• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Not every day. But yah, sometimes I watch planes. Always have. And there are more airports than just where airlines fly. And then there are airports where they have skydiving and glider planes that are neat to watch.

Thats cool, didn't mean to sound rude...

back to the gun stores, anyone know which ones work on commission?

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I like to be acknowledged when I first come in the door and then asked if there is anything they can help me find. If not, just leave me alone to look and drool.

As to purchasing a gun, I assume it's the one I just fondled. However, I was at Plainfield Shooting Supplies a few months ago and purchased a Ruger Mark III Hunter...the owner said to "hold tight" because he had one in the back that had not been taken out of the plastic. Pretty nice.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Midwest Guns in Mishawaka and Elkhart. Always great customer service. Have bought two firearms there along with ammo. Great group of guys they all seem to have a lot of knowledge. I have even been to the range and they know me so well that they have been very busy one day when I wanted to use the range and they asked me what I needed, I said ammo and some targets and a lane. They gave all that I needed and said just pay when you are done on your way out. I give them all the praise in the world. Never have they tried to over sell me anything and they always stay well within my price range.:popcorn:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had always expected to buy the weapon I was looking at... But getting one NIB from the back totally makes sense.

All I ask when I go into a gun shop is a little bit of courtesy. If it's slow, I assume someone will ask me if they can help me find anything. I've always been treated well at Bradis and will probably be buying there again next weekend because of it.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I don't go to a few places because the customer service is so bad. I don't know why but every once in a while I end up going to Gander Mountain and every time I leave there angry. There is a gun store near where my parents live that I visit at least once a month, but yet the guy working behind the counter greets my family and I by first names. They know that if we need something that we will ask, other than that they pretty much leave us to look around the shop. Problem lately is that I cannot find anything that is a must have. I find somethings that are nice but not the "oooo I want."

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I walk in and say I'm looking for a Walther P99, don't look at me and say "What do want one of those for? We've got Glocks and XD's that are just just like a P99."

It's like when I go to the airport. Sometimes I just want to look at the planes. Doesn't mean I'm going flying. But a welcome environment keeps me coming back for the day I do fly.

You're not one of the guys I've ran off, threatened to cite for Criminal Trespass and tow your car are you? Won't post my pic on here so you can tell but I'm sure I'm the only one out there that carries a Sig P220 with a TLR-1 on it. Actually think I may be the only one that even carries a Sig.

Capn Blanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Going into an unfamiliar gunshop is like going into a new barbershop,bar or garage.A lot of regulars and hangers on giving the newbie the fisheye.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    When you go into a gun shop, what kind of etiquette do you expect? Such as the atmosphere, scenery, behavior and treatment of the employees. The merchandise and stock they have.

I expect number one, not to have a frigging gun pointed at me or any one with me.

Number two, I expect not to have a frigging gun pointed at me or any one with me and the trigger pulled.

I expect to be waited on when my turn comes up and not to be butted in on by people who came in after or think I give a flying fire truck what they brother in law bought, has to say, or read in the latest Combat Handguns.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I do have ONE real buggaboo, and that goes at all gun shops. Most are guilty of this, somewhat, others more so. I get a little annoyed when "groupies", are hanging out, not buying anything, and I can't even get past them, because that's their spot, and they ain't movin. Hey! I want to look down in those counters too!!

Yeah, that too.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I know right where you were! Just down the Pike from me!

My biggest issue with gun store employees is being taken seriously as a gun owner and shopper. I'm a younger guy and am normally in jeans a t-shirt and sandals. I look more like I should be tail-gating at a Jack Johnson concert than standing in a gun store, and I cannot begin to count the number of places I've been where my presence has been completely ignored. As I have gained a few years this has gotten better, but it still bugs me when I'm talked to like I know nothing about guns, when the guy twice my age in combat boots, cargo pants, a tacticool hat some sure fire t-shirt (barely covering his gut) and a thigh holster is presumed to be an expert becaue he's playing tacticool dress up for his shopping trip!

That rant aside, Bradis is my new favorite place. Been there once, was addressed respectfully, my questions were answered and was treated like a regular on my first visit. I live a little ways away, but will have no problems making the drive for the kind of service and hospitality I recieved.

AMEN! I know I'm young, but I STILL don't understand why it is so difficult for some salespeople at some shops to give me the time of day. :n00b: The attitude improves considerably once the cash clears the pocket, but it shouldn't be like that. :twocents:

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    When I walk in and say I'm looking for a Walther P99, don't look at me and say "What do want one of those for? We've got Glocks and XD's that are just just like a P99."

You're not one of the guys I've ran off, threatened to cite for Criminal Trespass and tow your car are you? Won't post my pic on here so you can tell but I'm sure I'm the only one out there that carries a Sig P220 with a TLR-1 on it. Actually think I may be the only one that even carries a Sig.

Where are people going that they need to be run off? Man, airports used to make parking lots just for aircraft spotters.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Where are people going that they need to be run off? Man, airports used to make parking lots just for aircraft spotters.

There's a few places that are supposed to be a "secured" area. People sometimes park their cars in random areas and try to walk into theses "secured" areas so they can "get a better look at some of the planes coming down the run way".

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    :popcorn:Good thread-------great reading.
    I just read every post!! :rockwoot:Its actually kind of funny because I just posted on another thread, not sure which one, about a Fan Boy trying to sell me a Glock instead of anything I wanted to look at. I know I might catch hell for this but Im an XD guy and this guy just blew that off and "Oh this gun has all the parts you could need all over the internet" "Oh all the magazines are interchangeable" "Glock Glock Glock Glock" I can say all of the same things about my Service model XD. This guy even tried to sell me a Glock .45, whatever number it was, when I was looking at Kimber and SA 1911s. Show me the gun I asked about and discuss, objectively, pros and cons and any issues YOU know of, not your neighbors babysitters cousins grandmothers next door neighbors dog walker said because chances are theyre just another sheeple that believe everything they hear and just jump on the bandwagon. I do a lot of investigating before I buy a gun and I check a lot of shops before I buy, just give me the time of day and check the bold parts.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    AMEN! I know I'm young, but I STILL don't understand why it is so difficult for some salespeople at some shops to give me the time of day. :n00b: The attitude improves considerably once the cash clears the pocket, but it shouldn't be like that. :twocents:

Whats funny though is when I've walked in, in uniform, asking for copper solvent (because certain people can't figure out how to manage your tax dollars well enough to get me and my buddies the equipment we need and the stuff we need to maintain it) to use on an m107 (that would be the big momma .50 cal) All of a sudden I draw every employees attention and all of a sudden I matter. It's a wonder what a pair of ugly pajamas and some nifty nomenclature can accomplish :D

Another note on clothing, I have gotten different reactions when dressed in a suit and tie (usually ditch the jacket before heading in the store.) On one occasion I was treated as if I knew nothing about guns and was a tourist or something. The other time I was handed the priciest gun in the case and told how wonderful it was and encouraged to buy multiple guns and accessories.

I've worked in retail sales and know that an employee has to make a pretty snap judgement from behind the counter to determine how they want to approach you. While it's hard not to fall back on the "normal" stereotypes they can be avoided with experience and some maturity. # 1 rule for salesmen (in my book) is KNOW YOUR PRODUCT! That way even if you lack social skills, I'll still get the info and product I want. I'm not terribly picky about how I'm treated as a customer, I do get frustrated, but have never boycotted a business because of it's staff. If the product and prices are good that's where I'll go, if I want a free hug, someone to give me false afection and pretend they care about me I'll head down past KS&E to PT's :D

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I normally don't have too many issues, but when I was a little younger I had some issues sometimes with workers in gun shops. Maybe it was an age thing that they didn't think I was a serious shopper, but not sure. Either way I live in America and support the 2nd amendment so I should be able to freely admire a good gun. Thats my take on things.

Top Bottom