Hawaii: Three years under martial law was like ‘military dictatorship’ (1941-44)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    With the anniversary of Pearl Harbor marks the beginning of the longest reign of military oppression over American citizens in our nation's history. After the Japanese air raid, the U.S. Constitution was suspended and martial law was declared on December 7th, 1941. It was only supposed to last for "about 30 days" but dragged on for nearly 3 years -- well past what the governor had agreed to.

Civilians lost all freedoms and could be held by the military, indefinitely, without charges or trial. The military imposed heavy censorship, shut down newspapers, took over radio stations, read all outgoing mail, screened long-distance phone calls, and restricted travel.

Everyone above the age of 6 was forced to be registered and fingerprinted, and carry around military-issued ID cards. Prices were controlled, wages were controlled, money was confiscated, access to bank accounts was restricted.

American soldiers confiscated civilian weapons, imposed curfews, imprisoned people because of their speech or skin color, and arrested people for crimes like lighting a cigarette inside a private home after dark. In fact, the islands were under strict "blackout" orders and any lights turned on after dark resulted in fines or imprisonment -- or the confiscation of blood.

A federal judge said: “The Army went beyond the governor and set up that which was lawful only in conquered enemy territory… they threw the Constitution into the discard and set up a military dictatorship.”

Hawaii under martial law was like 'military dictatorship' (1941-1944)

hawaii-martial-law-3.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is there where we pretend that Hawaii is a state during WWII? So much suspension of reality to be an INGOtarian.

Hawaii was just a territory from 1941 to 1944 and as per Hawaii v. Mankichi not all of the Constitution extended to a territory. Article IV, §3 gives the feds the authority that they need.

What is the problem now?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah yes, comfy, middle of the country 2014 ideology applied to a place that actually was attacked and was infiltrated with spies.

How quaint.

wadcutter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Is there where we pretend that Hawaii is a state during WWII? So much suspension of reality to be an INGOtarian.

Hawaii was just a territory from 1941 to 1944 and as per Hawaii v. Mankichi not all of the Constitution extended to a territory. Article IV, §3 gives the feds the authority that they need.

What is the problem now?

That's a very cheap defense of martial law, Kirk. If America pulls these tactics in Puerto Rico, you're looking at the newest friend of Venezuela and Cuba and the newest base for Chinese/North Korean/Russian nukes.

Your justification is terrifying. Are you saying that anywhere the United States Constitution is not in force, it's just fine to impose martial law? Are you saying that people have no right not to live under martial law?

Korematsu said it was legal to throw Japanese-Americans into concentration camps, so you run a great moral risk by citing to court decisions.

Neo-Soviets attempt to justify the unjustifiable when they stand up for martial law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Huh? Coastal dwellers were calling it dictatorship in the 1940's.

I know that. You are not a coastal dweller and this is not 1941.

While I disagree with the government frequently, I'm glad political theoreticians, unconcerned with actual security of the country, were not in charge in the 1940s. German has always been difficult for me and I'd never learn Japanese.

Could things have been done better? Absolutely. There is no doubt that mistakes were made, but they were made by people with the actual responsibility to protect, and not by people smashing away on keyboards, hackles raised by people who DO, rather than comment from utter safety.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    While I disagree with the government frequently, I'm glad political theoreticians, unconcerned with actual security of the country, were not in charge in the 1940s. German has always been difficult for me and I'd never learn Japanese.

Could things have been done better? Absolutely. There is no doubt that mistakes were made, but they were made by people with the actual responsibility to protect, and not by people smashing away on keyboards, hackles raised by people who DO, rather than comment from utter safety.

This is the same manner that people defend Obama. So what if he's wrong on a few things, at least he DID something. OK, well, that defense can be used to justify just about any atrocity.

Action for the sake of action sake is not bravery; it is not wisdom; it is not morality. DOing something vile shouldn't earn respect just because it wasn't nothing.

We're talking about people who literally confiscated American citizens' guns, money, property, and threw them in concentration camps. To call this behavior a "mistake" is stunningly apologetic. At what time do we take a principled stand? Ever?

542618_495114963859343_173907743_n.jpg
    <<---- People who DO

Top Bottom