• patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    ^^^THIS^^^

Don't let his dumbassery drag you down. If he was any kind of friend, he wouldn't put you in this position. It's a big crap sandwich and you're going to have to a bite one way or another.

If he doesn't have any money a judgement doesn't do a bit of good. What does the damage amount to? $1800 or so? Ask the landlord for a payment plan and just take care of it. Write it down to experience. Next time you have a roommate, if there is a next time, write the checks together on the same day every month. Then deliver them to the landlord yourself. At least then he's personally liable for the bounced check.
    I'd be sorely tempted to arrange a fire in his car but I can't advise that as a course of action.:): Was he involved in drugs or dod he loose his job? There were some indications that you missed somewhere that this was coming. It's been 5 months.
    Best of luck finding the looser.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    If he doesn't have any money a judgement doesn't do a bit of good. What does the damage amount to? $1800 or so? Ask the landlord for a payment plan and just take care of it. Write it down to experience. Next time you have a roommate, if there is a next time, write the checks together on the same day every month. Then deliver them to the landlord yourself. At least then he's personally liable for the bounced check.
    I'd be sorely tempted to arrange a fire in his car but I can't advise that as a course of action.:): Was he involved in drugs or dod he loose his job? There were some indications that you missed somewhere that this was coming. It's been 5 months.

Closer to $3000, and unpaid utilities.

And yeah, there were a couple of signs that I missed over the months that are slowly coming to light from other sources. I think I'm done with roommates from here out. I've already secured a lease next year without roommates, so hopefully I can avoid this in the future.

Indy_Guy_77 said:
    OP:

Are you two both college students, perhaps?

Just curious if it's so, then perhaps your roommate isn't wholly emancipated from parents? That MAY be another avenue to recoup your (mounting) loss.

-J-

We are, although he's 25, so I believe he is beyond the age of limitation for emancipation, but I don't know 100% on that.

singlestacksig said:
    you go to court, file case & list his address , tha apartment ..
    If he does not show up in court , you win by default.

I think patience has the right of this. Winning a settlement and a sum that he can't pay either way does me little good.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

He shouldn't just do nothing. Why assume he has no money? Even if he doesn't, the kid (regardless of age, he's a kid based on his actions) is eventually going to have to get a job. More and more employers do back ground & credit checks. Why give up your only real leverage by doing nothing? If he's going to get stuck with the bill, he shouldn't just roll over and take it.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    He shouldn't just do nothing. Why assume he has no money? Even if he doesn't, the kid (regardless of age, he's a kid based on his actions) is eventually going to have to get a job. More and more employers do back ground & credit checks. Why give up your only real leverage by doing nothing? If he's going to get stuck with the bill, he shouldn't just roll over and take it.

So, you suggest that I take him to small claims court, get him to be forced to pay something he can't afford, ruining his credit so he can't get a job to pay me back anyhow, and then be stuck footing the bill regardless?

I'm not sure that's the best solution. Not that I can really think of a better answer, but I really don't feel like tearing apart someone's future on account of one mistake. I've had that happen to me, and I'm finally starting to get on top of it myself. Granted, this comes at an inopportune time for me and I can't quite afford to chalk this up to mistakes, I just don't quite feel "eye for an eye" about everything.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm not sure that's the best solution. Not that I can really think of a better answer, but I really don't feel like tearing apart someone's future on account of one mistake. I've had that happen to me, and I'm finally starting to get on top of it myself. Granted, this comes at an inopportune time for me and I can't quite afford to chalk this up to mistakes, I just don't quite feel "eye for an eye" about everything.

I would agree if he'd come to you and said "hey man I can't afford the rent and I'm behind on other stuff, I hate to do it to you but I can't pay anymore." Unless I misunderstood, it sounds like he just said "eh, too bad." I would try to find him and talk to him, and then decide how to handle it based on his response. I understand that things happen, but not manning up about it and talking to you would lead me to do what others have suggested. :twocents:

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    If there were separate lease contracts, would it then be the responsibility of the landlord to collect?

Also, can someone clarify the ruling on vested interest? I mean, if you invite someone into your home, you can't just boot them out?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    So, you suggest that I take him to small claims court, get him to be forced to pay something he can't afford, ruining his credit so he can't get a job to pay me back anyhow, and then be stuck footing the bill regardless?

He had no problem screwing your future over it. Why would you be willing to let this be a stain on your record?:dunno:

Why not do everything you can to keep from being in a hole as you start your life?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    If there were separate lease contracts, would it then be the responsibility of the landlord to collect?

Also, can someone clarify the ruling on vested interest? I mean, if you invite someone into your home, you can't just boot them out?

yes some landlords write contracts that only hold a person responsible for part of the rent.. they are rare.. most landlords want $x per month income and want to make sure they can collect from someone..

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

Sometimes you get what is coming to you. If he is stiffing me out of 3,000 - 4,000 with rent and utilities I couldn't care less if he ruins his credit and cant get a job. Maybe he should have thought about that before he screwed me over. You are going to have to pay regardless, might as well do what you can to attempt to get something back.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    People need to be held ACCOUNTABLE for THEIR ACTIONS! He CHOSE to stiff you and the landlord thus the concequence of a court ruling and bad credit. I dont know why people feel the need to baby others all the time. Oh he cant pay his rent thats too bad I guess I will go without so he can go out and party all the time. I dont want to hurt his feelings by asking for his part or make him feel like a loser because he cant pay. Its ok just run me over some more the pain will stop eventually. MAN UP and Give this guy what he deserves!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    He has had six months to fix this or man up and talk to you about his situation. Take him to court now, before he ruins your credit. Ask the judge for wage garnishment or to attach his bank accounts. That will help you recover your losses.

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    My wife was once in a similar situation, though she was not even aware of the back rent due when she signed a sublet agreement. Long story short, we negotiated with the landlord's attorney (so, we didn't incur any legal fees) with an offer to pay her percentage of the rent in exchange for them signing a "covenant not to sue." There were some technicalities in place that could have gone in our favor, but never can tell what a judge or jury will decide. Cash is an effective bargaining tool!!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    OP, it seems like you're a pretty good guy and trying to be nice to him about this. You need to remember something that I learned early on as an LEO: YOU aren't doing anything to HIM, HE is doing it to HIMSELF. You can't let him railroad you simply because you think you're screwing up his future. Anything negative that goes his way because of this is his own fault, he caused it when he made a juvenile decision to ignore his responsibility. I stand by my opinion earlier that you need to do your best to talk to him and let him man up. If he doesn't though, he's on his own. Good luck!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    OP, it seems like you're a pretty good guy and trying to be nice to him about this. You need to remember something that I learned early on as an LEO: YOU aren't doing anything to HIM, HE is doing it to HIMSELF. You can't let him railroad you simply because you think you're screwing up his future. Anything negative that goes his way because of this is his own fault, he caused it when he made a juvenile decision to ignore his responsibility. I stand by my opinion earlier that you need to do your best to talk to him and let him man up. If he doesn't though, he's on his own. Good luck!

Very true

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    He stiffed you!!! Get the small claims judgement. Even if you don't collect, which you probably won't, it may have a negative effect on him down the road. Fight fire with fire, this guy is a worthless tool who will stick you again if he gets the chance.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My roommate did something like this to me. I called and left messages and on myspace... no answers even though his myspace page was being updated often... finally i sent an email telling him i packed his stuff up and dumped it at his moms house.

about 8 months later he comes knocking asking where his stuff was and that his mom didnt live there. i asked where his half of the rent was and he walked away.

(not saying this was the best or legal way of dealing with the situation... it just worked)

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I lived with another guy for three years. While I lived with the guy I didn't think that what he was doing was taking advantage of me for the living situation. I moved out over 1.5 years ago and now live by myself, which is nice. I look back at the things he did and thought that he really screwed me over on some stuff. I would say just as many others here have said, take him to small claims court. You said that you can't afford to keep doing this. Why should you? The BOTH of you entered into the agreement together. I can see 1 or two months of not paying rent and then saying something to you about it, but not 6 months.

Top Bottom