• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Folks often say that about my shop....I always wanted to meet you but you would hate the smell in here...Tobacco, Hoppes, and cosmoline....I like the smell but I admit it's an acquired aroma....

It's worse when millertyme stops in....:)

And dont get me wrong. You both are free to run your shops as you see fit. I'm against smoking bans. Private property owners should have the freedom to be or not be a smoke free establishment. Just like owners have the right to run their mouths about Glock owners being armchair commandos or whatever. Do what you want, and let the consumer decide if they want to give you their business.

And BBI is right, its awful. Ive walked out of bars after a night of drinking and not smelled that bad.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    My only affiliation with PSS is I live in Plainfield, and have bought some supplies and a gun there. You guys might be surprised. He move across the street to a new store, and no longer smokes in the show floor. Always has a good selection of arms. I stop by occasionally and always get decent help.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    So... who's fault is it that this store closed again? employees? owner? economy?

From what I've heard, the owner is definitely to blame in this case.

We've been blessed with a boom of new LGS the last three years, I'm curious as to which will last!

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I spoke with the owner today about my suppressors and his plan at this point in to retain his SOT and just do the transfers out of his house when customers stamps come in. Worst case scenario, he said the he would transfer customer suppressors to an area shop. I was told I would be contacted next week after the owner has a meeting with the ATF to figure things out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a now-vintage Grey Wolf Firearms t-shirt. That is all.

I almost bought one of those a few months ago when I stopped in and they were marked down Guess I should have gotten one.

I wish them luck with the online sales. I've looked at their online prices in the past on new guns and wasn't impressed. Maybe without the overhead of a brick and mortar store, their prices will come down.

As you drive up an down U.S. 36 in the Avon area, you don't see a lot of small shop space sitting vacant (large spaces are another matter). This tells me that its a sellers market for small retail space and I can't imagine that a shop in a modern strip center facing the highway is all that cheap. So, overhead may have factor in this store's outcome.

But, you gotta ask yourself, with Grey Wolf, Gander Mountain, Fort Liberty, and Parabellum, how many firearm retailers can the Avon strip support? Add Plainfield Shooters Supply and Premier in Brownsburg and Bradis in Camby to the mix and it sure seems like we have a saturation of gun stores in the west suburbs. With C&C Midwest and now Grey Wolf gone, who goes next?

I was thinking similar, and after having stopped in there a couple of times since they opened up, I wondered how they could be making it. I never saw much business going on in there. I wondered how they could possibly turn the volume to make the overhead worthwhile.

Unlike PSS which when I have been in seems to always be doing volume business (though I haven't been in as frequently since they moved, as I've been trying to reduce some gun spending).

Remember when there was a "we buy gold" going up every block? Lots of people chasing demand. Demand has dropped, the market will sort it out.

Retail is a tough business. It's tougher when you're not a "people person" or a salesman. The *only* reason I bother to shop local is due to relationships. If you can't build a relationship, you're fungible. I have no incentive to buy from you vs Bud's or Osage. It becomes a matter of economics only, and price wins. Unfortunately, the gun industry seems to have more than it's share of people with no concept of relationship building and decent customer service.

Agreed. No relationship, no reason to go. That's why I haven't and won't step in Bradis since Mark left (Mark was my go to for night sights and other accessories), and generally my first choice on the west side to buy a gun is PSS.

I haven't been out to PSS (tried to once but it was a Sunday and they were closed), but I agree with you about USDS and ITP. :yesway:

PSS is a good shop. Been a bit since I bought there, but I have bought, traded, etc there over many years. PSS has also offered me very fair trades (much better than other shops offered, and comparable to what I could sell on INGO for, especially considering the savings on sales tax on the trade value).

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I almost bought one of those a few months ago when I stopped in and they were marked down Guess I should have gotten one.

I was thinking similar, and after having stopped in there a couple of times since they opened up, I wondered how they could be making it. I never saw much business going on in there. I wondered how they could possibly turn the volume to make the overhead worthwhile.

Unlike PSS which when I have been in seems to always be doing volume business (though I haven't been in as frequently since they moved, as I've been trying to reduce some gun spending).

Agreed. No relationship, no reason to go. That's why I haven't and won't step in Bradis since Mark left (Mark was my go to for night sights and other accessories), and generally my first choice on the west side to buy a gun is PSS.

PSS is a good shop. Been a bit since I bought there, but I have bought, traded, etc there over many years. PSS has also offered me very fair trades (much better than other shops offered, and comparable to what I could sell on INGO for, especially considering the savings on sales tax on the trade value).

Bob is my spirit animal

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville

Pss is my go shop. I never made it into the old shop, but this new one is clean, stocked, the guys behind the counter are always helpful, and Bob has always given me decent deals on trades or when I'm just in to buy.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    There were a LOT of good deals to be had a couple weeks ago, on what was LEFT.(not much). Their "Xmas" sale was someone toeing the company line, they(employees) haven't had inventory for a couple months, and wouldn't/couldn't order anything! The owner pretty much looted what he wanted, and now the rest is history! Hopefully he does right by the guys with NFA stuff in jail still, as has been alluded to!

Sounds like we heard the same thing. Hopefully the owner doesn't fool anybody into working for him again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pss is my go shop. I never made it into the old shop, but this new one is clean, stocked, the guys behind the counter are always helpful, and Bob has always given me decent deals on trades or when I'm just in to buy.

The absolute best trade values in the area.

The Best.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I had stopped in GWF a couple weeks ago looking for a rail. I had been in the place half dozen times in the last year or two. I was always treated very well there and never felt intimidated like I have in several other LGS'. Many have mentioned Elmores being less than friendly and that had been my experience there as well. I've mostly dealt with PSS over the last 5 years but GWF was a welcome alternative. Sad to see them go. When I went in looking for a rail, shelves were nearly bare and I asked about ordering a rail and the guy behind the counter said owner had stopped all new orders. I expected they were closing up shop first of the year at that point. I drove the extra 15 minutes down to PSS and found a perfect solution to my rail quest for only $50!
    I think as long as Bob keeps his place running like it has been, it won't matter to me whether any other shops stay open or not.
    Also add that his new store is the nicest I've ever been in!

Matt

tjhkahunna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Greenwood
    Hey hemicharger. What did you find out about your suppressor? I have one in jail there and so does my brother. We don't know where to go or who to talk to it. Any advise? or a phone number of who to call?
    Please and Thank you.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When it's busy it's hard for small stores to get inventory. When it's slow it's hard for them to compete on prices. Challenges of small business. If it was easy everyone would be rich and selling guns for a living.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    An update for anyone curious, I called Paul and he said he'll give calls as they get form 4's back. Called ATF and my form 4 from June is still pending so I'd like to think everyone will be able to get their cans.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I drove by there today and they've already stripped the sign and everything else. That was pretty quick!
    Dan

Top Bottom