• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    See the secret is that if non-communists lose a job, we have to live on $340 a week unemployment. If you're a member of the thugocracy then you get 90% of your wages and you're on a list to get moved someplace else. So they voted to take a 10% rather than a 50% pay cut. Simple math.

Sub-pay only lasts so long. It is a set number of weeks for an entire contract. Many UAW members have already used up weeks during other layoffs. The number of weeks depends upon your time with the company.

Unlike the deals of the past, where the UAW members had a job bank and were guaranteed employment through the length of the contract, layoffs now that go beyond sub-benefits put them in the same boat as everyone else.
    The UAW are not the only employees who have this benefit. Some non-union companies offer this as well.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    THe title should read: GM plant sold, new owners generously offered GM employees a job.

There are no new owners.
    The deal was they would buy if the employees agreed to the wages and benefits cuts.
    If the other company wanted it bad enough they could have bought it and hired new workers at the rate they were willing to pay and the City still could of had jobs and a tax base.

Maybe the title should be "Potential buyers of GM's Indy stamping plant bail after UAW workers reject thier offer" :dunno:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    There are no new owners.
    The deal was they would buy if the employees agreed to the wages and benefits cuts.
    If the other company wanted it bad enough they could have bought it and hired new workers at the rate they were willing to pay and the City still could of had jobs and a tax base.

Maybe the title should be "Potential buyers of GM's Indy stamping plant bail after UAW workers reject thier offer" :dunno:

Didn't this happen in New Castle a few years back?? Chrysler closed then Metaldyne opened up and hired new people to do the same job for half the wages??

Hopefully someone can elaborate

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    JD Norman wanted to cut starting wages from $29/hr. to @15.50. These are starting wages and no indicator of what a guy would make there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    GM has wanted to close GM truck and bus in indy for well over the last 15 years. they finaly got away with it. GM is a company that bailed on America by opening plants in Mexico years ago and taking away American Jobs. I dont have sympathy for GM nor any union. I do have sympathy for the American worker that WORKS for a living. But I dont have any sympathy for the worthless worker who knows he will have a job no matter how much he slacks off because the union will protect him. I know people who worked at that plant. I also know of people who got a job there just because of skin color and thats not right. some cant even read a tape measure yet they work with lathes and machinery that required a knowledge they didnt have, but kept a job anyways. not right.

Every union member that worked there had a chance to vote, so if they wanna give up their own job then let them. I think some have the chance to relocate to fort wayne or other GM plants. see yah.

I firmly believe if you agree to a wage then you need to earn your keep or get fired. its a form of honesty and respect for your employer in my opinion. If you dont do what an employer needs then he should be free to fire you and get someone who will be productive. I hate slackers

Last edited:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    GM has wanted to close GM truck and bus in indy for well over the last 15 years. they finaly got away with it. GM is a company that bailed on America by opening plants in Mexico years ago and taking away American Jobs. I dont have sympathy for GM nor any union. I do have sympathy for the American worker that WORKS for a living. But I dont have any sympathy for the worthless worker who knows he will have a job no matter how much he slacks off because the union will protect him. I know people who worked at that plant. I also know of people who got a job there just because of skin color and thats not right. some cant even read a tape measure yet they work with lathes and machinery that required a knowledge they didnt have, but kept a job anyways. not right.

Every union member that worked there had a chance to vote, so if they wanna give up their own job then let them. I think some have the chance to relocate to fort wayne or other GM plants. see yah.

Yeah sure. Send more of thse useless pukes up here. :)

The issue is they didn't just give up their jobs. They killed a deal that would have kept jobs in Indianapolis. They would have been lower paying jobs, but low paying in this economy is better than no paying.

That sounds right now that I think about it.

It makes me wonder if the closing of the Indy stamping plant is inevitible no matter who owns it:dunno:

It is if your employees tell you they have no interest in your success.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I have been following this as well. A sad day indeed.
    I failed to notice the grocery stores offering to cut these families bill in half,
    I failed to notice the utility companies offering to cut their bills in half,
    I missed the article offering a them lower property taxes on their current homes provided they continued to work for half the wage.

I won't be a slave to any employer, cut my wages in half,
    give me two checks and a road map.

This is why it is smart to make sure your monthly payments are war below your income. Most of the workers probably have mortgage/car/boat/credit card payments that are half of their monthly income. They can't afford to maintain their current lifestyles with a pay cut.

Good luck to them trying to find a job that lets them keep "Living the American Dream." Keep on consuming!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I think some have the chance to relocate to fort wayne or other GM plants. see yah.

Fort Wayne is already running 3 shifts, so I doubt many will go there. People have flooded into FW from all over the country.
    I think there will be layoffs there, because I don't see the third shift lasting much longer.
    More plants have closed and there are not many places left to go.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The true irony here is that the federal government owns 61% of GM. The second largest shareholder of GM is the UAW at 17.5%. Put that in your pipe and smoke it during lunch in the park.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The way I see this is that the majority of those who voted took the approach of a child saying "If I can't have it nobody can". If they want to put themselves out of a job, fine. Just don't come crying to me because I've been on a pay cut for over a year now, but we didn't complain because at least we still had a job.

I don't blaim anyone for wanting to make a better life for themselves or their family, but at some point we have to pull our heads out of our rear and look around. Sometimes where we're at is as good as it's going to get.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The way I see this is that the majority of those who voted took the approach of a child saying "If I can't have it nobody can". If they want to put themselves out of a job, fine. Just don't come crying to me because I've been on a pay cut for over a year now, but we didn't complain because at least we still had a job.

I don't blaim anyone for wanting to make a better life for themselves or their family, but at some point we have to pull our heads out of our rear and look around. Sometimes where we're at is as good as it's going to get.

yep. its hard for me to fathom that any American worth their salt would turn down a chance to work, and choose to be unemployed, and basicly thats what they did.

Top Bottom