder how long the guy trained to be so adept at using that Rube Goldberg holster :lmfao:intuitive is the last word I would use to describe that rig.

For those of you too young to understand the reference.

"Goldberg is best known for his popular cartoons depicting complicated gadgets performing simple tasks in indirect, convoluted ways."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry a Glock every day and I don't feel the need for this item. I see any altering of the design as a possible failure point.. I was taught draw quickly and re-holster CAREFULLY.

We know each other, so I hope you take this in the light we routinely discuss things. How many of your Glocks are actually stock? No trigger work, no aftermarket parts, no frame modifications, etc? Why do you feel comfortable altering the design in those ways but not changing a slide cover plate?

In what way could the SCD cause a malfunction or reduced reliability of the pistol? https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/dont-glock-yourself-a-review-of-the-striker-control-device/ has some good info for those who aren't sure how it functions. Even if it breaks, it won't tie the gun up and there's no springs/etc to jam. Without your thumb on it, it's a standard back plate. The hinge swings freely enough it opens with gravity only if you hold the gun muzzle up.

We are all taught a lot of things. We are taught to drive safely but still occasionally crash our cars. We occasionally injure ourselves while doing lots of mundane tasks due to an error, just typically with minimal injury so we ignore them. A wrench slips and we bust a nuckle. We catch a toe under a rug and tweak a knee stumbling (shut up youngsters, you'll do it to one day). None of us are perfect and all of us will eventaully have some instances were we are distracted, tired, injured, reacting to survival stress, etc. While the odds are low, they are never zero, and especially if you carry appendix the cost of a mistake is pretty severe. That doesn't make the SCD necessary, it just means we have one more thing between us and serious injury should we make a mistake. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but vague references to reduced reliability cloud the conversation for those who are trying to make up their mind.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    B ) Tau Dev group gave up on them a while ago...

The owner has a very very busy life for reasons that aren't relevant. I would nto say he gave up on them, I would say he made other aspects of his life a higher priority. He intentionally allowed the patent to expire so that it would be open source. He provided schematics and manufacturing contacts to other interested parties. In other words, he not only let anyone who wanted to build one have the legal right to do so, he actively assisted other parties (perhaps to include one that is currently making them...) with a turn-key solution to do so.

He could have sat on the patent or charged for it, but he felt strongly enough about the product to let others take it over when he couldn't dedicate the necesssary time. He is a very generous and concientous man. My most expensive watch, by far, is a gift from him, for 'compensation' for something that was no big deal at all for me to do.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    We know each other, so I hope you take this in the light we routinely discuss things. How many of your Glocks are actually stock? No trigger work, no aftermarket parts, no frame modifications, etc? Why do you feel comfortable altering the design in those ways but not changing a slide cover plate?

In what way could the SCD cause a malfunction or reduced reliability of the pistol? https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/dont-glock-yourself-a-review-of-the-striker-control-device/ has some good info for those who aren't sure how it functions. Even if it breaks, it won't tie the gun up and there's no springs/etc to jam. Without your thumb on it, it's a standard back plate. The hinge swings freely enough it opens with gravity only if you hold the gun muzzle up.

We are all taught a lot of things. We are taught to drive safely but still occasionally crash our cars. We occasionally injure ourselves while doing lots of mundane tasks due to an error, just typically with minimal injury so we ignore them. A wrench slips and we bust a nuckle. We catch a toe under a rug and tweak a knee stumbling (shut up youngsters, you'll do it to one day). None of us are perfect and all of us will eventaully have some instances were we are distracted, tired, injured, reacting to survival stress, etc. While the odds are low, they are never zero, and especially if you carry appendix the cost of a mistake is pretty severe. That doesn't make the SCD necessary, it just means we have one more thing between us and serious injury should we make a mistake. If you don't want one, don't buy one, but vague references to reduced reliability cloud the conversation for those who are trying to make up their mind.
    I don't envision ever having a problem with you brother:) and I'll do my best to answer your questions.. To answer your first question neither of the 2 Glocks I generally carry are as they were manufactured. I do have one pistol that I carry on specific occasions, that I won't discuss here that is as it left the manufacturer but it's not a Glock. :).
    Instruction I received from you and Coach is where "holster carefully" was drilled into my gun handling and it was greatly appreciated. To answer your question about the gadget ,only possible problem I see is the possibility of debris somehow making it's way into the fire control area of the gun. The possibilities of that are admittedly very small (probably less than me being in a gunfight) but it's a possibility I personally choose to avoid. I am always cautious about any mods I make in the fire control area and I don't feel the reward is worth the risk for me personally. Putting my thumb on the cover plate is not part of my reholstering routine and if I'm in a rush probably something I would forget to do without a lot of training.
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the gadget and as Coach would say " I'm not a Democrat, people can do what they want as long as it doesn't affect me". I didn't say don't buy one and my comment wasn't meant to discourage anyone, sorry if it came off that way.
    Where the things we are taught are concerned, I've made all those mistakes and more and I'm capable of making them again. My thinking on re-holstering is KISS, pay attention, take my time and be careful. Just like basic gun safety, If you remember one rule, always treat a gun like it's loaded and the rest of the rules will take care of themselves. I'm getting old and I'm simple, too many things to think about and I'll screw it up. :)
    I was speaking in general terms when I was talking about mods.. What I do on my guns I'm comfortable with and I am betting my life that I'm right in that respect..
    In spite of what some might think Glocks are NOT perfection but they are an extremely durable and reliable tool. I don't have issue with those that look the part over and call it good to go, but I don't see $100 of value there for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I'm not pointing the gun at myself, why do I need the gadget?

If I am pointing the gun at myself, shouldn't that be addressed?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To answer your question about the gadget ,only possible problem I see is the possibility of debris somehow making it's way into the fire control area of the gun.

Have you seen one? There's no gap that isn't present with the OEM plate regardless of it's "open" or "closed". The underside keeps everything sealed. If we get together next Friday I'll try and remember to bring an uninstalled one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I'm not pointing the gun at myself, why do I need the gadget?

If I am pointing the gun at myself, shouldn't that be addressed?

You don't.

Yes.

However things happen. I never plan for everything to go right, for me to execute everything perfectly every time, and I mitigate both the chances and consequences of human and machine error as best as I reasonably can. I want a gun that's harder to shoot when I don't want to shoot just as much as I want a gun that is easy to shoot when I want it to shoot. If you're infallible, no need to do so.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... In what way could the SCD cause a malfunction or reduced reliability of the pistol? ...

The situation that comes to my mind is having to make a contact shot, and having one's hand on the back of the slide to keep it from getting pushed out of battery.

Would that cause the gun to NOT fire if the SCD were installed? Seems like it would just based on what I've read, but I haven't seen or used one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The situation that comes to my mind is having to make a contact shot, and having one's hand on the back of the slide to keep it from getting pushed out of battery.

Would that cause the gun to NOT fire if the SCD were installed? Seems like it would just based on what I've read, but I haven't seen or used one.
    If you're in a fight that requires a contact shot, are you really going to remember to put your thumb on the back of the slide to prevent it from going out of battery? And unless the person being shot is really squishy, allowing the barrel to be pushed into them while pushing back the slide enough for it to go out of battery seems pretty unlikely. Not saying it couldn't happen but I would think it would be exceedingly rare. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you're in a fight that requires a contact shot, are you really going to remember to put your thumb on the back of the slide to prevent it from going out of battery?...

A lot of us were trained to do just that, if you didn't have the option to use your support hand for the same. Then after the shot, rack the slide instinctively with whatever you can. Rinse, repeat...

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My Walther PPS M2 has a striker indicator built into the slide plate. While re-holstering it will alert you to the trigger being depressed. Simply keep your thumb on the pin and it will protrude into your thumb if something causes the the trigger to depress.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It would if your thumb was on it and pushing harder than your trigger finger was pulling. However pushing the gun out of battery for a contact shot is kind of a non-issue. It's harder than you think to push it out of battery against squishy bits of the body. I would point out that Craig Douglas of Shivworks, a pretty well respected ECQC instructor, was an alpha tester of the gadget and put it through multiple ECQC evolutions of force on force without issue.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A lot of us were trained to do just that, if you didn't have the option to use your support hand for the same. Then after the shot, rack the slide instinctively with whatever you can. Rinse, repeat...

Right, it's a technique that's being trained out there.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Craig Douglas of Shivworks, a pretty well respected ECQC instructor, was an alpha tester of the gadget and put it through multiple ECQC evolutions of force on force without issue.

It's great to know the SCD has been pressure tested.

Just FWIW, I only brought this up because you asked! I put the SCD together with technique of holding the slide forward for a contact shot, and presto! :)

It's definitely out there on the unlikely probability tail of events that are themselves already unlikely.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What will happen if you try to shoot your Glock under water with this device? Probably won't shoot anyway because of the hydraulic pressure on the striker and a shark will eat me. There's a fix for that though. :)

This device makes me lose sleep at night thinking of all the possibilities that might happen. :nailbite: I could go to jail for modifying my Glock. I could suddenly forget how to handle a firearm. I could shoot myself. I could get killed by someone else in a CQC situation. I could get killed because a piece of lint got stuck in the device rendering it inoperable while I'm in a gunfight. Arrrgh!!!! :runaway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom