• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ran across a steeply discounted ahi tuna steak at kroger I couldn't pass up. Lightly seasoned then heavily crusted with freshly cracked black pepper.
    JK4Aue.jpg

it might just be me, but I probably would have just cubed up half of that and ate it as is, maybe a little soy sauce and wasabi ;)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    You know it's going to be a good day... smoke has been rolling since 07:30. Smoking a 5lb section of the top ham of the boar I shot down in Florida. Thawed it out Thursday then yesterday morning I injected it and rubbed it down then wrapped it tight in plastic wrap. Smoking over cherry wood with a few hickory chunks early in the smoke.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Tossed a couple of corned beef briskest on this morning, but the smoker just didn't seem full enough so defrosted a turkey breast, slathered it in bacon grease and rub under the skin and threw it on the lower rack.

Remembered the wife wanted me to clear some room in the garage fridge where I was defrosting the center portion of a whole pig that landed on my doorstep last week. Cut the loins off but the baby backs were small, it wasn't a big pig. Didn't really feel like sawing them off and there was a bit of the rear quarters still attached.(I quartered it with a sawsall while still frozen so I could get it in the fridge to defrost)

I decided to just rub and hang the whole thing, pit barrel style, and see how it is doing in about 5 hours. No idea how this will work, but worth a try.
    c3HYND.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Where is the love of using pecan wood for smoke? That's the only way the smoke in Texas...

Pecan is my primary when I'm grilling chops, steak or chicken. I toss a few small pieces on the coals and let the meat smoke over low heat for about five minutes before cranking up the heat and searing. When I BBQ I use 50/50 pecan & hickory most of the time.

Alaea salt, granulated garlic and pecan smoke is a magical combination. I highly recommend it when grilling steaks, chops or chicken.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I picked up a corned beef this morning and have it soaking in water for a smoke tomorrow. Mixed up the black pepper/coriander/garlic rub so hopefully things will go well. I also picked up four artichokes, I didn't realize they were so expensive. $2.50ea seems a bit steep so they'd better be good!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I picked up a corned beef this morning and have it soaking in water for a smoke tomorrow. Mixed up the black pepper/coriander/garlic rub so hopefully things will go well. I also picked up four artichokes, I didn't realize they were so expensive. $2.50ea seems a bit steep so they'd better be good!

At that price I'm not trying it until you have the method perfected!

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Today I tried my new smoker. This is the chicken breast I made for dinner:

11295563_1070376506310708_4016230387803822248_n_zpsxn1yco2o.jpg

Here is the pork shoulder:

11295694_1070411872973838_2200835983670356609_n_zps6tvygrcs.jpg

I used hickory and it was a little overbearing on the chicken at times. The shoulder actually didn't get done, but it was free so I figure it was a free try.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I like to take my shoulders to right around 200 degrees internal temp, they pull the way I like them to at that point. Try a fruitwood or maple on the chicken, I can see hickory being a little stout.

Hickory was all I had. I went out and bought two bags of apple which is what I wanted to begin with. Not a big hickory fan but it's what I was given.

Top Bottom