• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-of-Scotland

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You mention a split, but I'm curious as to how that split falls. I've heard from plenty of "news" sources that Scotland getting enough votes to be freed was unlikely owing to the heavy influence of the welfare vote, though the pundits couldn't seem to agree as to whether it was young, old, rich, poor etc. who were the primary beneficiaries. The main point was that Scotland would have had a very rough time attempting to survive without the funds from the overall UK owing to the high level of welfare payments to your region. Was that just smoke and mirrors games for those of us living in the USA or is there some truth to it?

Smoke and mirrors really. Most of the older generation wanted to remain in the UK as it's what they had known their entire lives plus the politicians in the better together campaign used fear tactics to manipulate them. The older folk rely on newspapers and TV to get their news and facts. All of the major newspapers are owned by a few groups and all had a vested interest in keeping the union. The politicians repeatedly told everyone that pensioners would be left penniless and homeless under an independent Scotland and the state broadcaster (BBC) made sure to hammer that message home as well as outright lies about the currency saying that Scotland would not keep the £ sterling. That decison isn't theirs to make as the £ sterling is an internationally tradable currency we can choose to use it if we wish. We could have used Yen, USD, AUD or rubles if we wanted to.

The split is generally down an age line but even within the younger generation there is a clear split along religious and political lines with most protestants being unionist/loyalists and most Catholics being Anti-union/Republican due to an ongoing issue with Northern Ireland. People just following the crowd really. It's a centuries old rivalry of bigotry and hatred and knowing these people I wouldn't put it past them to turn on their own country just to spite their enemies.

Scotland is considered a "region" of the UK like Yorkshire or Sussex so in that respect Scotland receives more in welfare than any other region but it needs to be remembered that Scotland is an entire country plus Islands not just a few square miles of lands like other regions.

Scotland has control over about 1% of it's entire generated revenue I think with the rest being controlled by Westminster and when it comes down to the simple figures we give much more to the UK than we receive. We're the only Oil producing nation in the world with over a third of it's population in abject poverty and that's because our finances are controlled by a people who despise us. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. That's all that's left of the British Empire, they have no intention of letting us go. Surely if Scotland was a drain on them they'd be happy to see us go? Maybe they'd miss all the oil, whisky and tourism money we pump into their economy to keep them afloat,who knows eh?

Smoke, mirrors and lies all peddled to generate fear and uncertainty in politically unaware voters. Before the pro union campaign settled on an official name of "Better Together" they referred to their agenda and activities as "operation fear". Tells you something doesn't it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Smoke and mirrors really. Most of the older generation wanted to remain in the UK as it's what they had known their entire lives plus the politicians in the better together campaign used fear tactics to manipulate them. The older folk rely on newspapers and TV to get their news and facts. All of the major newspapers are owned by a few groups and all had a vested interest in keeping the union. The politicians repeatedly told everyone that pensioners would be left penniless and homeless under an independent Scotland and the state broadcaster (BBC) made sure to hammer that message home as well as outright lies about the currency saying that Scotland would not keep the £ sterling. That decison isn't theirs to make as the £ sterling is an internationally tradable currency we can choose to use it if we wish. We could have used Yen, USD, AUD or rubles if we wanted to.

The split is generally down an age line but even within the younger generation there is a clear split along religious and political lines with most protestants being unionist/loyalists and most Catholics being Anti-union/Republican due to an ongoing issue with Northern Ireland. People just following the crowd really. It's a centuries old rivalry of bigotry and hatred and knowing these people I wouldn't put it past them to turn on their own country just to spite their enemies.

Scotland is considered a "region" of the UK like Yorkshire or Sussex so in that respect Scotland receives more in welfare than any other region but it needs to be remembered that Scotland is an entire country plus Islands not just a few square miles of lands like other regions.

Scotland has control over about 1% of it's entire generated revenue I think with the rest being controlled by Westminster and when it comes down to the simple figures we give much more to the UK than we receive. We're the only Oil producing nation in the world with over a third of it's population in abject poverty and that's because our finances are controlled by a people who despise us. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. That's all that's left of the British Empire, they have no intention of letting us go. Surely if Scotland was a drain on them they'd be happy to see us go? Maybe they'd miss all the oil, whisky and tourism money we pump into their economy to keep them afloat,who knows eh?

Smoke, mirrors and lies all peddled to generate fear and uncertainty in politically unaware voters. Before the pro union campaign settled on an official name of "Better Together" they referred to their agenda and activities as "operation fear". Tells you something doesn't it.

Mark, I'm going to show my ignorance here but since I subscribe to the theory if you don't ask, you'll never know, I'm going to risk it anyway... Is Scotland subject to the same gun laws as the folks in England are? Do you own any firearms yourself?

Mark-of-Scotland

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mark, I'm going to show my ignorance here but since I subscribe to the theory if you don't ask, you'll never know, I'm going to risk it anyway... Is Scotland subject to the same gun laws as the folks in England are? Do you own any firearms yourself?

Scotland is indeed subject to the same laws as England.
    I don't own any firearms as my membership of an "unpopular" (read anti-government) political party has ensured I'll forever be treated by the UK as a threat to the government. Fun eh?

I spoke to you about this two years ago when I first joined this forum actually.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nt/250395-possiblity-new-firearms-act-uk.html

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hope this will not be the last we hear of secession...be it in Scotland or elsewhere.
    dude, you're really hung up on that aren't you? You make it seel like sucession for the sake of sucession is what matters. What if the suceeders are led by a group of greedy aristocrats and dupe the people into going along with it, when sucession would not improve individual liberty?

It sounds like the will and best interest of most in Scotland was thwarted. But that's not necessarily all cases where a group might want to succeed.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    dude, you're really hung up on that aren't you? You make it seel like sucession for the sake of sucession is what matters.

I have not claimed that.

I do think it healthy, however, that matter is getting more consideration. The article is worth the read.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Sometimes it requires the yammering of a tireless minority to keep pushing an issue for long enough to produce results.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Periodic threats of secession will be useful to Scotland for political purposes, plus no doubt there are still those who believe and hope, so it will pop up from time to time. Quebec used it to punch above their weight within the Canadian political system as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, they will continue to use the threat to solidify Scotland's freedom....from having to pay for its own social programs.

Why do you hate Liberty?

tesco_2144957a_2242446c.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yes, they will continue to use the threat to solidify Scotland's freedom....from having to pay for its own social programs.

Seems like the "freedom from paying for its own programs" is what the pro-UK side wants, no? Secession puts a stop to that, and would be fairer for all sides.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey look it's been a year and we've still not got any new powers.
    Oh wait we can write our own road signs now...

I really need to be more active on here, politics is taking up too much of my time haha
    It don't matter where you live. The people who have the power always figure out how to keep it.

Top Bottom