• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maverick5990

Marksman
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    While I was waiting in a long line to make a purchase, I watched a customer fill out the paper work for a new pistol. The clerk looked it over and handed it to another girl working who's comment was "It looks OK to me" and the sale was rung up at the register. At no time was this called it. Looks like a great way to lose a permit to me.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some places actually submit on line and the paper copy is just for a hard copy record of the signature. I am pretty sure Gander Mountain is set up to do the NICS that way. Of course, some times in retail you get some pretty marginal workers.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've had at least one place send it in online when I completed a paper form filled out. Not sure how it works but it was a different shop than you listed. It was fast and I was surprised by the process.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    We do the NICS check online. The girl was probably confirming for a newer employee that the paperwork was completed properly. The background check was done online I am confident.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...At no time was this called it. Looks like a great way to lose a permit to me.

With your "lose a permit" comment, you're clearly insinuating no check was made. But there are many ways in which what you think you "see" can turn out to be in error. Did you bother to ask an employee if the background check was done? That might actually have been constructive. Might be preferable to spreading ill-informed misinformation about a business. Just a thought.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So if you do the online check (our Rural King does them all online now), you still have to fill out a paper 4473 as well? Sounds like it doesn't cut down much on time, just phone traffic... Or did I misread something?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So if you do the online check (our Rural King does them all online now), you still have to fill out a paper 4473 as well? Sounds like it doesn't cut down much on time, just phone traffic... Or did I misread something?

The paper work still has to be filled out. But the online is easier than the phone call. Especially in a busy store or range where it is hard to here.

LoriW

Expert
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    The paper work still has to be filled out. But the online is easier than the phone call. Especially in a busy store or range where it is hard to here.

This. When I was at Gander, we had customers fill out the 4473 on a computer (the program helps eliminate common errors like zip codes, abbreviations, hard to read handwriting, etc) or a paper 4473 if not computer savvy. Then we used eNics to do the background check. We could do the background check right in front of the customer without reading their information over the phone (do you want your name, address and potentially your SSN read out for anyone to hear?). The only advantage to calling it in over the eNics was if they thought they would get a delay (I had an employee that got an eNics delay every time) because on the phone you could go to a 2nd tier examiner to (usually) get a proceed or a denial. ENics can stay a delay for a few days. When we got the answer on eNics, we'd print out that page to put with the 4473 in case of an ATF audit (we didn't get a Brady ID for an examiner after all, like we would if we called it in). We had to do double checks (by a manager) on all our 4473's to catch (hopefully) errors before the gun left the store.

Now, as a self employed FFL, we do paper copies of 4473's filled out by the customer (working on a computer specifically just for the 4473 program so that customers aren't using our personal computers) but typically use eNics to do background checks. I think we've called in exactly one background check the whole time we've been up and running.

To the OP's situation, the clerk SHOULD have entered the information in on eNics if it wasn't called in. I'm going to assume that was done unless someone else has evidence otherwise.

Last edited:

maverick5990

Marksman
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield
    With your "lose a permit" comment, you're clearly insinuating no check was made. But there are many ways in which what you think you "see" can turn out to be in error. Did you bother to ask an employee if the background check was done? That might actually have been constructive. Might be preferable to spreading ill-informed misinformation about a business. Just a thought.

I watched the customer fill out the paperwork, hand it to a clerk who's comment was "she's the one who checks it". At this time the 20 something female clerk took a quick glance at it and said "it looks OK to me". Apparently she scanned it to the internet with her eyes! She did not leave the counter. Sorry Coach, but that's what I saw. If all was above board, then I apologize, if not you have something to check into.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So if the BATFE shows up on Dover Ave in Avon in the next day or so we can guess they are monitoring INGO?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I watched the customer fill out the paperwork, hand it to a clerk who's comment was "she's the one who checks it". At this time the 20 something female clerk took a quick glance at it and said "it looks OK to me". Apparently she scanned it to the internet with her eyes! She did not leave the counter. Sorry Coach, but that's what I saw. If all was above board, then I apologize, if not you have something to check into.

It is above board. We follow the law and do the check. The girl is not 20 something either. You did not see it all. But thanks for trashing the range on the internet and incorrectly.

cctwcc

Plinker
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville

Ever hear the adage "better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"? It's probably a good idea to understand exactly what the process is before accusing Parabellum of violating Federal law? You don't "lose your permit" you go directly to jail. I can't imagine why any gun owner (or anyone else for that matter) would toss a serious a charge like this out in an open forum? The coumputer background check can be performed by anyone that is authorized and can be performed from any computer, even one in the back room. You obviously don't have any idea how the process works and making accusations like this on any forum is beyond irresponsible.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I can't imagine why any gun owner (or anyone else for that matter) would toss a serious a charge like this out in an open forum?...

I suspect we have our answer right here:

While I was waiting in a long line...

"...I got po'ed, made some observations of what was going on at the front of the line, and couldn't wait to get home and vent on my computer."

(Of course, that's an assumption based on incomplete information...but I'm sure the OP won't mind.)

fatvette

Plinker
    Jan 3, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    I had a rifle transferred to Parabellum. Completed the 4473 hard copy. The young man that was waiting on me punched some info into the computer and then handed the 4473 to a young lady. She looked it over and said looks good. Young man said that will be $25. I asked aren't you going to call it in. He said that we(Parabellum) does it online and I was good to go. This was my first transfer to Parabellum and doing the nic check on line. Thought it was cool as hell and was on my way:)

Nacelle

Marksman
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I didn't detect any intentional slander in the OP. The guy was just reporting what he saw. You don't have to be *******s about it. I bet you guys wouldn't talk that way to his face. I really thought that these forums, being semi-local, would garner a higher level of respect for one-another. I guess not.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Respect is a two way street. Perhaps instead of bringing the perceived issue up in an open forum, OP should have had the respect to confront the employee(s) involved. But I'll bet he wouldn't say that to their face, would he?

See how that works? So he gets what he gave.

Top Bottom