Happy Valentine's Day, we're getting divorced.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Get the slimiest, most crooked despicable lawyer you can find. Then if you can feel nice about how things will go down.

Seeing a theme in the advice given in the previous posts?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Get the best lawyer you can afford. Then go and have an initial meeting with the man crushing lawyers in the area so that she can't hire them. The money spent will be saved many times in the long run. Ask me how I know.
    Lawyer, Lawyer, Lawyer. Too many assets with related debt to screw around. A good lawyer will be cheaper in the end. You sneaky bast...d! I did the same thing. She was so p..s'd when she found out she couldn't hire any of the good lawyers in town. Once you have an initial meeting with a lawyer they can't represent her.PS Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on your loss. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

That's some of the silliest statements about hiring a lawyer ever.
    You better have a metric ton of money and all the wife has to do is head over to the next county and hire a Top Gun from there.
    There will always be a never ending stream of qualified divorce Attorneys available.

OP as many others have stated hire yourself a good Attorney and listen to what they tell you to do.
    At least all you have to split is property, and not who has the kids and when.
    Keep your head screwed on right and make a appointment tomorrow. Good Luck.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    That's some of the silliest statements about hiring a lawyer ever.
    You better have a metric ton of money and all the wife has to do is head over to the next county and hire a Top Gun from there.
    There will always be a never ending stream of qualified divorce Attorneys available.

Are you speaking from experience or shooting from the hip Clay?

Some of us have experience with this.

I can tell you that in my area there are only a couple pitbull attorneys that you don't want to go up against.

Everyone has an opion in this type of situation. I hope you never have to be faced to make the decision.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just a thought, but you know your soon-to-be-ex better than any of us. Have you asked her what she thinks is fair, do you also think it's fair, and do you think she'll stick with it? My first wife and I divorced while I was overseas, and it was as amicable as these sorts of things can go. There was very little in the way of assets. I hired a lawyer to do the paperwork, as I was halfway around the world, and she did not get a lawyer. We both got what we thought was fair and called it a day.

Everyone here will give you advise based on their own experience. You know your situation. Do what your gut says to do.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Are you speaking from experience or shooting from the hip Clay?

Some of us have experience with this.

I can tell you that in my area there are only a couple pitbull attorneys that you don't want to go up against.

Everyone has an opion in this type of situation. I hope you never have to be faced to make the decision.

Full disclosure, I've been divorced twice. My first marriage was to a Attorney, their whole family is Attorney's. I've rode the Attorney train. My best friend is a Attorney.
    I have a few Attorney's in my family, every county in America has pit bull Attorney's.
    To think that the average man or a rich man could afford to do what you propose is unattainable. It's a old wize tail, It's simply not my opinion it's a fact.
    The spouse will just see a Attorney of choice in another county.
    There is 92 counties in Indiana, are you going to see every pit bull in each county?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
    Do what Glueman says, I did this and it saved me THOUSANDS........

Lawyer, Lawyer, Lawyer. Too many assets with related debt to screw around. A good lawyer will be cheaper in the end.

You sneaky bast...d! I did the same thing. She was so p..s'd when she found out she couldn't hire any of the good lawyers in town.

Once you have an initial meeting with a lawyer they can't represent her.

PS Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on your loss. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Lawyer! Not now, yesterday! One more time, GET A LAWYER! You will not regret it! Get a lawyer, say nothing to her, volunteer NO information, don't propose any agreement, don't listen to her proposing any agreement, just get a lawyer.

Get the best lawyer you can afford. Then go and have an initial meeting with the man crushing lawyers in the area so that she can't hire them. The money spent will be saved many times in the long run. Ask me how I know.

Sound advice in this thread. GET A LAWYER! Go have the intial meetings with the man eater lawyers.

:ingo:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also - if you go around "lawyer shopping" with the intent of creating conflicts of interest so she cannot obtain representation - it will not go well for you if you can prove that you've just been driving around consulting for the purpose of denying her a chance at representation.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One thing I didn't mention in my earlier post, I know it sucks to go through this, when I dealt with it, it was the darkest period of my life, but it does get better. For several months, I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Now, after getting remarried, and being happy for the last 12 years, I'm glad things went down the way they did. Things will get better.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IANAL, but I would move my guns somewhere where she can't get at them. Women are interesting creatures, hard to tell what they will do one minute to the next.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for all the kind words, advise, experiences, and prayers. I am not outside of being amicable, like I said I have to work with her on a daily basis. My income depends on it.

I know a few lawyers that work in IL. They can't work my case, but they had some good thoughts.
    One thing was to preemptively get the guns out of the house. Another, that I'm not going to do was to buy $100,000 of that stock I really liked on margin.

When I would hear these stories I was always so glad that it would never be me. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to write up much on it for obvious reasons, but thanks again to everyone for everything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :nailbite:

This is one of the scariest threads on INGO.

I'm going to go home and tell my wife I love her.

PS - Maybe some Yacht Rock will cheer you up, Eric.

Top Bottom