Amish Mafia Bar
    ththcokesmiley.gif

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Hurrah! Class warfare comes to INGO.

I can't stand when somebody thinks their Walmart Tasco red dot is just as good as my Aimpoint.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I believe Firebirds was saying you're the type to give "advice" based off of brand loyalty instead of what actually works. AKA everything not this brand sucks fanboyism.
    But that depends on what you meant by your post about selling the DPMS and buying a glock 9mm...

Glock and M&P are proven brands of 9mm handguns. Neither of which I own, incidentally.:rolleyes: They are typically in use by law enforcement, used in competition and recommended by nearly all trainers. For God's sake though, don't listen to a "SNOB" like me; do some research. Of course you'll have to do it with the idea that everyone who doesn't recommend the least expensive option is your enemy.

My suggestion is that if you cannot afford one of these, well proven, moderately inexpensive firearms then maybe owning an AR is not the best idea. Especially at a time when they are way overvalued, the merit of owning an AR platform rifle for self defense is minimal if you are raising a family on a tight budget. I won't even address the idea of having two car payments on said budget and complaining about others being "GUN SNOBS." :rolleyes:

In your quest to brand me as a fanboy or hater of brands you are missing the fact that my advice is a suggestion to evaluate your priorities as opposed to telling you what to buy.

To the OP; Got a couple bits of advice for you, that you may or may not like.

First of all flip that DPMS and accessories right now while the values are high. Use the funds to get a Glock or M&P, GOOD carry gear and ammo.

Second, forget the .45acp for now. 9mm is adequate for SD and much more affordable to shoot. So do this, shoot it a lot.

Third, listen to the smart folks suggesting training. Try not to be so focused on hardware, yet buy well proven brands of gear.

Your handgun is THE GUN that you will always have. Your focus should be on it. Master it, then move on to the long guns. The Maverick will serve your very seldom needs for a long gun.

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've never made a lot of money, and I've always had to compromise wants for needs.

One of my best shooting memories is still the day when I won first place in a black power shoot, with my "out of the box TC Hawken" over a bunch of other guys with their expensive hand-made rifles. My prize - a canned ham. The best part was when one bearded old-timer said "son, you're a pretty good shooter"; good times.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Gun Snob

Any one who forgot where they started is either a snob, lucky or a snob. Keep in mind protect your family be safe. Save your pennies for a quality firearm. We have all had some junk and most have moved on from there. I have an old OMC 380 back up I have carried for over 30 years. Most folks look at it and say oh an AMT back up. Well sort of but a couple years older. It has served me well. We find the snobs everywhere and when they look in the mirror they see the snob. For them to admit to it not easy, it has to go along with them admitting a fault. Look at our current VEEP advising his wife to commit felonies. Buy a shotgun, buy a shotgun. Shoot it in the air scare off the intruder. SNOB AT IT'S BEST. Not to mention unsafe and lacking common sense.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Glock and M&P are proven brands of 9mm handguns. Neither of which I own, incidentally.:rolleyes: They are typically in use by law enforcement, used in competition and recommended by nearly all trainers. For God's sake though, don't listen to a "SNOB" like me; do some research. Of course you'll have to do it with the idea that everyone who doesn't recommend the least expensive option is your enemy.

My suggestion is that if you cannot afford one of these, well proven, moderately inexpensive firearms then maybe owning an AR is not the best idea. Especially at a time when they are way overvalued, the merit of owning an AR platform rifle for self defense is minimal if you are raising a family on a tight budget. I won't even address the idea of having two car payments on said budget and complaining about others being "GUN SNOBS." :rolleyes:

In your quest to brand me as a fanboy or hater of brands you are missing the fact that my advice is a suggestion to evaluate your priorities as opposed to telling you what to buy.

Slow your roll bro.
    The reason why I didn't jump you for being a fanboy and inserted the "IF then" comments was because your post could have been read as either fanboyism OR sound advice.... or even both. (You directed him to ditch his AR and then recommended specific brands without explanation as to why you were recommending them...as if the OP should take your word for it) We can't read voice inflection or see your body language. This is the internetz. For those of us used to having to put up with Keyboard Kommandos and Fanboyism we can be quick to assume such direct language is a sign of a :mallninja:

Since it is your case that owning a quality handgun and good gear to go with it is far more useful to the OP than owning an AR, then I would agree with your comment 100%. I actually PMed the OP the same suggestion.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    One can justify spending their money however they want :)
    I drive beater vehicles and shoot decent gear.

Buying something lesser or different, doesn't really save money in the long run.

Best IMHO to do without and save, later get exactly what you want.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Hello INGOers.I have to rant about something because it is starting to bug me.First,I'll give some background on myself for those of you who don't visit my profile and maybe you can then understand where I'm coming from.

I am nineteen years old with a wife and infant son.I work nights as a custodian for $10.78 per hour and no benefits.I have two car payments per month along with various other bills.We literally live from paycheck to paycheck sometimes.My very first firearm that i could call "mine" was acquired at age eighteen and was a Cobra .32 semi auto.I had to save up for almost two months to get the $125 for my lifetime LTCH.

Now for the rant...

I am getting tired of reading posts from people being gun snobs.It seems like every time I jump on INGO,I run across a post saying that (insert name of any "affordable" firearm)s are junk.It used to make me feel inferior,now it just makes me angry because people such as myself are getting advice that they have to pay high prices for any good guns.Am I wrong for loving my Kel Tec,DPMS,Maverick,or my Remington?These guns were what I could come by and they all go bang every time that I pull the trigger.I'm now looking for an affordable .45 for carry and my best option,money wise,looks to be a Hi Point due to my financial situation.I have heard stories of Hi Points,Kel Tecs, and other lower-priced guns being junk.I have had great experiences with these "undesireable" guns.I've also heard horror stories about the almighty Glock but I still wouldn't mind having one.My own belief is this:a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list.Why do people have to talk so much crap about good guns just because they don't set you back $1000 when you get one?

Bring on the gun snobs...I wouldn't mind some friendly discussion either.
    I know what you mean. No matter what the item, there is always some clown that has to take a dump on someone's choice in that item. Generally, you get what you pay for. I have two Hi Points, the JHP & the C9, and both have done great for me. I usually carry my Beretta BU9 Nano, but sometimes will switch off to the C9 for a couple of days.

The Hi Points I have will never outlast the Berettas, Glocks, SIGS, etc., but when you only have a small amount of money you do what you can do. Don't worry what others think, you just do your best to save money where you can and always strive to get the next level up in pistol quality to replace the one you had to settle with just to get you and your family by.:)

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Hurrah! Class warfare comes to INGO.

I can't stand when somebody thinks their Walmart Tasco red dot is just as good as my Aimpoint.

No one said their lower dollar equipment was better. You prove the point of the OP. you use what you can afford. I'd rather have a cheap sight then no sight. We're talking about SD/sport here not military deployment. Is a tasco as good as an aimpoint? Hell no. When sighted properly, will the tasco hit target at 50-100 yds. Yes. The point is there's no reason to be a DB just because someone can't afford what you can.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I am a 1911 .45 aficionado ....want to know what I carry daily?
    An American Classic II .45 Government Model. Cost? $460 if I remember right.
    I carry it daily, I compete with it, I am never without it.
    The only upgrades? Quality magazines, add-on magazine well, and a shok-buff for the plug.
    I was surprised as to how accurate it was right out of the box.
    So there ARE great weapons to be had for well under $1000

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    First gun bought at age 29 (10/22) for $ 189.00 it, took 4 weeks to save for that back in 1989. Didnt get to start a gun collection till age 40. Made more money then. Im in my 50's now making good money and can afford better finally. This is life and I agree there's no need for snobery.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    No matter how little it may cost, if it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and it is reasonably accurate at combat distances you have done what you could with what you had. As other have stated, we have all been there when first starting out. Over time your collection will not only increase in volume but in value per piece as well. My first carry 45 was a $200 Star PD, carried that little thing for years and it was 100% reliable. Nowadays my constant companion is a Springfield, either an XDm 45 or one of the Operators though every now and then that old Star comes out of the safe to go for a hip ride for old times sake.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Slow your roll bro...
    ... This is the internetz.

Why thank you for the schoolin'. I've been waiting around for my edumacation. :rolleyes:

...For those of us used to having to put up with Keyboard Kommandos and Fanboyism we can be quick to assume such direct language is a sign of a :mallninja:

There you go. Got me figured out. I'm not really a "GUN SNOB," I'm a mall ninja. That works, I'll take it. ;)

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    You should thank every gun snob you meet, because without them firearms would be crude ugly pure junk.

Thanks to gun snobs there is pretty rosewood grips,
    Black melonite coating
    Tight but not too fight fitting slides
    crisp triggers with short resets.

You knock off guns are busy taking ideas from fine firearms.

So Gun Snobs are what makes everything better.

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I would be thankful to have a gun with family on 10 bucks an hour. Beenthere done that..
    There will always be want it is better than what i have... Just the way it is..also good point x10..

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why thank you for the schoolin'. I've been waiting around for my edumacation. :rolleyes:

You're totally welcome. You did seem confused as to my earlier response and why someone might have interpreted your meaning that way. :D I'm so glad I could be the one to come along and be that guy who reached out to you. lol

There you go. Got me figured out. I'm not really a "GUN SNOB," I'm a mall ninja. That works, I'll take it. ;)
    I mean, if you wanna interpret what I said that way...I guess I can't stop you. lol

As I pointed out before....this is the internetz. Here we are all gods of war. lol :chuck:

Top Bottom