• Of the 3 Gun Shows in the Evansville area what is your favorite

• Total voters

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    Wow I thought someone would have replied already but at least I see there were some votes.

I remember the days of the Green Convention Center Gun Shows and I really miss them.
    The Armory is I think the bigger show of the 3 around here but it just seems to be lacking the better dealers that always came to the old shows.

The Vanderburgh 4-H show I think should move to a larger venue to see if it could get more dealers and more walking room but I think you see more guns per table space there than any of the 3 shows.

Boonville is small but I do like the dealers there, it used to have more dealers and they used the stages and a back room but those aren't needed anymore it seems,

Maybe the Clinton years were just good for Gun Shows??
    They just seemed to be better back then,

They used to have big ones at the Executive Inn at Owensboro too but both the Green/Executive facilities are rubble now.

Roberts Stadium could hold a monster of a show not sure why that has never happened?

so anyway my vote was for Vanderburgh 4-H mainly because it just takes me longer to get through it since I see more stuff of interest to me.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    The days of the great guns shows were over by the early 90s...
    Now, I still go to gun shows in the hopes of catching that one great deal, but I haven't found it for a long time.
    I do find them when I look on the internet, though. And this applies to nearly everything gun related I am looking for. Ammo can be bought cheaper from places like Aim and the EE here and elsewhere does a fine job of supplying deals.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I voted Evansville 4H, though it has been years since I went to the Boonville show. I used to go there in the 1990's and remember more traditional gun show booths; dealers with used and/or older guns, good parts sources, odd lots of ammo.

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    I guess that could be a huge factor that the internet could be killing the Gun Show,,? I guess I am contributing as well with my website too but have to admit I do want the site to perform.

Yeah Walmart is very hard to beat on ammo as well, although I reload and can't recall ever buying loaded ammo other than 22LR an 22mag and then in my younger days some AA shells just to get new hulls.

i don't even try to sell any ammo that Walmart caries, I do decent with Hornady ammo and odd calibers.

EE? Is that the Tell City gun shop or something else?

Gun Shows are something I really don't want to see fade into the past since I like both doing them and attending the ones I don't do.

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    Well looks like Vanderburgh is the choice so far,

Maybe post where you are from?

Interested to know how far people actually travel to hit these shows.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Favorite Evansville gunshow? Any of them where negligent discharges aren't sending rounds into by-standers. :n00b:Around our parts (Spencer County) I actually like the Ferdinand show the best.

To answer the other question-

EE? Is that the Tell City gun shop or something else?

I would have to say "no" based on this comment "Ammo can be bought cheaper from places like Aim and the EE here and elsewhere does a fine job of supplying deals."

E&E in Tell City is owned by some good guys that I really like talking with and I've purchased a few guns from them. And although they do have a sweet price on two Smith model 24s right now, I don't think I've ever head the words "cheaper" or "deals" connected to them;)

Last edited:

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    I went to a show up that way a few weeks ago but it was North of Ferdinand, not good on highway numbers up there but it was North of that old concrete plant at a 4-H center.

It was quite thin on having much so I'm guessing it's not the same show you mentioned?

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I like the Boonville show the best, if nothing else because it's a bit smaller and there is more room, it seems like you don't get the amount of rude people in tight spaces you get at the Evansville shows.

I still would rather drive to the 1500 if I plan on buying anything, as it is the best show around, but Boonville is nice to talk with some locals and sometimes catch a good deal you were not expecting.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I went to a show up that way a few weeks ago but it was North of Ferdinand, not good on highway numbers up there but it was North of that old concrete plant at a 4-H center.

It was quite thin on having much so I'm guessing it's not the same show you mentioned?

I think you might be talking about the Holland/Dubois show. I was at that one, and yes, it was quite pathet...yeah, thin, although the dealer with all the Saigas was cool. The Ferdinand show is in Ferdinand at the park center.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    The gun shows that I have been at ( Armory and 4 H Center ) in the Evansville area. I have to say the 4H center could stand to have a much larger Venue area. The isles are to short. I have found that the Dealers and Vendors are generally ok. We could stand to have some more vendors and Dealers at both. in my opinion I would like to see less flea market items and tables at both of the shows, I come to see ,shop and talk to other gun owners an buyers, not so much for the quilts, children items or old glass. If I wanted that I would attend the flea market out on Kentucky Ave at the beginning of each month.
    In the long and short of your question, I believe that enjoyment from both does come and go. Maybe we need something in the lines of a " 1500 " Style show in this area, bringing other dealers from other regions.

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I live in Boonville and I have been to all of these shows. I favor the Evansville 4H Center show. I just seem to be able to find more of what I am interested in there. I can normally do a quick walk-through at the Armory show. The Boonville show is the one I seldom attend anymore.

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    I live just South of Boonville and run L&M Excavating and Wirthweinguns.com. I/we just started doing the gun shows again and that is the reason for the post. I think the problem I am seeing with the Boonville show is the people involved are getting older and not quite keeping up with the changing times. I have thought about maybe getting more involved in that show to maybe boost it a little. It's one of the oldest if not THE oldest shows running and I hate to see it fall.

Also have just gotten a glimpse of the inside world of these 3 shows and it's interesting to say the least. The other 2 shows aren't thrilled about the Armory show booking same dates and that is the newer show.

I have always liked going to gun shows and am disappointed in the fact there seems to be problems with our shows and I would like to try and fix it. that is why I am so interested in reasons for your votes.

So it may take time but this thread just may be the start of the fix we all want, so let's keep it going.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I agree that the 4H show really needs more room,also seems to me to always have a better crowd also. I'm also of the opinion that the internet is putting the hurt on the shows. In talking to some of the younger shooters I know, they'd rather get their ammo and parts online, or go to the huge shows in Indy, Louisville, or Knob Creek. That is another thing that I think is hurting the smaller local shows. For me, Louisville and Knob Creek are only a few minutes longer than Evansville, Indy an hour. So it boils down to this: do I drive an hour and walk the show in less time, or do I drive an hour and 15 minutes and spend easily half the day doing a fly-by of the tables? Also the two Evansville shows always competing against each other, is not doing anybody any good.

benchrest500

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Boonville
    You would think Tell City would have some kind of gun show but I never remember such a thing.

Yes Internet is definitively getting sales but I still think the gun show has that "In your Face" value, much like going to a concert or just buying the CD.

I think a lot of the dealers are just getting older and not doing the shows.
    I think fuel prices are keeping some dealers from attending.
    I think the younger generation is just not into what I call traditional firearms.

I'm sorry but if it's long and don't have beautiful wood I'm not interested. I don't own a long gun with plastic furniture nor do I currently have any interest in one.

I can see different side to the 2 shows on same date thing, it does divide dealers, we can't do both or at least most can't.
    BUT I think it can make people come out if there are 2 vs. 1 show,, may not be worth seeing one but if there are two it may be worth getting out of the house and justify the gas expense.

So what do we do to keep the local shows interesting and something to look forward too? Umm yeah Bikini models is probably not the direction I'm heading here but,,:D

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    There was a couple of them here about 4 years ago. I don't know why they stopped having them, it was actually a decent show with good attendance. IIRC it was the same promoter who does the E-ville 4H shows.
    I think one reason a lot of dealers don't do shows is that its just too much of a hassle. Got to load up stock, haul it, unload it, set up, then reverse the process for what they don't sell. Why do that when you can stay home and sell for the same $? Or just take a couple of pics and sell on the net?
    I still like to hit several shows a year even with a C&R, simply because I like to look at and hold what I'm interested in before buying. Plus I can always find something I didn't know I needed until I saw it. :):

Top Bottom