• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's very hard to make this thread, categorize it, and explain it here.

Update: Owner of dog (Max) describes how event unfolded: http://bcove.me/pmk2691k?z=1

CBS story: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...s-to-show-hawthorne-police-fatally-shoot-dog/
    Reason story: http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/01/get-cuffed-for-filming-police-your-dog-g
    HuffPo story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/police-shoot-dog_n_3530990.html
    Another source: http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner
    Another source: http://www.ohmidog.com/2013/07/01/police-in-hawthorne-calif-shoot-bystanders-dog/
    Another source: http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...st-man-for-video-recording-then-kill-his-dog/
    List of current Reddit Threads featuring "Hawthorne": http://www.reddit.com/r/RBI/search?q=hawthorne&t=day

There is a video circulating of police approaching a man filming a riot of some sort. He is hassled by officers, and while the man's dog is barking, one of the officers pulls his sidearm and shoots the dog.

Please. Do not hunt down the video if you don't want to be sad/enraged/livid. The comments in the reddit threads are enough to speak to you on how impactful the video is.

1. I will not post the video for two reasons..
    ......a. It's nearly impossible to find reliably. It's being deleted constantly.
    ......b. I've been banned once already for posting a "sensitive" video.

This is a still shot from the video, it is of the officer drawing down on the dog in question while the other officers apprehend the dog's owner:

http://i.imgur.com/uzYmYuf.jpg

This link is for you to click at your own discretion. It is not graphic, but it is a strong image. I will not stream the picture itself into this thread, again, for sensitive-mod reasons.

I'm posting this thread because this is an event that is fresh, and it is extremely likely to gain country-wide recognition very soon.

Here is the most current r/pics thread.

Hawthorn PD officer loses his cool during an arrest and guns down a dog in front of its owner. : pics

There is a link to the video in that thread, located at liveleak.

The video is hitting YouTube extremely rapidly, as well, and being removed pretty quickly.

Here is the most current r/videos thread (where the original came from, and was deleted by Reddit mods)

**** THA POLICE - Dedicated to the Hawthorne, PD for shooting a dog and the r/videos mods for deleting the related thread. : videos

One member provided the following:

Contact the hawthorne police department with your complaints.
    Non-Emergency Phone (310) 675-4443
    Business (310) 349-2700
    Address 12501 S. Hawthorne Blvd Hawthorne, CA 90250
    email: kswain@cityofhawthorne.org

Once again, I am reporting this as news. I am not posting sensitive material streamed into this post. It's a shame I feel like I have to preface this.

It is your choice to peruse the Reddit threads and your choice to subsequently click a video link.

How do you think the officers should have reacted in this situation? The man was breaking no laws in filming the event taking place.

Thoughts on this: Officers apprehending the man caused the situation in the first place. The man was no longer able to hold his dog.
    The officers chose to bypass tazers for some reason. These were incredibly inept officers.

tl;dr - Hug your dogs tonight.

Last edited:

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Hard one to call. I watched it twice and granted the officer was moving towards the dog, it looks like the dog lunged towards his hand.

It absolutely did. I'm a dog lover, and have owned a rottie. I hate to see this type of thing happen, but the dog lunged to bite the officer, the shooting is justified.

Now, arresting the owner for videotaping is another story all together. If that hadn't taken place, there would have not been a need to shoot the dog.

Sad sad situation.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hate to see a dog shot for trying to protect its owner. Seems this guy was intent on getting some attention from the police. Shame his dog had to pay for his decision.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    At the end of the day, the dog would still be alive if the owner had more properly secured him. I'm sure the cops didn't expect the dog to attack after he was put into the car. Too bad all the way around.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The dog was attacking the cops. This is why you don't taunt the police, or even talk to the police in a situation like that. Nothing good will come of it. I see dummies with their cell phone out taking videos of what!? Nothing. Idiots. Get in your damn houses if their a riot you tards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Dog paid for the officers decision to arrest a guy filming them

I couldn't tell from the video if he was under arrest, being detained or exactly what the reason may have been for either. What I could tell from the video was that this guy was hell bent on drawing their attention and his dog paid the price.

I'm not defending an arrest or detention, simply pointing out how easily it could have been avoided.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I couldn't tell from the video if he was under arrest, being detained or exactly what the reason may have been for either. What I could tell from the video was that this guy was hell bent on drawing their attention and his dog paid the price.

I'm not defending an arrest or detention, simply pointing out how easily it could have been avoided.
    It's all good my friend. You know I don't like you guys and just have to stir the pot occasionally :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It could have been avoided if the officers would have simply stayed down the block where they were. What law did the man break? Yeah, the shooting was justified because the dog posed a danger, but in this case it SEEMS the officers just wanted to exercise their authority and shut the mouth of a person whose comments they did not appreciate.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It could have been avoided if the officers would have simply stayed down the block where they were. What law did the man break? Yeah, the shooting was justified because the dog posed a danger, but in this case it SEEMS the officers just wanted to exercise their authority and shut the mouth of a person whose comments they did not appreciate.

Yeah, I'd say they suspected they weren't being filmed... and thought they'd get away with this. They had other options, up to and including mace/tazer.

The officer further screwed the situation up by making the animal suffer, and not following up on his brash decision by actually ending the life of the dog.

Imagine how the owner had to feel at that point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And he could have easily climbed in his car after putting the dog in there and driven away. He wanted a confrontation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If the guy had just got in his car and left. If only he had secured the dog inside the car. He obviously knew something was up. He should have been allowed to make sure the animal was contained before they took him into custody or detained him. I feel bad for the dog, not for the guy. Stupid!

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    That dog got shot because tha cops tried to arrest that guy for filming, they're responsible for that, it's not right, they should have to pay for that.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    And he could have easily climbed in his car after putting the dog in there and driven away. He wanted a confrontation.

There are things going on in some Cali PDs that any decent officer would not agree with. Some people are upset and if the officers can't take hearing the opinions of the public, they should leave their job. Just because someone may want a confrontation, doesn't mean the officers had to oblige. They called him and if he had proceeded to enter his car and drive off, I'm sure things would have been even worse.

Top Bottom