• ...and so much more!
  • TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone make a lever action in .45 acp?
    Imagine… 20” barrel side gate, brass receiver with a hexagon barrel.
    Talk about fun! Load on Monday and shoot till Sunday!!!
    I think Henry has some work to do!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don't think anyone does, due to the issue of standard round nose 45acp being unsafe to feed through a tubular magazine.

Several 45LC options out there, though.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think anyone does, due to the issue of standard round nose 45acp being unsafe to feed through a tubular magazine.

Several 45LC options out there, though.
    I thought about that.
    I’ve ran .38 Spl ball rounds through my Henry Bigboy without issue.
    I don’t know if it would be that risky with a fat old 230 gr ball round.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    More recoil and inertia with heavier .45s....I don't think a commercial manufacturer could be convinced to saddle themselves with the liability. However, a custom build, loaded with round-nose flat-point handloads...that would be quite the thing! I imagine there might be some difficulty designing a tube mag to properly feed non-rimmed cases, but once that's overcome it would be an awesome gun! I've heard of that exact conversion being done with 1873s, so I know it's possible...just very expensive.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Does anyone make a lever action in .45 acp?
    Imagine… 20” barrel side gate, brass receiver with a hexagon barrel.
    Talk about fun! Load on Monday and shoot till Sunday!!!
    I think Henry has some work to do!
    Levers work best with rounds that have rims. The old rest on rim or rests on shoulder issues.

The major exception I see is 35 rem and i have one in my collection that would sometimes have a light primer strike because the round rest on the shoulder and marlin made the chamber a bit long. I use fireformed cases in that 336sc and solves the issue and I knew that when I purchased that marlin. Got it for a very good price because it went click instead of bang when the owner was hunting. I handload for 35 rem so no big deal. Savage and browning make levers that use autorimmed rounds. So it is very doable as is everything

can it be done yes. Most not be worth in over a blow back auto of we would see a 9mm lever first for cost savings. Henry most likely looked into it when they made the homesteader 9mm. I think you will see a 40 or 45 cal homesteader before a 45 acp lever action.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've heard of it being done by a Wild Bunch shooter, I'm sure, to match ammo. I'm going to go search the Forum.

EDIT: Found a mention of Cody Connager at The Cowboy Shop doing the work on a 73 conversion.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If you aren’t set of 45 acp and are looking for something fun with higher capacity, again, just for fun, there is the .45 cowboy special. Basically an acp length case with the colt sized rim. Far s I know, it’s a handloading only type of deal and I’m not sure how it would function in lever guns. I’ve shot a good bit of l45 Schofield in various lever guns over the years but that much shorter of a case might be too much.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    POF makes a lever 9mm that uses mags, probably a .45 acp might be in the future, if they get the bugs out of the 9mm....

Top Bottom