• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Does the word common sense ring any bells.

Not in school settings, at least not any more. That is the exact reason schools use policies that involve zero tolerance--they can't and/or won't allow the staff to take responsibility for common sense and individual thought. I am guessing it has something to do with "liability" and lawyers, but that is just conjecture on my part. I am a former high school teacher--taught for 15 years--and I personally SAW the move towards "policy" and away from "thought" in the running of the school.

After all, isn't it best to lead by example and indoctrinate the staff to follow policy, so they can pass that mentality on to the students? That's certainly what the atmosphere felt like to me when I retired. I rather doubt my experience to be an isolated case.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Best way to find out is ask a lawyer. DOE or the State will not help you cost them more money.
    I was really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt on this because I don't have any information one way or the other. But my gut reaction was that your reading of the Constitutional provision for a free education was a little broad. I believe the state only has to offer tuition-free education. I do not believe there is any obligation on the state's part to continue to pay for education when the enrollees have been withdrawn, whether voluntarily or involuntarily. Have you no proof for your claim?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt on this because I don't have any information one way or the other. But my gut reaction was that your reading of the Constitutional provision for a free education was a little broad. I believe the state only has to offer tuition-free education. I do not believe there is any obligation on the state's part to continue to pay for education when the enrollees have been withdrawn, whether voluntarily or involuntarily. Have you no proof for your claim?

Constitution says tare free.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Of COURSE they are worried! You know those wiley five year olds...why, they're probably doing gun-smithing by the jungle gym during recess! "I'll trade you my chocolate milk for a reassembly and function check."

I brought my pet turtle to show-and-tell once.
    By the time it was my turn, Squirtle was sleeping in my coat pocket. He never woke-up.

I don't want to talk about this anymore.........:(

I think the background of your screen name is becoming apparent.
    Ever have a pet duck?

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I graduated in '06. Little town. I sometimes had a pocket knife on me all day, never thought twice about it. Sometimes you need to open something and it's just easier with a knife. Other students who drove had gunracks in their trucks with their shotgun or whatever. Was never an issue then, I don't believe.

Well I graduated from a very large school on the south side.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Constitution says tare free.
    Since you insist on being obtuse in this matter.

Section 1. Knowledge and learning, generally diffused throughout a community, being essential to the preservation of a free government; it shall be the duty of the General Assembly to encourage, by all suitable means, moral, intellectual, scientific, and agricultural improvement; and to provide, by law, for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall be without charge, and equally open to all.

I still believe your understanding of the language is overly broad and incorrect. However, find me language in the IC or Dept. of Education policies, and I will concede that you are correct. Or find me the case law where someone thought like you and took it to the judge.

(Incidentally, Constitution says tuition free. Tare is related to a plant or weights.)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My wife has taught or been a counselor in a public school for almost 25 years. I know of cases where students were expelled from the school for various reasons, fighting and drug dealing among others. The school was required by state law to continue to provide those students with an education during their expulsion. I can't speak directly to the issue of tutoring, but I know that some were sent to alternative school at the expense of the school system. In the cases of which I'm personally aware the students had an IEP which may play a factor in all of this.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My wife has taught or been a counselor in a public school for almost 25 years. I know of cases where students were expelled from the school for various reasons, fighting and drug dealing among others. The school was required by state law to continue to provide those students with an education during their expulsion. I can't speak directly to the issue of tutoring, but I know that some were sent to alternative school at the expense of the school system. In the cases of which I'm personally aware the students had an IEP which may play a factor in all of this.
    That I understand. I would have accepted that as an answer too. I question the use of tutor though. Seems to me if a tutor is funded by the state then so should be a private brick and mortar school.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    That I understand. I would have accepted that as an answer too. I question the use of tutor though. Seems to me if a tutor is funded by the state then so should be a private brick and mortar school.

My younger brother is mentally handicapped. He had some difficulty in the class room and my mother forced them to provide an in-home tutor. She works in the school system and was familiar with a regulation that they had to hold to, they tried to fight it for several months but she stood her ground. I didn't have any luck finding any documetation of the circumstances she used and this was about 20 years ago. It may not apply to "normal" kids. I'm certain she remembers, I'll see if she can provide the info.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    Good little brainwashed student taught that guns are bad told on the other student...indoctrination successful...not really saying its bad in this example but kids are being taught that guns are for bad guys from a very young age...easier to have people volunteer to be disarmed than to do it house to house
    My children know that guns are not bad but are still taught to leave the area and inform a teacher if a gun is brought to school by another student. Just because mine know how to handle a gun doesnt mean the other kids know.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My children know that guns are not bad but are still taught to leave the area and inform a teacher if a gun is brought to school by another student. Just because mine know how to handle a gun doesnt mean the other kids know.

I believe the NRA Eddie Eagle teaches kids to not toch and tell an adult. I'd be proud if my boy saw someone with a gun (functioning or otherwise) and told a teacher. Whats wrong with that???

Top Bottom