• ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Profire is awesome. Walmart is not.

If Andrew were closer I would shop there, since he's not I shop at the LGS 10 minutes away for components. No biggie. And I help keep an awesome Gun Shop and Range in business.

Buying stuff from Walmart for firearms is like buying an LCTH from the Brady website...bad stuff.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    thats not always a benifit to small business owners. i had a customer i spent well over a hour with on the phone, about 1 hour with in person and quite a few emails. long story short i walk him in to the perfect scope for his uses and hadnt heard from him for a couple weeks. he called me last night with a question about his new scope. he bought exactly what i recomended but he bought from chris at sport optics because our price was identical, we both shipped for free, but sport optics didnt have to collect tax so they were 30 bucks cheaper (his words). both sport optics and i have the same minimum price we are allowed to sell for so i cant lower my prices any more.

so basically my good customer service earned a big box store some money and i wasted alot of time that could have gone to my customers making them a sale.

needless to say i was not real helpful with the questions he had on his current scope

This reminded me off all the people on here who talk about going to Gander Mountain to "fondle the guns" and then buy elsewhere...you just got it in reverse.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I do believe in supporting your LGS, especially if your lgs deserves support! I don't live close at all to the ones being discussed so I can't comment. We have a few small ones locally; with some being very good and some just so so. I think a lot of people do just shop price and let the chips fall where they may. Personally I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if I feel I am getting good service. Sometimes it depends on who is working that day...........I know this really isn't indicative of many but I did see a lgs last year picking up cheap ammo at wally world and then marking it way up. When asked about his high prices, the comment was: Hey this stuff is hard to get and the market drives the price.....Don't shop there anymore!

When I do get to indy, I always try and stop by Bradis and check them out. Guess I may have to add another stop on the trip.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's a free market, businesses have the right to charge what they choose to, and we have the right to spend our money where we choose to. On that not, I support my LGS whenever I possibly can. I used to buy my handgun ammo at walmart before I started reloading. I buy most of my components locally, except for rifle bullets.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    This whole reloading section has turned into one big advertisement for Pro Fire. I understand that he has some good stuff and is helpful but this adoration is akin to the old cartoon with the two dogs:

"Hey, Spike (slobber, slobber, slobber, slobber), can I come on the porch Spike, (slobber, slobber) can I huh, can I huh, Spike, (slobber, slobber) PLEASE SPIKE, (slobber, slobber)?"

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Stopped by Profire today to pick up a form 4. Upon entering his shop, I was greeted by name and was offered a refreshment. While he was filling out the forms, Andrew was kind enough to answer my reloading questions. This is the kind of service that will make me drive 20 miles out of my way instead of going to wal mart any day.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Long drive

As a resident of St. John I have never met Andrew or visited Profire but after reading all this juicy stuff Im hooked. I'm taking the 2.5 hour drive to his store to meet him and buy my reloading set-up, I'm talking press, dies, powder, everything. I don't care if the big boxes are cheaper or not, there is NO WAY IN HELL that I will ever step foot in China Mart; 46 y.o never have never will, long live family owned businesses.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This whole reloading section has turned into one big advertisement for Pro Fire. I understand that he has some good stuff and is helpful but this adoration is akin to the old cartoon with the two dogs:

Adoration? Not from my quarter. It's called respect, and very few people I meet earn mine. He has.

Andrew is not perfect by any means. Yes, his first post in this thread wasn't the most politic, but I'm willing to give him way, way more latitude than I would most folks in part because I happen to agree with him in principle, but more because he's contributed more to the shooting community than he's gotten from it, even as a businessman, and very few people can say that.

What I would be curious to know is how many people in this thread who have said here that they buy on price or convenience alone, have said elsewhere that folks should buy American. Not that I want to wave the flag of patriotism here, but I see a whole lot of hypocrisy on this subject from some folks who yell the loudest about it.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    spike_and_chester.png

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    How is buying a set of RCBS dies made in california from a Walmart , headquarters bentonville Arkansas, not buying American.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    As a resident of St. John I have never met Andrew or visited Profire but after reading all this juicy stuff Im hooked. I'm taking the 2.5 hour drive to his store to meet him and buy my reloading set-up, I'm talking press, dies, powder, everything.

Make sure you introduce yourself when you come in. I'm looking forward to the visit and meeting you face to face, even if its only for conversation.

Skip, I've done what I can via PM to offer the olive branch. I've offered to buy you lunch, even drive the two hours to meet you on your home ground to talk out our issues which led to your signature line and the thread that caused it. But you've shunned me on all my offers. I've opened myself to conversation with you, offering my time and significant expense to look you in the face and discuss these issues. You rebuffed. Say what that will about you.

Andrew is not perfect by any means. Yes, his first post in this thread wasn't the most politic...[sic]

No, it wasn't, and no, I'm certainly not. But I'm allowed as much as anyone on this - or any other board - to be outwardly project about how I feel. Believe it or not that 90% of people coming through my door over the past few days have referenced this thread. Positive or negative, it's always a good conversation.

BTW, it was good to see you yesterday. I appreciate the early morning coffee time.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    No, it wasn't, and no, I'm certainly not. But I'm allowed as much as anyone on this - or any other board - to be outwardly project about how I feel.

Andrew, I wonder how you feel that this is an "out" for you but I haven't got the same "right", so to speak.

I have absolutely, nothing, nada, not one thing, against you. We do disagree on a host of issues and you nor I have to see eye to eye on any of them. It's called the American way. I approached our differences, one that showed up in this thread, with a bit of satire. Should I have taken the same stance and attitude as you did in your demeanor from the second post? I didn't and now I am blamed for being the instigator! WOWSERS.

Andrew, I am glad your business is successful. I am glad that folks feel that they can come to you and get help, find their supplies, learn more about my second favorite hobby, I LIKE THAT. But when the area of the forum that I like most, where I like to "hang out" digitally becomes an adoration area for anyone, that takes away from the enjoyment I get from it.

So, say what you will. Make accusations about what and who I am.....whatever dude. The proof is in the pudding. You could turn the "spike" thing off in this part of the forum with one small line: "There is a section of the forum dedicated to the sale of items, I have a section there. If you want to know, or have something to say about me or my shop, questions about events, go there and post them, I will monitor them there and respond."

This section doesn't have to be the one for the advertising..........peace.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Skip,

Under your name it says "Site Supporter". Under Andrew's name it says "INGO Advertiser". Under my name it says, "Resident $h!t Disturber".

We all have the same right to post in this PUBLIC forum. The moderators have the right and duty to keep it clean.

When a small business owner speaks out against what big box stores have done to the commerce in this country, I respect that. I also have a lot of respect for someone who has the knowledge and experience to offer excellent service in their chosen field.

If you think this is a love-fest for Andrew and Profire, you can exercise your Constitutional right to b**** about it, or you can choose to not frequent these pages. Personally, I see this thread as a referendum on how Walmart has made PRICE the greatest deciding factor in American consumer purchases. That is screwing up this country, driving a wholesale reduction in the manufacturing of QUALITY American-made products.

If you don't see that, or don't feel it's a problem, that again is your right. Why you would embark on a personal crusade against a small business owner, selling items your are clearly enamored of, is beyond me. If you lived closer to Indianapolis and had met this man, seen his shop, understood the VALUE he is bringing to the reloading community in this area...you would retract your comments and support his efforts, with your words and your wallet.

Do not let proximity, or lack thereof, cloud your perspective on what is happening here. There are 3 Walmarts closer to me than the Profire shop...but I won't be buying reloading equipment from any of them. Understand the difference between price and value...and you'll be buying from your LGS more often.

Top Bottom