• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I don't carry Glocks, but do carry a striker fired gun (VP9) and have never felt unsafe reholstering. If I did, I would carry a hammer fired HK P30.
    The double action first round (deliberate 9# trigger pull) is why I DO carry a P30L. Also, triggers can get caught on things accidentally and the extra travel before ND is why I like DA first shot hammer guns.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    I guess I get it. Better safe than sorry and all that, but how prevalent is this problem?

I don't carry Glocks, but do carry a striker fired gun (VP9) and have never felt unsafe reholstering. If I did, I would carry a hammer fired HK P30.
    I don't shoot the hk (P2k) as fast as I shoot my glocks. I almost had a ND with my P2k LEM. loved that my hammer notified me that my jacket drawstring went into my holster. Seattle PD has had several NDs on their glocks at their training range from either mistraining or jacket drawstrings. That was enough that I put TAU SCDs on my two main glocks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have one on all of my Glocks except my duty gun, which I can't modify and therefore don't carry except at in-service. I would not carry a Glock appendix without one. I'm less concerned with OWB carry without one. It's a simple risk/reward equation. My odds of shooting myself in the dick are slim but not 0%. I recognize I am not infallible. Using an SCD allows me to further minimize that risk, and given the possible outcomes of shooting myself in the dick I like that minimization. I will not put a gun appendix that doesn't have an external hammer or functional equivalent, but others can draw the risk/reward line where they like.

So this recently came across my desk, stripped of any context or identifiers:

when he was removing it, he accidently shot himself in the scrotum

I'm not going to say it takes balls to admit to that sort of mistake, but there can be a wrinkle in even the best laid plans. A gun going off in your pants can be a pretty hairy situation, but he kept his head.

Seriously, be careful handling pocket carry, crotch carry, etc. guns when moving them. Proper holster, proper technique, proper hardware. Nothing eliminates the risk to 0%, but each moves the needle closer to that end of the spectrum.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is the first I've heard of this device. I've never been concerned about my gun going off when holstering, and I do put my thumb over the back plate when I holster just because that's naturally where my thumb goes. This seems like a cool device though. I don't see any drawbacks to it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Since we're revisiting this I am curious about something. I've never seen one of these gadgets but I don't understand why you would need a different model for different generation glocks? Cover plates are interchangeable other than the Gen 5 has a little wider notch on the left side of the plate.. I would like to look at one and possibly the next time I get together with BBIs I'll try to remember to request him to bring one along.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You really need a manual safety and a grip safety !

I know you're joking, but no.

The difference is the SCD basically lets the Glock have the safety benefit of an external hammer. Hold it down with your thumb when you are holstering and its much harder to touch it off accidentally, but you still have no manual safeties to manipulate to fire (or to get your grip right with) on the draw.

Basically, it mimics the benefits of a revolver. Still point - n -shoot, but harder to shoot yourself in the dick with by thumbing the hammer when appropriate.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    It makes sense I have witnessed a few videos where John blows his bits off.
    Drawstring‘s are the devil!
    I am still am extremely careful with striker fired pistols. I guess it’s phycological from carrying a DA/SA.

My EDC’s rarely are taken out of the holsters and I keep them loaded. Just take it off and put in the safe and forget it.

I wonder why this is not a common item on Policemen, Woman, ?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

In no particular order:

Glock is Glock. Glock armorers aren't supposed to install non-Glock parts. Glock sends police to armorer school gratis as part of the Glock purchase package.

Duty holsters vs appendix/pocket carry differences.

Not widely known product.

Cost money.

Nobody's brother in law gets a cut of the money.

Some admin guy looking to boost his career didn't think of it first.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It makes sense I have witnessed a few videos where John blows his bits off.
    Drawstring‘s are the devil!
    I am still am extremely careful with striker fired pistols. I guess it’s phycological from carrying a DA/SA.

My EDC’s rarely are taken out of the holsters and I keep them loaded. Just take it off and put in the safe and forget it.

Guessing due to concerns with aftermarket part introduced into internals of duty firearm, and any liability, etc associated

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since we're revisiting this I am curious about something. I've never seen one of these gadgets but I don't understand why you would need a different model for different generation glocks? Cover plates are interchangeable other than the Gen 5 has a little wider notch on the left side of the plate.. I would like to look at one and possibly the next time I get together with BBIs I'll try to remember to request him to bring one along.

You know more about Glock guts than I do, but IIRC it's a difference in thickness. Maybe some small change in where the plate sits vs the rearward travel limit of the striker? If I ever knew why, I've forgotten.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I do wish there was an equivalent for M&Ps.
    I'll answer my own question.

Glock's have a partially pre-tensioned striker, and thus there is rearward movement of the FCG during firing to activate the SCD. (the reason for the spongy awful trigger)

M&Ps have a fully pre-tensioned stricker and the rotating sear just releases the striker. Nothing moves farther aft to force an SCD to extend.

At least that is what my research so far has found.

Top Bottom